oak12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am the Head of Biology at Birmingham Tuition Centre - I have uploaded my resources in terms of Revision Notes and Questions Packs previously.

I have opened this forum as a revision portal - I will aim to answer student's questions promptly, which can be posted in this forum.

Bare in mind that I have uploaded the Unit 1 Revision Notes again - so any questions that are found in there I will ask you to refer to the notes and expand if required.

I am willing to run this forum for as long as required - throughout the night if required, based on student's needs and enquiries.

oak 12
Attached files
Ellebann
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by oak12)
I am the Head of Biology at Birmingham Tuition Centre - I have uploaded my resources in terms of Revision Notes and Questions Packs previously.

I have opened this forum as a revision portal - I will aim to answer student's questions promptly, which can be posted in this forum.

Bare in mind that I have uploaded the Unit 1 Revision Notes again - so any questions that are found in there I will ask you to refer to the notes and expand if required.

I am willing to run this forum for as long as required - throughout the night if required, based on student's needs and enquiries.

oak 12
Firstly thanks for the revision this is useful! I was also wondering if you had any tips on answering application questions as I find them very difficult?! Thanks
oak12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ellebann)
Firstly thanks for the revision this is useful! I was also wondering if you had any tips on answering application questions as I find them very difficult?! Thanks
First thing: in the revision notes - the first few questions have the standard data questions/answers

Second thing: for evaluate questions the revision notes have a standard approach on how to answer with agree points first, then disagree points second - remember with disagree points you have to add extra logical/scientific points (e.g. compare the wording of the conclusion to the data - conclusion says cancer but data says lung cancer or conclusion says prevent but data says risk, and discuss other flaws like amount of caffeine in tea unknown or cigarette brands vary in nicotine amounts)

Third thing: work through all the application/data questions in the past papers (get hang on answering style, level and points)

Fourth thing: work through data question pack (uploaded below)
oak12
Rep:
?
Data Question Pack
Ellebann
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by oak12)
First thing: in the revision notes - the first few questions have the standard data questions/answers

Second thing: for evaluate questions the revision notes have a standard approach on how to answer with agree points first, then disagree points second - remember with disagree points you have to add extra logical/scientific points (e.g. compare the wording of the conclusion to the data - conclusion says cancer but data says lung cancer or conclusion says prevent but data says risk, and discuss other flaws like amount of caffeine in tea unknown or cigarette brands vary in nicotine amounts)

Third thing: work through all the application/data questions in the past papers (get hang on answering style, level and points)

Fourth thing: work through data question pack (uploaded below)
Thankyou very much!! Hopefully I can improve :/
oak12
Rep:
?
Quiet, no on has any questions/issues?
Jerry162
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, was just wondering what question you think is likely to come up this year also the revision notes are excellent!
oak12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jerry162)
Hi, was just wondering what question you think is likely to come up this year also the revision notes are excellent!
Its a hard question to answer,
what has not really come up for a while:

- chemical tests
- structure of collagen
- cell fractionation
- asthma
- monoclonal antibodies

as a few examples
Jerry162
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by oak12)

- chemical tests
- structure of collagen
- cell fractionation
- asthma
- monoclonal antibodies

as a few examples
Thank you very much , will keep in mind
Neurotoxicity
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What's the structure of collagen?

Hey

usually I look at past papers for revision, but am I right assuming your note question sheets consist of past paper common answer questions and thus I can just look through these?

Thanks so much theyre excellent!

Thank you very much , will keep in mind
Neurotoxicity
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry meant to tag Oak

(Original post by Neurotoxicity)

Hey

usually I look at past papers for revision, but am I right assuming your note question sheets consist of past paper common answer questions and thus I can just look through these?

(Original post by oak12)

- chemical tests
- structure of collagen
- cell fractionation
- asthma
- monoclonal antibodies

as a few examples
oak12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neurotoxicity)

Hey

The structure of Collagen is covered in the Revision Notes:
  • strong material, used to build tendons/ligaments/connective tissues
  • primary structure mainly made up of glycine (simplest amino acid)
  • secondary structure forms a tight coil (not much branching due to glycine)
  • tertiary structure coils again
  • quaternary structure made from 3 tertiary structures wrapped around each other like rope
  • = a collagen molecule
  • many of these collagen molecules make the tendons/ligaments/connective tissues
I would definitely recommend going through the past papers as well
oak12
Rep:
?
Any Issues?
Charlie999112
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by oak12)
Any Issues?
Sorry I was not able to question anything this time round but I was wandering whether you would do a similar thing for unit 2 as I have your notes late and was busy learning them. Thank you very much for the notes and your time.
oak12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlie999112)
Sorry I was not able to question anything this time round but I was wandering whether you would do a similar thing for unit 2 as I have your notes late and was busy learning them. Thank you very much for the notes and your time.

Yeh, I will - just look out for it a day before the exam
Charlie999112
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by oak12)
Yeh, I will - just look out for it a day before the exam
Thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads