The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by The two eds
Haha I just can only laugh at that comment. If only you knew how unemployment soared among the working class and wages dipped, but clearly you made your bed already. I'm pretty sure you are another white English privileged guy pretending to get what life is like for the real man and then wonder why we vote UKIP. But hey no point arguing with you since you will just respond saying you know completely what it's like to be in the shoes of the working class man and woman :/.

Ah the 'you don't know what its like man' defence. A clever move if evidence isn't on your side.

No I don't, like the majority and incresing proportion of the population I've never been working class - its not even a concept I understand much, pretty much equates to working poor these days.. 'The real man' - is hard part of 'hard working families'?

Wages dipped but unemployment didn't soar, hit a 30+ year low.
Original post by James222
They didnt
The election was decided in a few middle class seats in the South

Lib Dem voters voted Tory instead of Labour
And scots voted SNP instead of Labour

Allowing the tories to win

Contrary to popular belief, Liberal Democrats lost some seats to Labour, where Labour were second. Labour lost seats which they should have won in the Midlands and the North; Nuneaton, north Warwickshire, Carlisle, Bolton, Stockton, which last time I looked on a map, they weren't in the South. Even if Labour did win the seats they lost to the SNP, they still would have lost. Don't blame the south for Labour failure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by meenu89
Don't blame the south for Labour failure.

It was due to the south. Why do you think huge Labour figures like Burham and Hunt are talking about appealing to the middle class voter? Most middle and upper class people live in the South.

Haha if you think for one minute Labour will see the end of tax avoidance, you my friend are quite simply a retard. Tax avoidance rose in the Labour years, it is something we can not truly sort out unless we reform Europe, but of course Labour are pro Europe so I doubt that happening. Lool I can not help but just lol at the fact you think a party like labour will sort tax avoidance, just wow

I am going to give you some free advice
If you are going to resort to blurting out straw man arguments you need to simply accept that you have lost that argument.

However if you are going to be stupid enough to blurt out straw man arguments never ever call the other person a retard while you are doing it

You are in no position to call the other person a retard because you are displaying extreme retardation yourself while also pretending that the other person has shown evidence of retardation.
Original post by Alfissti
Poor and vote Labour 5 years on you would still be a poor pauper.
Poor and vote Conservative 5 years on you would be getting somewhere in life.

Good things about a Conservative government is its endless opportunities in business that opens up that means new jobs, new levels of prosperity and good governance that means more money in your pocket.

Prove on how good it is? Well don't have to look too far, just yesterday it was announced UK has the lowest rate of inflation in the western world. That means your cost of living especially all you lacking in financial means ones will get a financial break.

This view is largely based on the thought that neo-liberalism is the key since the 1970's economic crisis.

Fact is since the 1970s Britain has been getting gradually poorer in terms of the quality of life for the masses. Since then public infrastructure have been sold off and British industry has been liquidated and moved off shore.

Conservatives will tell you that putting public assets into private hands is the right thing to do but who is it right for? The masses or the individuals who want to profit?

Utility companies and Railway companies where privatized. Look at them now. They are expensive profiteering companies. Royal Mail shares where sold low and traders made huge profits. And now the NHS is being dismantled so the Tories and their mates can take the last great public service and deprive the working class yet again.

Neo-Liberalism = Posion.
From my observation most poor people did not vote Conservatives on the last election. I think the middle class was responsible for creating Conservatives majority.
Original post by TheIrrational
Poor < £10,000 salary.

Labour: 20% tax on £3,525 - take home £9,295.

Conservative: take home all of it.

******** My dad was much better off under Blair's government compared to Camerons
Right to Buy may have helped. Many see the Tories as the party of aspiration and more economically responsible. Also they appear to be stronger than Labour on immigration.
Original post by Alfissti
Poor and vote Labour 5 years on you would still be a poor pauper.
Poor and vote Conservative 5 years on you would be getting somewhere in life.

Good things about a Conservative government is its endless opportunities in business that opens up that means new jobs, new levels of prosperity and good governance that means more money in your pocket.

Prove on how good it is? Well don't have to look too far, just yesterday it was announced UK has the lowest rate of inflation in the western world. That means your cost of living especially all you lacking in financial means ones will get a financial break.

Inflation should be around 2%, income will go up and people will feel more confident(due to the wealth effect) so in the long term, they will have more to spend and businesses will consider providing jobs in the North East. Low inflation can severely damage the economy if it stays low
Poor areas have been poor for decades and voted labour all those decades.
Voting labour, provably makes an area poor or keeps it poor.

Labour does not want people to be rich because rich people tend not to vote labour (unless they want to appear as "do gooders" in the press)..

If you want your area to get rich vote Conservative.
Original post by FredOrJohn
Poor areas have been poor for decades and voted labour all those decades.
Voting labour, provably makes an area poor or keeps it poor.

Labour does not want people to be rich because rich people tend not to vote labour (unless they want to appear as "do gooders" in the press)..

If you want your area to get rich vote Conservative.

Ps - this is why the SNP took over Scotland. labour does not help the poor, it provably keeps them poor - just look at labours 50 year record in constituencies that have remained labour. Has a single one got middle class rich?
Because Conservatives are the best party for working people. They promised to lower income tax thresholds (which they did) lifting many people out of paying tax at all.

They also promised to reform the welfare system so that it encourages people to work instead of rely on welfare.

Right to buy is a great policy as well for aspirational working people.

Most importantly, the Conservatives have a track record of creating jobs and stimulating economic growth- meanwhile, what happened to the economy the last time Labour was in charge?

In addition, the Conservatives promised to improve opportunities for people who do not want to go to university such as apprenticeships, ensuring that young poor people can more easily access a high-paying skilled job and get out of poverty.

Labour has a short term fix to poverty- increasing benefits- but the Conservatives have a solution that addresses the source of the problem and focuses on a long term economic plan which will help all working people and not just those relying on welfare.

(I just realised that this thread is from a year ago lol)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 112
We study this in class and it's simply because people in working classes see themselves as emerging middle class (thanks to Blair and brown ofc!) but as Gordon brown took a more left wing stance towards 2010, the emerging middle class people felt the conservatives were more centre ground. You also have the fact that they promised less immigration which poorer people seem to think is the reason they're poor
Original post by zayn008
We study this in class and it's simply because people in working classes see themselves as emerging middle class (thanks to Blair and brown ofc!) but as Gordon brown took a more left wing stance towards 2010, the emerging middle class people felt the conservatives were more centre ground. You also have the fact that they promised less immigration which poorer people seem to think is the reason they're poor

I'd give you a D- for that if you wrote that about why the Gorbals or Paisley fell to the SNP. Scottish people came to see that after nearly 100 years of labour voting not one poor area has done well. Labour has done nothing at constituency level to make that area better off - after 100 years!!!

If you want to get rich and you live in a poor area, you cannot move etc etc, then definitely try and get every single person to in that area to vote Conservative so that the area itself can begin to get better.
Reply 114
Original post by FredOrJohn
I'd give you a D- for that if you wrote that about why the Gorbals or Paisley fell to the SNP. Scottish people came to see that after nearly 100 years of labour voting not one poor area has done well. Labour has done nothing at constituency level to make that area better off - after 100 years!!!

If you want to get rich and you live in a poor area, you cannot move etc etc, then definitely try and get every single person to in that area to vote Conservative so that the area itself can begin to get better.

Do conservatives make areas rich or do rich areas make the conservatives? I do agree with you to an extent though, the beautiful English towns and villiages do tend to be conservative where as the less progressive areas are Labour. But I think New Labour did make progress at a constituency level and certainly at a national level in contrast to the current conservative government (and the major administration) and let's be honest, when most people vote they're focused on national progress, I think if there was a poll asking the people who vote then the results would show this rather than people looking for local representation and progress
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 115
Haha I just can only laugh at that comment. If only you knew how unemployment soared among the working class and wages dipped, but clearly you made your bed already. I'm pretty sure you are another white English privileged guy pretending to get what life is like for the real man and then wonder why we vote UKIP. But hey no point arguing with you since you will just respond saying you know completely what it's like to be in the shoes of the working class man and woman :/.

One second you're talking about opportunities and the economy and then you're talking about voting UKIP, for starters leaving the EU will dissolve opportunities and cost the economy in the short run, this is factual. Long run, I can't say and it could work but in the short run it certainly won't be paradise. Can you tell me the last time we had a government budget surplus? Or when our longest sustainable period of economic growth was? Not to mention the vast amount the Labour government had invested in education, health, jobs, businesses, infrastructure and the minimum wage... Is that not enough opportunities for you?

I thought it was the white English privileged guy that voted UKIP.. Your arguments don't add up
I think due to apathy in Politics among many of the population's poor areas, a strong campaign to convince poorer voters in swing constituencies was needed to secure power. The Conservative Party, quite cleverly, claimed to be on the side of the 'aspirational worker' and also offered a referendum on the EU which aimed to draw voters who may have voted UKIP.

However, we can see that this was clearly an ideological campaign. The Conservative Party, to date, have failed to represent the working people of the country. To be frank, I don't think it was ever their intention

There are numerous instances of this and their subsequent U turns... Tax Credit cuts, Housing Policy, cutting Disability allowances, turning all schools into Academies etc, first ever Doctors strike within the NHS.

Most glaringly obvious is the austerity policies which this country has been going through, which among the organised left have received wide criticism and protest. The Conservatives have always been great at convincing the population that they are competent at handling the economy (they even claimed that Labour caused the 2008 financial crisis), you'll often here the phrase 'long term economic plan' floated about. However George Osborne has failed tremendously to invest in this country and has increased Public Debt each year he has been in office. The list is endless... and unfortunately it seems there has been a transfer of wealth from the very poorest to the rich.
(edited 7 years ago)
The statement by the OP is rubbish. more poor people do not vote Conservative.
In the election just passed, then the ratio of Conservative to Labour voters was 26.5 to 40.5 .
Original post by zayn008
Do conservatives make areas rich or do rich areas make the conservatives? I do agree with you to an extent though, the beautiful English towns and villiages do tend to be conservative where as the less progressive areas are Labour. But I think New Labour did make progress at a constituency level and certainly at a national level in contrast to the current conservative government (and the major administration) and let's be honest, when most people vote they're focused on national progress, I think if there was a poll asking the people who vote then the results would show this rather than people looking for local representation and progress

Poor areas have really been turned around by the SNP after just 10 years of power. Labour had 100 years.

Its time to ditch Labour and go for an SNP concept for Northern England and the Midlands.

Labour is in not in the pocket of the voters its in the pockets of groups who do not necessarily have the voters interest at heart but all sorts of isms and extensions of the state with less and less people actually making money.
Original post by Michael P
During the time of the election, I noticed a lot of poor unemployed people voting for the conservative party. Why did these people shoot themselves in the foot by making their life (and their children's life) so much more difficult? Do people like to sacrifice themselves for the greater good of the country? Are people really so far up their own bottoms? I wonder if this is some kind of altruistic gesture. It does seem like it to me...

It would be interesting to be some statistics on this.

Because they've been taken in by this narrative that they're poor because of benefits scroungers stealing their hard earned money, and that the Conservatives would give them a chance to be successful as long as they work hard.

It's a bit pathetic, really.

Latest

Trending

Trending