The Student Room Group

Biomedical Science - how did you find your first year?

So basically my GCSEs were good but had circumstances during my A Levels which led me to underachieve (CCC).

I went through clearing and am at a university which is in the 30-35 ranking on the Complete University Guide atm.

So my question- how have you found the first year? I found it quite easy, much easier than A Levels. This was due to topics covered were mostly A Level stuff, a little bit more in depth and also out professors basically hinted what to revise for in the exams. It was 33% coursework (practicals + write ups) 33% multiple choice and 33% exam papers.

I'm not sure if this is what its like for all unis or because my uni entry standards are lower generally so maybe they cater for students with lower a level grades. I would really like to compare with students from higher ranked universities... Please let me know your thoughts!

Also, i've heard that it gets harder for your second hear, which I would expect but how much? Harder than A Levels? I'm only asking for Biomedical science to get consistent responses. Obviously if you did a degree which had modules you've never studied it would be hard. Although I did have Anatomy lectures which i've never studied but didn't find the exams hard.... Feel like I've wasted a year :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
what uni is that?
Hey lol I am in the same. Boat and people say bio med is rubbish unless you get into top Russell Unis, and there are no job prospects after that ? I am so confused should I do bio med or pharmacy ? I am not sure. I like bio more than chem, but I only happen to hate organic chemistry and could someone tell if pharmacy is all about organic chem of A2 ? Or it's has other hits to it.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by hassyrocks
Hey lol I am in the same. Boat and people say bio med is rubbish unless you get into top Russell Unis, and there are no job prospects after that ? I am so confused should I do bio med or pharmacy ? I am not sure. I like bio more than chem, but I only happen to hate organic chemistry and could someone tell if pharmacy is all about organic chem of A2 ? Or it's has other hits to it.?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would suggest to go with what YOU like learning about. Listen to yourself. You might have people telling you to do this, that or the other but at the end of the day its you who's going to be going through it, so make sure its something you'd love doing. Biomedical science (for my uni) has 1 module of chemistry but its not bad at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending