AQA conflict poetry English literature

Watch
jackyboy17
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys see as though i got my english literature poetry exam friday does anyone have any tips for me to get high marks on the conflict section. If not then just overall tips and tricks?
Also if anyone has any example answers then can i have some for revision?
Thanks!
thinker13
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
Alternate interpretations and evaluate the intentions of the author and effects on reader!
Bartek99
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
http://www.lamarehigh.com/wp-content...ict-Poetry.pdf look up this it really helped me!!!
thewishfulwriter
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jackyboy17)
Hey guys see as though i got my english literature poetry exam friday does anyone have any tips for me to get high marks on the conflict section. If not then just overall tips and tricks?
Also if anyone has any example answers then can i have some for revision?
Thanks!
Hi, I'm an A level student but I also studied the conflict cluster.

Here are a few tips I have for exam technique...

1) Have a rough structure ready for the exam. This will help you save time and know what to write about. e.g. If you know you're going to write a paragraph about language, then structure, the main ideas, and then form, not only will it be easier to structure your notes on the poems but also it means you'll hit all of the mark scheme if you discuss language, structure and form

2) If you're not hot on timing, have a go at writing the essay in the time. Set yourself 5 minutes to pick your question and the poem you're going to compare it to and plan, then write. If you don't have time to include all of your points, include a few in the conclusion

3) Try and do one or two points per paragraph of comparison (even if it's as simple as "the rhyme in 'Flag' is ABA whereas there is a less obvious rhyming pattern in 'Futility', which shows....."

4) Always include quotes, even if you don't do much close analysis. It shows you know how to write an essay well.

5) Try mentioning the poets' names. For example, when discussing 'Flag', you could make a point by saying "John Agard uses repetition of 'it's just a piece of cloth', which shows..."

6) Use technical terms like "enjambment" and "alliteration" wherever possible. It makes for a much more intelligent essay.

7) Don't skip any poems. If there's one you hate, maybe you can afford to skim over it, but try not to. You'll be kicking yourself if both questions are on the two poems you avoided.

8) Remember, there's also an unseen section, so include similar techniques as were mentioned above (minus the comparison)

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, even if it's about any of the poems that you're unsure on. If not, all the best in your exam!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.63%
Note taking apps (7)
1.85%
Flashcards (86)
22.75%
Revision guides (19)
5.03%
Past papers (173)
45.77%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.97%

Watched Threads