The Student Room Group

Atheists! Why don't you believe in God and what do you believe the purpose of life is

Hello, I just wanted to ask kindly, in no demeaning nature watsoever, why dont you believe there is one God? Superior and more just than all.

And IYO what do you believe the purpose in life is :smile: ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I don't believe there is a God for the same reason I don't believe in unicorns: I have no reason or evidence to believe it exists therefore I don't waste my time thinking about it.

I don't believe there is a purpose in life.
Original post by m-hussain
Hello, I just wanted to ask kindly, in no demeaning nature watsoever, why dont you believe there is one God? Superior and more just than all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think there's a god because I have no reason to think there is one. Things which exist I can find out about without having to rely on things by trust I don't see why I should suspend my scepticism for this area. I don't believe in ghosts or magic or other paranormal things either.

I'm not sure there is a purpose in life. Each person is in charge of their own life and can find their own purpose. There aren't any hard and fast aims. I want to have a happy life and feel fulfilled in what I do.
Reply 3
Original post by k9markiii
I don't think there's a god because I have no reason to think there is one. Things which exist I can find out about without having to rely on things by trust I don't see why I should suspend my scepticism for this area. I don't believe in ghosts or magic or other paranormal things either.

I'm not sure there is a purpose in life. Each person is in charge of their own life and can find their own purpose. There aren't any hard and fast aims. I want to have a happy life and feel fulfilled in what I do.

May I ask you have you found your purpose in life?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I get why people have faith and do not judge theists for that belief. People have the freedom to choose. For me it's no leap of faith to realise that God is created in the image of flawed and fallible men and not the other way around.

All of my knowledge, logic and instinct tells me that believing in a God is simply wishful thinking, no more or less than children believing in faeries or talking wooden puppets with long noses. Religion developed at a time when virtually nothing was known about the world outside of the local region. The only viable explanations (at that ancient time) for how the universe and life on earth worked, developed out of ignorance (not meant in a derogatory way) through superstition, local observation, power struggles, brutality and war with rudimentary forms of punitive law and order. Populations were controlled by fear because that is the only thing people universally understood and responded to at the time and most definitely survival of the fittest ruled supreme.

Abject misery reigned over the lives of all but the very few at the top of the hierarchy. Slavery, disease, famine, drought, infant mortality, pain and suffering, pestilence, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, floods etc. were all heaped on each other (with nothing to explain why) and there was no respite or hope for most and not even the richest or the most pious were spared.

Religions developed and evolved - each regeneration claiming to be better than the last failed attempt and each vying for the hearts and minds of the populations. The behaviours and laws of these Abrahamic God's reflect the brutality of life at the time - and provide an historical insight to the personality and beliefs of the people who were at the top of the social and control pyramids.

It's no coincidence that religious leaders wrestled control from other mortals by creating a God who needed to be placed unreachably above these rulers and all other religions (one true almighty God with no peers); with power that comprehensively usurped them (omnipotence and miracles); with a powerful message of fear, pain and eternal death for those who would be disloyal or disobedient (punitive laws and ultimately hell fire); but with a goal of hope and bliss in a paradise for all ones desires that rewards loyal obedient subjects (can't do much about this life, just wait till you are dead); and all from the love of a just and benevolent God (thanks daddy, I promise never to question your authority).

All of which needed to be passed down, recorded and propagated through the generations in texts placed beyond the questioning and challenge of all comers. You guessed it: the divinely created and inspired Torah, Bible and Qur'an.

Then along came education, science and the period of enlightenment. God as a concept is ever more marginalised in both time and space to the point of being irrational and absurd.

The Abrahamic God is by all accounts a product of the time: misogynistic, egotistical, psychopathic, hypocritical, sadistic, vengeful and above all, a lying brute. In other words, all of the mortal traits and behaviours needed to stay in power and control if you were a ruler at that time, but God has to be even more so.

Since God does not exist, I can say that. In my humble opinion of course.

Life is whatever you want to make out of it. Evolution has given us consciousness and with it, the freedom to choose.
(edited 8 years ago)
May I ask you have you found your purpose in life?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a single purpose at this stage but the thing is I learn more every day so my ideas are constantly updating so I can follow my interests.
I don't believe in god because it seems clear to me that god(s) were invented by men, not the other way around. As for life's purpose, that depends on the person. I care about being happy myself and spreading happiness to others, I also care about learning as much as we possibly can. I'm trying to become a teacher, because I think that is among the most helpful careers one could possibly have.
Reply 7
If there were no god then there would be less people fighting over religion. Each to thier own belief but i really hope im alive to see scientists prove there is no god!! I am studying A level religion and the more i learn the more i disbelieve!
Original post by mjrd
If there were no god then there would be less people fighting over religion. Each to thier own belief but i really hope im alive to see scientists prove there is no god!! I am studying A level religion and the more i learn the more i disbelieve!

That the universe is expanding at a rate that is proportional to its distance thus must have come from a single point and expanded from there.

Doesnt really work with religion ha.
Reply 9
For the same reasons mentioned above.

There isn't sufficient proof for me to even begin to believe. That said, If it was apparent that there were god(s), then that would be very different.

As for the reason of life. The same reasons every other living thing on the planet shares, we just 'are'.
Reply 10
Because there is no evidence to suggest that such a god exists. Especially not the god of the Abrahamic religions.

More just? Eternal torture for a few years of doubt? How is that just?

Why does there have to be a purpose? Do dogs have a purpose, or salmon, or beetles?
To reproduce and pass our genes on to the next generation is probably the closest to a "purpose".
Reply 11
Original post by QE2
Because there is no evidence to suggest that such a god exists. Especially not the god of the Abrahamic religions.

More just? Eternal torture for a few years of doubt? How is that just?

Why does there have to be a purpose? Do dogs have a purpose, or salmon, or beetles?
To reproduce and pass our genes on to the next generation is probably the closest to a "purpose".

We are not the same as those creatures, we are intelligent beings

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Dogs are intelligent, just less intelligent than us. Some of the primates are quite intelligent, and many marine mammals have the potentialto be more intelligent. Is there a level of intelligence, below which a purpose is not required? If a human has reduced intelligence for whatever reason, do they not have a purpose?

Quite simply, there is no evidence that a purpose is required, life works perfectly without one. To insist that there is, is merely an argument from personal incredulity or wishful thinking.
i dont believe in god..

there! and i do not provide reasons

WHAT YOU GON DO?
Reply 14
i believe the ultimate, unison purpose in life is to die - the only thing everyone does.

people can still fulfill 'goals' and other things in life to feel they have lived an effective life but ultimately, we all die.
I don't believe in god because I have not seen any evidence to convince me he exists.

The literal interpretation of religious texts have been debunked quite thoroughly, the idea of an omnipotent, omniscienct and omnibenevolent god doesn't fit with the world we see today, and our existence can be explained through theories such as Evolution without the need for divine intervention.
Reply 16

Posted from TSR Mobile

We came from apes. We were not always intelligent, we involved! So your saying there must be a puropse for intelligent people? We are not all intelligent, what about people born with brain damage and who are considered to have very low intelligence? Does that mean they have no purpose in life or animals have no purpose in life? Maybe i dont have a purpose as my iq is on low average side due to my autism? Oh well i dont know and dont care. The more i study religion and philosophy the more i dont believe in god and dont give a crap about my purpose in life. Im enjoying college, scuba diving and my life in general and thats all that matters to me!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mjrd
We came from apes.
Just a little correction if I may be so bold: humans and apes share a common ancestry which was neither human nor ape.

It's a fallacy to suggest humans evolved from apes and is why many theists like to ridicule evolution.
Most people say that they don't believe because 'there is no evidence that he exists'. There is also no evidence that he does not exist. Just because someone hasn't discovered that something isn't there doesn't necessarily mean it isn't there. This is termed a Fallacy .Then Jesus told him, 'Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed'” (John 20:29).
If he really doesn't exist, the universe had a start - what caused it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you need to believe in God to give your life purpose? If anything it's the other way round, religious people have their purpose dictated and chosen for them by God and their scriptures, whereas non-religious people can pick any purpose they like.

Quick Reply

Latest