AQA GCSE English Literature Relationship Poems

Watch
autarky15
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm doing the poetry paper on Froday and I was just wondering what people's predictions where for Relationships.

Also, I'm confused whether it is better to compare the named poem to a contrasting one or a similar one?

Thanks
Meebcphgrsfar
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't think it matters, depends what is appropriate. Choose based on what you think is relevant, or could always do both.

This may be a bad example but say The Farmer's Bride comes up, you could compare the similarity of the longing of a relationship with Manhunt, but say there is surface tension, like in Brothers.

Either way, this depends on what question you get and is likely to be narrower than this, but there won't be an 'examiner's preference' in whether to choose similarities or differences.

Personally, I find this easier than books because it requires less revision. Especially the unseen poetry as you are judged purely on technique and language analysis, not knowledge of the text. Bearing in mind the unseen is 1/3 of the marks as well, spend some good time on this. I was on course for an A* in the mock until i got 11/18 because I didn't spend enough time on it.

I would be interested to hear other people's predictions as I haven't got a clue.
autarky15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thanks for the reply

(Original post by Meebcphgrsfar)
Don't think it matters, depends what is appropriate. Choose based on what you think is relevant, or could always do both.

This may be a bad example but say The Farmer's Bride comes up, you could compare the similarity of the longing of a relationship with Manhunt, but say there is surface tension, like in Brothers.

Either way, this depends on what question you get and is likely to be narrower than this, but there won't be an 'examiner's preference' in whether to choose similarities or differences.

Personally, I find this easier than books because it requires less revision. Especially the unseen poetry as you are judged purely on technique and language analysis, not knowledge of the text. Bearing in mind the unseen is 1/3 of the marks as well, spend some good time on this. I was on course for an A* in the mock until i got 11/18 because I didn't spend enough time on it.

I would be interested to hear other people's predictions as I haven't got a clue.
thelexisquiche
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The 4 most likely poems to come up are to his coy mistress, sister maude, in paris with you and brothers

(Not sure about brothers, i cant exactly remember what our teacher told us for the fourth one...)
Tarakheradmand
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey could someone have a look at my poetry essay? Thanks
In both poems ‘To his Coy Mistress’ and ‘Hour’, the poetsuse language, structure, and form to present the idea of time, love and theirsexual desires.The premise of time is present within both poems. In ‘To hisCoy Mistress’ the speaker presents this using structure in order to persuadehis listener to submit to a romantic relationship by highlighting the shortnessof time. The poet, Andrew Marvell typically uses iambic pentameter in hispoetry, however ‘to his coy mistress’ is written in iambic tetrameter. Thefaster pace of the poem is indicative of the shortness of time and his rush todelve into a relationship with his listener. Furthermore, the speaker uses the hyperbole of ‘deserts of vasteternity’ to reference the effect of time. This creates tension for the readerand listener and he presents time as a threat since the hyperbole connotes an‘eternity’ of emptiness. In addition to this, Marvell uses religious imagery asa warning of life’s spontaneous mortality. This is presented in the referenceto Elijah’s death in the bible, ‘time’s winged chariot hurrying near’. This isused to persuade his listener to accept his advances as he is showing how lifecan be snatched away in an instant; she should accept his advances before‘time’s winged chariot’ ends one of their lives and the prospect of arelationship is shattered. By doing this, it creates an essence of fear andtension for the reader.In a similar way in ‘Hour’ Duffy uses hyperbole, ‘forthousands of seconds we kiss’ to highlight the richness of love and thepoorness of time. Although ‘thousands’ seems rich, in time a ‘thousand seconds’only equates to 16.6 minutes. This creates tension for the reader as ithighlights time as an antagonist to their love as it stresses it’s shortness inlength. However, Duffy uses the sonnet form to present the idea of victory oflove over time. This is suggested as the sonnet form is ancient, and hassurvived a long time – just like their love will.Both poems use language to highlight the nature of theirpoems. In ‘To his Coy Mistress’, the speaker uses sexual language in order topersuade his listener into having a sexual relationship with him. He uses morbid imagery by expressing to hislistener that the ‘worms shall try that long preserved virginity’. It could beargued that the ‘worms’ are a phallic reference therefore this highlights thefutility of resistance. The morbid imagery is also used as a threat to thelistener therefore highlighting the speaker’s manipulative nature. The speakeris manipulating the listener into a sexual relationship by using the lexis‘worms’ which has gruesome and ghastly connotations to juxtapose with‘virginity’ which is a symbol of purity and cleanliness. This therefore trapsthe listener into succumbing to the speaker’s advances to avoid the morbidsituation. This positions the reader to be in a bias against the speakersintentions as motives are less than honourable. However, Carol Ann Duffy juxtaposes this menacing and morbidtone by expressing the purity of her love. This is conveyed by using a semanticfield of light; she compares her love to a ‘candle’ which ‘chandelier orspotlight’ can compete with. The ‘candle’ is a form of natural lighting whereas‘chandelier’ and ‘spotlight’ are forms of artificial lighting. This highlightsthat her untainted and natural love is provisioned by any impurities. However,it could be argued that her love isn’t as innocent as it appears on thesurface. The nature of the relationship could be seen as an adulterous one,this is indicative in the personification of ‘backhanding the night’. On thesurface this could be perceived as the speaker bribing the ‘night’ to delay itscoming in order to preserve their ‘single hour’ of time together. However isalso suggests that they only ever see each other during the day and never at‘night’, which highlights that they are having an affair. Also the analogy totheir ‘single hour’ suggests that the time they ‘find’ to spend together isarranged and limited as they both have partners to tend to the rest of thetime.Although ‘To his Coy Mistress’ could be perceived to have asexual message, there are strong suggestions that he simply trying to woo alady that he loves. This is suggested through the use of the religious imageryconveying that he will love her ‘ten years before the Flood’ ‘till theconversion of the Jews’. The story of the ‘Flood’ is in the book of Genesis inthe Bible; the book of Genesis is the first book in the Bible. The fact that heloves her ‘before’ this highlights that he was designed to love her before theEarth’s existence. Furthermore ‘the conversion of the Jews’ marks the end oftime, this highlights the enormity of his love as he will love her from thebeginning of time until the end. In a similar way, the relationship in ‘Hour’ highlights thetheme of love by highlighting the perfection of the time spent together. Thisis shown in the second Stanza where the metre rigidly follows the iambicpentameter as opposed to the others where it is only followed loosely. This isreflection of the perfection of this one moment in time. In addition to this,Duffy repeats the phrase “gold” in a tricolour to emphasise to the reader theprecious and contentment gold connotes. This is used to symbolise how valuableand rich her love is. On the other hand, the analogy to the ‘gold’ is areference to the story of Rumpelstilskin in which Carol Ann Duffy created herown adaption for her collection of ‘grimm tales’. This therefore enables thereader to deduce the ‘grim’ and miserable nature of the relationship.In conclusion, both Duffy and Marvell use language,structure and form to present the premise of time, love and sexual desires inrelationships.
lubna1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Meebcphgrsfar)

How many marks did you get in the comparison section of it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (581)
34.24%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (698)
41.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (341)
20.09%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.54%

Watched Threads