Should the term 'black power' be used in conversation on TSR?

Watch
Straighthate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
???
90sBabyy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I really don't see the correlation of offences here but...ok, sir.

Anyway I'm sure a thread about obesity wasn't very mature, necessary, constructive nor supportive.
Straighthate
Rep:
?
(Original post by 90sBabyy)
I really don't see the correlation of offences here but...ok, sir.

Anyway I'm sure a thread about obesity wasn't very mature, necessary, constructive nor supportive.
oh right, so a morbidly obese woman promoting her lifestyle as something positive to the masses is ok?
90sBabyy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Straighthate)
oh right, so a morbidly obese woman promoting her lifestyle as something positive to the masses is ok?
See. You're saying it's not. I won't state my sentiments on the issue, I don't really care, I'm not obese but just sayin' the most likely reason it was pulled. As far as the black power thing, is that a problem?
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
See. You're saying it's not. I won't state my sentiments on the issue, I don't really care, I'm not obese but just sayin' the most likely reason it was pulled. As far as the black power thing, is that a problem?
I think the point is that the only reason that such a thread would be pulled down is incase it offends obese people to realise that they are inferior and not superior people for being overweight, being unhealthy and lacking willpower to change themselves.

In comparison a thread with black power in it may offend white people. Why is it not removed?
90sBabyy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TorpidPhil)
I think the point is that the only reason that such a thread would be pulled down is incase it offends obese people to realise that they are inferior and not superior people for being overweight, being unhealthy and lacking willpower to change themselves.

In comparison a thread with black power in it may offend white people. Why is it not removed?
Some things are offensive, other things people allow themselves to be offended by. A thread about black power is not offensive. It's not the same on reverse as white power because technically white people already have that, and also considering how the term is used and who has used/uses that term (skinheads, Neo-Nazis who are not about furthering a race of people for the better, but believe in supremacy to keep other races down. Not only is that offensive, it is disgusting, hate- and war-mongering and scary). Black power is none of those things I just mentioned.

And if those are your opinions about obesity, so be it.
Daenerys...
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some people are just naturally larger than other people? I'm also an advocate of Health At Every Size (HAEZ) because it promotes a message of acceptance and self-love that I feel isn't conveyed as much as it should in a society that is image obsessed.

Ps. I'm not overweight.
TorpidPhil
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some things are offensive, other things people allow themselves to be offended by. A thread about black power is not offensive. It's not the same on reverse as white power because technically white people already have that, and also considering how the term is used and who has used/uses that term (skinheads, Neo-Nazis who are not about furthering a race of people for the better, but believe in supremacy to keep other races down. Not only is that offensive, it is disgusting, hate- and war-mongering and scary). Black power is none of those things I just mentioned.

And if those are your opinions about obesity, so be it.
Obese people clearly choose to be obese in the vast vast vast majority of the instances in which they do. To point out the negatives of being obese to them yet for them to persist in being obese is surely for them to accept their obesity? They are choosing to be offended, how can people insulting obese people be offensive if the obese person is perfectly content with being obese?

It's like an ugly person insulting someone that is beautiful for being such, because every agrees that being beautiful is preferable to being ugly no person in that instance would take offence.
90sBabyy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Obese people clearly choose to be obese in the vast vast vast majority of the instances in which they do. To point out the negatives of being obese to them yet for them to persist in being obese is surely for them to accept their obesity? They are choosing to be offended.
Sigh.

(Original post by Daenerys...)

Ps. I'm not overweight.
LOL thanks for clearing that up
TorpidPhil
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some people are just naturally larger than other people? I'm also an advocate of Health At Every Size (HAEZ) because it promotes a message of acceptance and self-love that I feel isn't conveyed as much as it should in a society that is image obsessed.

Ps. I'm not overweight.
Naturally larger? Who are you kidding? Metabolism never accounts for more than 400 calories of difference in 99% of comparisons.

Unfortunately every size just isn't healthy. Athletic physiques are on average, the healthiest. That's just a fact.
TorpidPhil
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sigh.

LOL thanks for clearing that up
Well they do! How can you say they don't? You can say stress and stuff like that causes it but then the murderer can claim he didn't chose to murder someone and that his experiences "made him do it".

Note - the majority. I didn't say all.
username1258398
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
x
So you're saying it's okay to say "black power", but not okay to say "white power"?

And here I was thinking that blacks and whites were equal.

Some people are just naturally larger than other people?
Nobody is naturally obese
90sBabyy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by StrangeBanana)
So you're saying it's okay to say "black power", but not okay to say "white power"?

And here I was thinking that blacks and whites were equal.

I'm going to assume you read the whole thing, so I won't repeat myself. You're an adult, please figure it out for yourself why they're not equal practices of race empowerment.

Well they do! How can you say they don't? You can say stress and stuff like that causes it but then the murderer can claim he didn't chose to murder someone and that his experiences "made him do it".

Note - the majority. I didn't say all.
No one does any of those things. No one chooses to be offended about anything, no one persists to be in a bad health state.
Straighthate
Rep:
?

Ps. I'm not overweight.
disgraceful, you seriously think this consitutes 'health' simply because they accept it?
Daenerys...
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Naturally larger? Who are you kidding? Metabolism never accounts for more than 400 calories of difference in 99% of comparisons.

Unfortunately every size just isn't healthy. Athletic physiques are on average, the healthiest. That's just a fact.
I think you've completely misunderstood the point of 'fat-acceptance' and the healthy message that is being promoted by the HAEZ movement. HAEZ promotes the idea that you can be healthy at every size by adopting healthy behaviours, including physical exercise and dieting, but first and foremost HAEZ breeds a message of self-acceptance and respect. Respect is important regardless of size and body diversity should be accepted in society because people come in different shapes and sizes - there's no one size fits all. Thin obsession has results in body preoccupation, self-hatred, eating disorders and even ironically poor health... Few of us are at peace with our bodies, whether because we're fat or because we fear becoming fat. HAEZ shifts the focus in health management from weight loss to a weight-neutral approach in individuals thereby avoiding said issues and promoting a happier and healthier lifestyle.

disgraceful, you seriously think this consitutes 'health' simply because they accept it?Image
She is so pretty. You can't take that away from here.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
disgraceful, you seriously think this consitutes 'health' simply because they accept it?
Googling a movement you've never heard of before you comment on it is normally a better idea than posting like an idiot.

As for the OP: They're not really related subjects.
bassbabe
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Being morbidly obese is so healthy. Why would you want to be lean when you can have rolls?
TorpidPhil
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm going to assume you read the whole thing, so I won't repeat myself. You're an adult, please figure it out for yourself why they're not equal practices of race empowerment.

No one does any of those things. No one chooses to be offended about anything, no one persists to be in a bad health state.
You just said white people choose to be offended by threads which advocate black power since black power is not existent in this white world.
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you've completely misunderstood the point of 'fat-acceptance' and the healthy message that is being promoted by the HAEZ movement. HAEZ promotes the idea that you can be healthy at every size by adopting healthy behaviours, including physical exercise and dieting, but first and foremost HAEZ breeds a message of self-acceptance and respect. Respect is important regardless of size and body diversity should be accepted in society because people come in different shapes and sizes - there's no one size fits all. Thin obsession has results in body preoccupation, self-hatred, eating disorders and even ironically poor health... Few of us are at peace with our bodies, whether because we're fat or because we fear becoming fat. HAEZ shifts the focus in health management from weight loss to a weight-neutral approach in individuals thereby avoiding said issues and promoting a happier and healthier lifestyle.

She is so pretty. You can't take that away from here.
She looks like the michelin man. That is not healthy.
90sBabyy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You just said white people choose to be offended by threads which advocate black power.
That was cynicism in regards to whoever would see something wrong with black power threads, not that I've seen one, but logically speaking, which I assumed we were doing, no one can choose to be offended but they can choose how to respond to something that offended them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
16.08%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (62)
31.16%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (24)
12.06%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.04%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.53%
I think it's an unfair expectation (51)
25.63%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.51%

Watched Threads