The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

No mechanics in Warwick math?

I have a conditional offer to study maths next year and I was really enthusiastic about Warwick maths. However, glancing through the first year material I noticed that there is no applied maths at all. Even Cambridge does applied maths. I would really like to do some mechanics alongside the more abstract math as that is what I am strongest at and enjoy. Is there any reason for the lack of applied in Warwick maths? Can one remedy this by taking as many "physicsy" optional modules as possible?

Thanks
Original post by PotterPhysics
I have a conditional offer to study maths next year and I was really enthusiastic about Warwick maths. However, glancing through the first year material I noticed that there is no applied maths at all. Even Cambridge does applied maths. I would really like to do some mechanics alongside the more abstract math as that is what I am strongest at and enjoy. Is there any reason for the lack of applied in Warwick maths? Can one remedy this by taking as many "physicsy" optional modules as possible?

Thanks

You can take modules from any department you want, I know people who took English, Psychology, History modules etc. So if you see anything in any other departments you want to take you're allowed!

Further:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year1/

These are the recommended modules for year 1, there are 5 physics modules on there - just scroll down :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Yeah, those things are offered by the physics department instead. It's the most flexible maths course that I'm aware of, anywhere in the country.
Original post by PotterPhysics

Thanks

You can take them, they just aren't compulsory.

There's a module called Classical Mechanics and special Relativity (offered by the Physics department) which a lot of mathematicians take. There's also Hamiltonian Mechanics the year after if you want to continue doing mechanics etc.

Just because a module isn't offered by the Maths department, it doesn't stop you from taking it (although the less related ones are limited to how many you can take - I think it's 30 CATS of 'unusual options' you can take throughout your degree).
Original post by TheIrrational
You can take modules from any department you want, I know people who took English, Psychology, History modules etc. So if you see anything in any other departments you want to take you're allowed!

Further:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/undergrad/ughandbook/year1/

These are the recommended modules for year 1, there are 5 physics modules on there - just scroll down :smile:

Original post by BlueSam3
Yeah, those things are offered by the physics department instead. It's the most flexible maths course that I'm aware of, anywhere in the country.

Original post by brittanna
You can take them, they just aren't compulsory.

There's a module called Classical Mechanics and special Relativity (offered by the Physics department) which a lot of mathematicians take. There's also Hamiltonian Mechanics the year after if you want to continue doing mechanics etc.

Just because a module isn't offered by the Maths department, it doesn't stop you from taking it (although the less related ones are limited to how many you can take - I think it's 30 CATS of 'unusual options' you can take throughout your degree).

Wow that's so cool -- I'm so happy I firmed Warwick now! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending