Reply 80
What time does it generally open/close?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 81
madtaz
What time does it generally open/close?

its open 24 hours a day. you just need your girovend to get in.
Reply 82
Interesting.

How about the college/university library? Are there a large range of books, in particular science? Also, are these books new, or are they all stuck in dust.
Reply 83
celeritas
Interesting.

How about the college/university library? Are there a large range of books, in particular science? Also, are these books new, or are they all stuck in dust.

The Bod is a copyright library so there's a copy of every single book published. The college library is open from 8.30 to midnight and the uni libraries have different opening and closing times.

ps, its best to find out stuff when you get here. its part of the fun of the first term.
Reply 84
mikeyT
The Bod is a copyright library so there's a copy of every single book published. The college library is open from 8.30 to midnight and the uni libraries have different opening and closing times.

ps, its best to find out stuff when you get here. its part of the fun of the first term.

Fun for some people, lol. I can live without a bit of fun. :p:

Wow - copy of every single book published??!? Do you just mean those published in the UK or the whole world? And I can imagine many books would be booked out in an instant. Or are the books are to be only read within the library - i.e. no taking out rule - I've heard that somewhere.
Reply 85
celeritas
Fun for some people, lol. I can live without a bit of fun. :p:

Wow - copy of every single book published??!? Do you just mean those published in the UK or the whole world? And I can imagine many books would be booked out in an instant. Or are the books are to be only read within the library - i.e. no taking out rule - I've heard that somewhere.

I think i might leave that for you to find out when you get here. But there are usually lots of copies of the core texts.
Reply 86
mikey, what are you studying?
Reply 87
mikeyT

Not true. The Bod is a copyright library and therefore is offered a copy of every book published in the UK. It doesn't take all of them. Generally that's not a problem - if for instance you wanted a copy of the Hungry Caterpillar then yes it's in there. Also that crazy book about the woman on the bicycle who keeps adding extra things... Freddie and I stack requested it. But it's not true that it has every book

As a scientist most of your set texts are likely to come from the Hooke lending library which has loads of copies of all the set texts plus generally a copy or two of all the slightly obscure books tutors want you to read.

For really obscure stuff there's the RSL, which isn't lending so you have to work there (shame I'm not a fan of the atmosphere there)
Reply 88
Bekaboo

Not true. The Bod is a copyright library and therefore is offered a copy of every book published in the UK. It doesn't take all of them. Generally that's not a problem - if for instance you wanted a copy of the Hungry Caterpillar then yes it's in there. Also that crazy book about the woman on the bicycle who keeps adding extra things... Freddie and I stack requested it. But it's not true that it has every book

Just yesterday, I found a book that wasn't in the Bod. In fact, I think the only copy of this particular book is in Cambridge.
Reply 89
celeritas
mikey, what are you studying?

the subject feared by all.....maths.
Reply 90
mikeyT
the subject feared by all.....maths.

Not me. I do further maths A2. :p:
Reply 91
mikey, what's maths like at catz? I know that that's a pretty vague question, but is maths particularly strong here and what are the tutors like etc? Just because I might be coming next year. Thanks a lot!
Reply 92
alakazam!
mikey, what's maths like at catz? I know that that's a pretty vague question, but is maths particularly strong here and what are the tutors like etc? Just because I might be coming next year. Thanks a lot!

The tutors that the first and second years have aren't the same as the ones that I had in those years so I don't know what they're like. But there are two that I'm still sort of taught by. One of them is really good and supportive- he explains things well. The other is a world expert in something to do with applied maths and he was the reason I got a first in my second year exams. (You have intercollegiate classes in the third year so that's why I'm sort of taught by these tutors- I only go to them if I really need help with a specific topic).

Maths at Catz seems more laid back than most other colleges and it does seem stronger at some other colleges. But saying that, we do get a good number of people that get firsts and 2:1s.

I don't know if that answers your question but if you have any others then do ask.
Reply 93
What's the vibe like in St. Catz - with the relatively new modern infrastructure do you still get the Oxford buzz?
Reply 94
Approximately how much do you spend a year (total cost) ?
Reply 95
celeritas
What's the vibe like in St. Catz - with the relatively new modern infrastructure do you still get the Oxford buzz?

What do you mean by Oxford buzz? I know I'm at Oxford and its a world class uni but what exactly do you mean?
The atmosphere at Catz is laid back and relaxed although this year's freshers' aren't that much fun.
Reply 96
mikeyT

The atmosphere at Catz is laid back and relaxed although this year's freshers' aren't that much fun.

Obviously can't speak for them all, but your new JCR VP definitely is! He's a good friend of mine.
Reply 97
madtaz
Approximately how much do you spend a year (total cost) ?

I don't actually keep track of my spending because I somehow know when I should spend less and I have money leftover from my summer jobs.
Rent costs about £2500. I probably spend about £40 on food per week because I usually eat in hall for lunch and dinner. Then there's various other expenses. So it probably adds up to about £5000-£6000 a year.
Reply 98
mikeyT
What do you mean by Oxford buzz? I know I'm at Oxford and its a world class uni but what exactly do you mean?

What do you mean not that much fun?
Reply 99
celeritas
What do you mean not that much fun?

Talking to some of them is like trying to catch an elephant with a mouse trap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending