The Student Room Group

English Literature: POETRY EXAM FRIDAY 22ND MAY 2015

Scroll to see replies

Is unseen 3 paragraphs, and the known poems just intro, peel and conclusion?
Original post by Muhammad Shafi
how do I structure an essay of comparing two poems

Tbh I think its better if you compare theme wise because it allows you to explore how both poems present a theme. For example one poem may show death in a sarcastic manner through juxtaposition whereas another could show it through euphemism. Through this you get both analysis and comparison

Anyone doing the taking a stand collection?
Reply 22
Ok so for Edexcel English Poetry I believe it's a 20 mark and two 15 markers :s-smilie:. How many points should I use for each and should
I use a PEE format and/or a conclusion or intro? Keep in mind one of the 15 markers is a comparison. Help pls
Original post by Willy98
Ok so for Edexcel English Poetry I believe it's a 20 mark and two 15 markers :s-smilie:. How many points should I use for each and should
I use a PEE format and/or a conclusion or intro? Keep in mind one of the 15 markers is a comparison. Help pls

You need to split your time. I don't think you should worry about how many points you put down. Just put as many as you can in the time you have. Sooo the whole thing is 1hr 30mins so who have 45m for each essay. I would always leave like 10 mins for the analysis of each poem or texts so I know what I'm writing. But put as many points as possible and your conclusion is the important bit leave say 7mins for that. :smile: have fun in the exam!!!
Reply 24
Original post by me_a_genius?
You need to split your time. I don't think you should worry about how many points you put down. Just put as many as you can in the time you have. Sooo the whole thing is 1hr 30mins so who have 45m for each essay. I would always leave like 10 mins for the analysis of each poem or texts so I know what I'm writing. But put as many points as possible and your conclusion is the important bit leave say 7mins for that. :smile: have fun in the exam!!!

Alright thanks, for a question which may ask me about how something is presented or the significance of a theme or idea in a poem, how should I conclude that. Should I sum up my points and assess the importance of this theme or idea? Thx again
Original post by Willy98
Alright thanks, for a question which may ask me about how something is presented or the significance of a theme or idea in a poem, how should I conclude that. Should I sum up my points and assess the importance of this theme or idea? Thx again

Well the examiners always love to see your ideas and opinions, so in the conclusion you can go wild if you like and say your opinion! But yeah in the main body of the text thats all the deep analysis and stuff, the conclusion brings everything together into one last summary. so yes sum up the points and answer the question given, the importance and what not :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by shahkush11
Tyger is hard
ideas that creating tyger was difficult procces
concept of creationism through contrast and language of industry
interrogatives questioning rhythm created
regulat aabb rhym pattern advance his questioning of the concept of creationism

Thank you. do you have any predicitions on what will come up this year?
is anyone doing the somewhere anywhere collection, what ones do you reckon could come up?

how is everyone preparing for the unseen are you doing practice poems or just learning the anthology ones??
Wht r u guys doing to compare to brother, sister maude and quickdraw if tey turn up?
Original post by Ruby.d

ugh The Tyger. Hard poem, love it though! I mean Blake can't even spell Tiger properly so its a doomed poem right from the start.
And if we could predict what was going to come up, do you think we'd be sat here revising. Nope. we wouldn't. Don't waste time trying to predict whats coming up on a test, theres no point.
Hello there
I seem to have a problem with my GCSE Literature Exam, I have done my Oman and Inspector Calls exam but now I have my Unseen Poetry and Poetry exam tomorrow. I don't know what type of poem it'll be. We were not told by our teachers or anything which makes me a bit nervous. How come people on here know what type of poem they're doing like Relationships, Place or Conflict.
Can someone please help?

Thank you
Reply 31
Well the examiners always love to see your ideas and opinions, so in the conclusion you can go wild if you like and say your opinion! But yeah in the main body of the text thats all the deep analysis and stuff, the conclusion brings everything together into one last summary. so yes sum up the points and answer the question given, the importance and what not :smile:

Kl thanks again, and good luck :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Ceirion Jones
Hello there
I seem to have a problem with my GCSE Literature Exam, I have done my Oman and Inspector Calls exam but now I have my Unseen Poetry and Poetry exam tomorrow. I don't know what type of poem it'll be. We were not told by our teachers or anything which makes me a bit nervous. How come people on here know what type of poem they're doing like Relationships, Place or Conflict.
Can someone please help?

Thank you

Tomorrows exam consists of an unseen poetry or prose and there's a essay question on section c anthology. we are predicting section c. hope that helps
Original post by Ruby.d
Tomorrows exam consists of an unseen poetry or prose and there's a essay question on section c anthology. we are predicting section c. hope that helps

Tyger is the poem about questioning gods abilities and small talk of the Industrial Revolution yeah?
Hello there
Can someone please help?

Thank you

Well.... sometimes in the exam it will ask you about a theme say childhood for example. It's not that bad really. You just need to make sure that what you're analysing refers back to the question in hand. So if its referring to the theme of Childhood, talk about innocence, nostalgia and all that rubbish. Just read the question lots of times. Thats what I do :smile:
Well.... sometimes in the exam it will ask you about a theme say childhood for example. It's not that bad really. You just need to make sure that what you're analyzing refers back to the question in hand. So if its referring to the theme of Childhood, talk about innocence, nostalgia and all that rubbish. Just read the question lots of times. Thats what I do :smile:

Thank you for that, our English teacher only just gave us our anthology 3 days ago but we have had it in school, barely any time to revise
Original post by Ruby.d

no idea
you can use this for tyger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtDEl2zsV-8

and for the rest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTCtb7LDBDI&list=PLOu_Bh5xymf4oX76fRYBVZvLeDQ4ZEZIP
Reply 38
anyone think william blake will come up for unseen poetry?
Thank you for that, our English teacher only just gave us our anthology 3 days ago but we have had it in school, barely any time to revise

Oh wow, thats one hell of a teacher. I think just spend a bit of time having a look at the analysis of the poems and a quick look at past questions so you are prepared for what might crop up. Also if you can be bothered have a look at the examiner reports they tell you exactly what the examiner is looking for! :smile: good luck for the exam!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending