The Student Room Group

First Years In Private Halls?

Ive been looking at univeristy accommodation in mostly Sheffield, Leeds and Liverpool
I like central village in Leeds but read it's hard to get into, and I don't like any other halls the university's do, so I've been looking at private halls like fresh student living but I was wondering if many first years go in private halls? and is it harder to meet people? Also will you get placed with people in first year and on similar courses to you?
Original post by EthenHughess
Ive been looking at univeristy accommodation in mostly Sheffield, Leeds and Liverpool
I like central village in Leeds but read it's hard to get into, and I don't like any other halls the university's do, so I've been looking at private halls like fresh student living but I was wondering if many first years go in private halls? and is it harder to meet people? Also will you get placed with people in first year and on similar courses to you?

Just be cautious as to signing anything with a private provider.

I'd almost always suggest going with university provided accommodation - you said that you'd read a place was hard to get into. You'll not find out yourself unless you apply for it. :wink:

From my experience with people living in private accommodation.. There'll be freshers there probably, if not second years. You'll probably not have the student village vibe as you do living on campus and I doubt they'd place you on similar courses.

Cheers

RF
It's not till next year anyway so was just wondering haha

Cheers for reply

Original post by Roving Fish
Just be cautious as to signing anything with a private provider.

I'd almost always suggest going with university provided accommodation - you said that you'd read a place was hard to get into. You'll not find out yourself unless you apply for it. :wink:

From my experience with people living in private accommodation.. There'll be freshers there probably, if not second years. You'll probably not have the student village vibe as you do living on campus and I doubt they'd place you on similar courses.

Cheers

RF

From what I've heard private halls often tend to attract more second years plus and international students than a university owned hall, simply because most freshers turn to university owned halls first of all. Also it depends on the university/hall as to whether they put people on similar courses together- for example I lived in university owned halls (not at any of the unis you've mentioned though) and my flatmates were all on totally different courses.
Yeah that's what I read so just wanted to make sure, oh I just assumed they put you with people on similar courses haha.
What univeristy did you go to?

Original post by jelly1000
From what I've heard private halls often tend to attract more second years plus and international students than a university owned hall, simply because most freshers turn to university owned halls first of all. Also it depends on the university/hall as to whether they put people on similar courses together- for example I lived in university owned halls (not at any of the unis you've mentioned though) and my flatmates were all on totally different courses.
Yeah that's what I read so just wanted to make sure, oh I just assumed they put you with people on similar courses haha.
What univeristy did you go to?

Think its entirely down the university how they group people- some will and some won't. I went to UEA
From what I've heard private halls often tend to attract more second years plus and international students than a university owned hall, simply because most freshers turn to university owned halls first of all.

This is absolutely spot on.

It entirely depends on the location, as some Universities do not provide accommodation themselves, and as such we have communities that are completely made up of first year students (Raffles House for example).

In the majority of our other houses, we have a complete mixture of first years and older residents. When placing them within our houses, we try to keep them together based on their preferences, and if they don't provide any, then we'll try to put them by academic year instead (I think all our other communities fall under this situation) so that they do not feel excluded from the university experience.

I herd that some Unis put first years in to privet halls if normal halls are filled up the nice thing about privet halls is that the rooms are usually bigger and they are usually en-suet so no weighting for the bathroom or toilet so it's win win and if you are near the uni hall you don't miss much
Original post by New- Emperor
I herd that some Unis put first years in to privet halls if normal halls are filled up the nice thing about privet halls is that the rooms are usually bigger and they are usually en-suet so no weighting for the bathroom or toilet so it's win win and if you are near the uni hall you don't miss much

they are also normally more expensive than university halls though so depends if you can afford it. And you only need to do a quick google to see all the problems people have had with unite
Reply 9
Hello everybody
Am an international student coming to NTU. am getting uneasy with accommodation.can someone help plz? i prefer a quiet place.( postgraduate) will be best
they are also normally more expensive than university halls though so depends if you can afford it. And you only need to do a quick google to see all the problems people have had with unite

It entirely depends what the University Halls and Private Accommodation provides to do a fair cost analysis. I'm not sure about other providers, but we try to include a lot of additional extras to offer more value to our residents than University Halls.

I must stress that both UH and PA both have their positives and negatives! But it would entirely depend on the individual and their needs to what would be best value.
Hey :wink:

I don´t know anything about fresh student living in sheffield, leeds and liverpool, but I know a lot about fresh student living in London (Vauxhall) and if it´s just similar in the other cities DON´T LIVE THERE. It´s the worst place to live. It ruins your experience. I lived here the last 9 month and I wished somebody told me before I moved it what´s really going on here.

I had one or two problems with unite like helpfully changing the locks without telling me while I was out at uni and paper thin walls. But apart from that it was all good it's run by Liberty living more my brother wen't to arivert heal run by Liberty and LOVED it. I mean you may have to make a littel more effort in freshers week on the Big Night out or equivalent but you know you find out when everyone is meeting Possably the Su bar and then you hook up with a group and it's all good.
Original post by Marie-Christin
Hey :wink:

I don´t know anything about fresh student living in sheffield, leeds and liverpool, but I know a lot about fresh student living in London (Vauxhall) and if it´s just similar in the other cities DON´T LIVE THERE. It´s the worst place to live. It ruins your experience. I lived here the last 9 month and I wished somebody told me before I moved it what´s really going on here.

What was so bad about it.
I've just booked my halls for first year and I couldn't be happier. If you're looking in Liverpool check out St Cyprians Halls of Residence on Edge Lane. Its so beautiful and massive! Also I have friends staying in Penny Lane Halls next year, they look amazing although they're shared kitchens and I wanted a studio. Both lovely places managed by the same lovely people. I would recommend them :smile:

I would certainly recommend University accomodation. They're so much more organised and you will 95% be put with freshers!

Best year of my life!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest