kaash19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
interested in English literature (the edexcel board)... do you enjoy the subject? how is the workload? any tips? is there a reading list available/ what texts did yu study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Keiran_Potter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't do edexcel so this may be irrelevant as some exam boards do differ but I'm currently studying AS english lit and I enjoy it quite a lot. A lot of people seem to over exaggerate on the workload and the difficultly but depending on whether you are currently enjoying english lit or have a knack for it, you should find it more than manageable. I studied 6 texts overall, 2 coursework based and the rest exam based but a lot of the reading was done with in class so that helped the work load

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The A-level specs are changing, so they might be somewhat different to what the current Edexcel students are studying. Check out their spec "for 2017 teaching" one. It will tell you all about what's on offer.
thewishfulwriter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I didn't do Edexcel, however I am coming to the end of my WJEC English literature course and can give you a bit of an insight.

In AS I studied:
- 2 collections of poetry for comparison in an exam (Philip Larkin and Dannie Abse)
- 2 set novels for comparative coursework (The Great Gatsby and Atonement)
- 1 play to analyse in an exam (Dancing at Lughnasa)

For A2 I studied:
- 1 drama, 1 poetry collection and 1 novel to compare in coursework (Oranges are Not The Only Fruit, Christina Rossetti's 'Selected Poems' and A Streetcar Named Desire)
- 2 plays for comparison in an exam (The Tempest and Dr Faustus)
- 1 poetry collection to compare with unseen in an exam (Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience)

I've really enjoyed studying English, although it definitely is tough to revise and perfect exam technique. (But if you practise throughout the year, it works out just fine!)

The main thing I would recommend is, if you know the texts you'll be reading, to give a few of them a go over the summer. It'll really help your understanding and you'll get to re-read them again, which helps even more. Also, context becomes a major part of examining English, so always make sure you're up to scratch on that.

Any more questions about English A level, feel free to ask. I know we're not doing the same exam board, but generally things are quite similar (other than the texts!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads