The Student Room Group

AQA AS Biology Unit 2 - 1 June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lawliettt
Then I'm 100% baffled. In a past paper it pointed to the cross section of a root and asked you to label the features. It pointed to what i thought was the endodermis yet the mark scheme specifically said "reject Endodermis" and only accept endothelium. So i went back into my book and looked at the exact same diagram with the exact same labeling and they called it endodermis too. Ugh.

What paper was that?
Original post by 28Ikky
Hahaha :biggrin: I am generally worried now

Ahaha :smile: I'm incredibly worried too ;(.
Dont worry-you'll be okay. Just take your time reading every question properly and just be positive bc you can totally do it aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ibti1516
What is a genetic bottleneck and founder's effect?

genetic bottleneck is when you have a significant drop in population, causing a reduction in genetic diversity because the gene pool is small, as the survivers reproduce.

The founder effect is when a small group of founders start a population, they become isolated due to geographical consequences or religion, there is a reduced genetic diversity because they have a small gene pool, they also breed within the same group so theres a higher chance of inheriting a faulty allele.
Original post by Anon_98
Ahaha :smile: I'm incredibly worried too ;(.
Dont worry-you'll be okay. Just take your time reading every question properly and just be positive bc you can totally do it aha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment i am doing the june 2012 and actually quite enjoying it :smile: hope the paper is nice like this one!
Original post by tropical123
What would you write for selective breeding if it was a 6 marker?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Selective breeding is the deliberate breeding breeding of animals and plants with desired characteristics /traits in order to perpetuate certain characteristics/or eliminate others.
Advantages
It produces high yielding animals and plants.
Animals and plants can be bred to have increased tolerance of bad conditions.

It can be used.to produce animals that have increased resistance to disease, so less antibiotics and pesticides have to be used.
Disadvantages
It can cause health problems.
It reduces genetic diversity,which results in increased incidence of genetic disease and increased susceptibility to new diseases because of a smaller gene pool and higher allele frequency of any mutated gene responsible for a genetic illness.
genetic bottleneck: An event that causes a big decrease in a population, reducing the number of alleles in a gene pool founder's effect: When a few individuals from a population start a new colony
image.jpg

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN Q A??

THE ANSWER IS 'X IS BETWEEN ZYGOTE AND SPORES' bUT I THOUGHT IT WAS BEFORE GAMETE
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Selective breeding is the deliberate breeding breeding of animals and plants with desired characteristics /traits in order to perpetuate certain characteristics/or eliminate others.
Advantages
It produces high yielding animals and plants.
Animals and plants can be bred to have increased tolerance of bad conditions.

It can be used.to produce animals that have increased resistance to disease, so less antibiotics and pesticides have to be used.
Disadvantages
It can cause health problems.
It reduces genetic diversity,which results in increased incidence of genetic disease and increased susceptibility to new diseases because of a smaller gene pool and higher allele frequency of any mutated gene responsible for a genetic illness.

thank u so much
can explain what they would write for a 6 marker on osmotic lysis
Hey, any predictions on what the final 15 mark questions will be on based on previous past papers?

Thank You
Original post by Questioner1234
What paper was that?

Ohhh never mind i'm being retarded. That picture was a blood vessel
Original post by Amyjonesx
When does crossing-over occur? Metaphase 1?

Meiosis 1.
Original post by flylikeafly
can explain what they would write for a 6 marker on osmotic lysis

Heres my effort:

* Antibiotic inhibit synthesis of peptide cross linkage in cell walls
* preventing them from making cell walls
* which weakens the cell walls and cant withstand pressure
* so they are unable to prevent water entering
* they would burst- osmotic lysis

can only think of 5 main points and I dont think they will ask this for 6 marks, maybe they will add another part to the questions like how antibiotics dont work for certain bacteria in which case, youll have more to write about
Original post by 28Ikky
At the moment i am doing the june 2012 and actually quite enjoying it :smile: hope the paper is nice like this one!

Ahh- well that's great ahah!- I might try it out if I have time. Hopefully you'll find it to be the same way, yes. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IamJuggernaut
Heres my effort:

can only think of 5 main points and I dont think they will ask this for 6 marks, maybe they will add another part to the questions like how antibiotics dont work for certain bacteria in which case, youll have more to write about

Talk about water potential
Lower water potential in bacteria so water enters bacteria by osmosis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IamJuggernaut
Heres my effort:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would also mention water potential gradient and osmosis.
Original post by tropical123
thank u so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welcome :smile:
Original post by Anon_98
Ahh- well that's great ahah!- I might try it out if I have time. Hopefully you'll find it to be the same way, yes. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have finished it with half hour to spare and never saw the paper before so i hope i get good marks!! time to mark it :smile:
Original post by lunaa.lovegood
image.jpg

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN Q A??

THE ANSWER IS 'X IS BETWEEN ZYGOTE AND SPORES' bUT I THOUGHT IT WAS BEFORE GAMETE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meiosis leads to genetic variation.There would be genetic variation in the spores.
http://vbio.weebly.com/aqa-unit-2-revision-pack.html

this is also great for anybody wanting to do topic by topic past questions :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending