The Student Room Group

Help

Hello,

I have applied for Student Finance and have been approved for both components of tuition fees and maintenance partially. However, I just need some clarification please.

I'm 20, I have been working for just over 2 years and I live at home with both parents who support me as in letting me live there and food and stuff, however, they would not be in a position to fund a degree for me due to income.

Now, when I applied for Student Finance I was not asked for my income details but my parents were.

Once I start university, I will no longer be in employment or living at home and I explained this to the Student Finance helpline advisor due to previous worries over this. I was told that wasn't a problem and it was correct that only my parents income would be taken into account and mine would not be.

However, I'm now worried as I have seen someone else posting for advice who's in a similar position and I noticed that Mark Lee advised the student's parent that their child could apply independently and provide P60s.

I'm now worried that I have messed the whole of my application up.

I completed my application a few months back so cannot remember the independent part and with ringing Student Finance regarding the matter I just went ahead until I've just seen someones recent post which has got me worried.

If someone could provide further information please id be very grateful.

studentb
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello studentb,

We can only assess based on the student's income if they have been working for three years & can send in proof of this.

As you have only been working for two years then we need to assess your application based on your parents income, you have completed the application correctly.

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hello studentb,

We can only assess based on the student's income if they have been working for three years & can send in proof of this.

As you have only been working for two years then we need to assess your application based on your parents income, you have completed the application correctly.

Thanks

Hello Mark.

Many thanks for you response.

I will have been working though three years come September. However, I will be leaving employment before then as Uni starts end of September.

Also, does apprenticeship wage count as my income has consisted partially of apprenticeship wage over the past two years.

Thanks again Mark, just worried!
If you are able to send us three tax year P60s or 36 months worth of payslips then our assessment team will look to see if they can award you funding as an Independent Student.

This evidence has to show that you earned enough to fully financially support yourself. There is no specific threshold that we can provide for this.

Thanks
Reply 4
If you are able to send us three tax year P60s or 36 months worth of payslips then our assessment team will look to see if they can award you funding as an Independent Student.

This evidence has to show that you earned enough to fully financially support yourself. There is no specific threshold that we can provide for this.

Thanks

Hi Mark, I don't think Id meet the freshold for that then and certainly dont have 36 wage slips.

If I've been working from July 12 and will finish in August 15 I work that out as more than 35 months? Does that seem correct to you? I've also been living with my parents during all that time who've supported roof over my head.

I don't think I'd be able to get all those wage slips... one job was agency and I don't 're-call' getting a P60 from them... extremely worried now!!

What should I do? Should I stick with my current application... I'm not looking to apply for independent I'm wanting to make sure that my application is correct based on my information given as again I dont want it come back on me and get in trouble and for someone to say you should have applied as a independent not parental

Sorry to be a hassle Mark I just don't to mess things up and get in trouble!

Thanks again Mark
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, studentb.

The best thing to do would be to contact HMRC. They can issue you with what is known as a 'statement of earnings.' This is literally just a list of your earnings over the past tax years. You'll need to specifically request which tax years you want it for, so by the sounds of it, you'll require 12/13, 13/14 and 14/15.

Thanks.
Reply 6
Hi, studentb.

The best thing to do would be to contact HMRC. They can issue you with what is known as a 'statement of earnings.' This is literally just a list of your earnings over the past tax years. You'll need to specifically request which tax years you want it for, so by the sounds of it, you'll require 12/13, 13/14 and 14/15.
Okay thanks Mark but going forward what do I do regarding my application? The closing date is the 31st Thanks.

Hi Mark, very unlikely I will receive a statement of earnings from HMRC by then with it also being bank holiday, can I not just continue with my current application and leave that in place?

Many thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi there.

The 31st of May is not a closing date, it's an application deadline. You only have to have your application in by then.

Thanks.
Reply 8
Hi there.

The 31st of May is not a closing date, it's an application deadline. You only have to have your application in by then.

Thanks.

Okay - but could you please answer the other part of my question as i don't where i stand to be honest....

"can I not just continue with my current application and leave that in place?"

or have i got to contact HMRC now? If I do I have to contact them, what do I tell student finance?

If you could respond accordingly please as I want to sort this ASAP without having to keep coming back and forth....
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi there.

You've already been approved for the maintenance loan and tuition fees as you stated so that won't change unless you send in evidence and request for your application to be reassessed.

Thanks.
Reply 10
Hi there.

You've already been approved for the maintenance loan and tuition fees as you stated so that won't change unless you send in evidence and request for your application to be reassessed.

Thanks.

Hi Mark,

So despite my employment and income (which will be ending) - i can leave my application as it is based on my parents income and that'll be ok?

Many thanks
Hi again,

If you've been approved based on parental income already then yes. Only if you actually ask us to base it on your own earnings and provide evidence will this be changed.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending