Getting 'good' instead of 'outstanding' in final assessment for PGCE/QTS

Watch
Luxray
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

So I'm on track to get 'good' instead of outstanding as my final grade which is given by my university. I personally do think I'm an 'outstanding' teacher - that isn't me being arrogant, I'm just benchmarking myself against other teachers who I know are on track to get outstanding.

Anyway, I want to know how much does this actually affect my chances of getting a teaching position in the future? People say to me that 'you don't have to write down you got good on your CV etc.' but then surely if you got outstanding then you would write it in your CV which to me suggests it is worth something.
Ratchit99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Luxray)
Hi,

So I'm on track to get 'good' instead of outstanding as my final grade which is given by my university. I personally do think I'm an 'outstanding' teacher - that isn't me being arrogant, I'm just benchmarking myself against other teachers who I know are on track to get outstanding.

Anyway, I want to know how much does this actually affect my chances of getting a teaching position in the future? People say to me that 'you don't have to write down you got good on your CV etc.' but then surely if you got outstanding then you would write it in your CV which to me suggests it is worth something.
Honestly your mark during pgce doesnt really reflect what you will be like in the real working world, or thats what teachers keep indicating to me. You can be an outstanding teacher during training and then struggle like hell with the full workload in NqT, or you could be a good teacher and then bloom when given full control....dont take it to heart, in the real world its your experience and how you are then that matters, not what your pgce mentors thought about you that matters.
Luxray
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Ratchit99)
Honestly your mark during pgce doesnt really reflect what you will be like in the real working world, or thats what teachers keep indicating to me. You can be an outstanding teacher during training and then struggle like hell with the full workload in NqT, or you could be a good teacher and then bloom when given full control....dont take it to heart, in the real world its your experience and how you are then that matters, not what your pgce mentors thought about you that matters.
I should add I'm on the TF programme.
I know the mark doesn't affect the quality of my teaching etc. (although its certainly damaged my confidence) but I'm more worried about employment after I finish my NQT..
myrtille
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Luxray)
Hi,

Are you serious?

Firstly, I don't know why your university is grading you good/outstanding etc. as that's not relevant to how QTS is assessed (ie: are you showing evidence of meeting the Teacher Standards?).

Secondly, the whole good/outstanding thing is just part of the whole Ofsted farce and nothing you should spend time fretting about.

Thirdly, as the previous poster said, whilst being able to say you have been rated "good" or "outstanding" as a trainee won't do any harm on your initial job applications, after that no-one cares. Different people and different teaching styles fit in different schools, and what your current mentor considers good a different school may consider outstanding - or vice versa.

Anyway, "good" looks good - it shows you're not just scraping through the course. So feel free to put that on your job applications (ie: "I have recently completed my final placement at ___ School, with all aspects of my teaching practice graded Good").
rachel.h
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've written this on another thread somewhere...

Nobody cares. An outstanding trainee isn't an outstanding teacher. I'm pretty darned pleased I've been graded outstanding as an NQT too, but nobody cares. Either because I'm not yet a proper teacher, or because outstanding is simply meaningless. I can't teach like that all the time... nobody can.
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've been obsessing about this on my placement and my mentor and uni tutor said that It means absolutely nothing. It doesn't get printed anywhere and noone asks either. I've calmed down a bit since then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
adastraz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There seems to be an expectation of getting to high in my final placement. My mid-placement report was done the other day (I was graded as good), and one of the other teachers made a joke about how a 'good' wouldn't be good enough at the end. My uni tutor subtly suggested that he would expect me to be a high when he next visits. Not sure that is going to happen, as he told me the main reason he didn't give me a high last time was that I wasn't a 'big enough presence' at the front of the class during my input. Since I get so nervous about observations I am not confident that this will change!
Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It doesn't matter.

You pass or fail the PGCE. Besides, being an outstanding trainee is very different to being an outstanding NQT.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
18.03%
I'm not sure (5)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (64)
34.97%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.64%
I'm not a current university student (78)
42.62%

Watched Threads