?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Posted from TSR Mobile
PacifistxFuture
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
I had strainted my lower back and leg muscles, by excessive exercise/weight lifting 3 days ago , I'm 18. I would be grateful for someone to answer my questions.

1. Does muscle tear/ strain stop growth? By growth I mean both my height and muscle .

2. Will my muscles be as strong as they were? I know that scar tissue forms which is less flexible, but is stronger, is this true?

I find it difficult to walk short distances and have severe pain even if I sit or lie down. I have gone to the emergency department but they have said it would be best to apply home treatments/massages, and that there is no need for an x ray. I'm going to see my GP today... The pain remains; there is significant but little improvement.

Please dont comment on how irresponsible I was, my 12 month workout routine was fine so far, but I got carried away, lightly speaking.
t.thompson22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, sorry to hear about your current situation. I'm a competitive runner and I know exactly what a muscle tear or strain feels like!

A muscle strain will not alter your growth in terms of your height, as were talking about the muscular system here and not the skeletal system. Although, you may have damaged a tendon which is responsible for muscle - bone connection. In terms of the size of your muscles, swelling, bruising and internal bleeding may affect this. But after a while I don't think it'll set you back on muscular hyper trophy.

Although after the injury you may loose some strength as the muscle fibres would have been damaged and may still be repairing, so I'd recommend not jumping into a 400 pound deadlift straight away following your injury!

A muscle strain of tear will not make your muscles stronger, the "whatever doesnt kill you makes you stronger" phrase cannot be applied here. As I said, your strength may be lacking when you return back to the gym due to the loss and damage of muscle fibres, as there's not as near as much of them to contract.

There's no need for an X Ray because again were talking about th muscular system. Although if you believed youve SPRAINED a bone, then you must seek help elsewhere.

If say use "RICE," rest, ice, compression and elevation. And drink lots and lots of water, this will lubricate the muscle and the surrounding joints, allowing you a better range of motion. Perhaps alternating between a hot and cold shower will help too? Flushing blood continously into the muscle this way as you find it hard to do any kind of cardio.

Hope this helps!
PacifistxFuture
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads