Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which is better Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings (the books, not the films)?

LotR is BLATENTLY better than HP!!!

PS that schitzo gollum is kinda cute... well the good side of him anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    LotR is BLATENTLY better than HP!!!

PS that schitzo gollum is kinda cute... well the good side of him anyway.
    harry potter books rule a**....as for the films...lord of the rings is better but i found the book kind of makes the reader lose interest...

CR

(Original post by CR3)
    harry potter books rule a**....as for the films...lord of the rings is better but i found the book kind of makes the reader lose interest...

CR
    I am sorry but anyone that thinks that HP is better the LOTR is seriously under read. If you read alot you will realise j rowling (note the missing "k" as it stands for nothing)has more or less copied other authors. For example if you have read the minnow on the say: look at the first paragraph, and then look at the first paragraph in the new HP book, they are very similar.

I am sorry but anyone that thinks that HP is better the LOTR is seriously under read. If you read alot you will realise j rowling (note the missing "k" as it stands for nothing)has more or less copied other authors. For example if you have read the minnow on the say: look at the first paragraph, and then look at the first paragraph in the new HP book, they are very similar.
    yeah I totally agree with u

ReputationRep:
    lotr is a great book, and it beats HP in both genres.

They are both English authors as well aren't they?

Ad

ReputationRep:
    oh my god i'm such a geek...i though HP stood for Hewlett Packard and you were discussing printers...

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Lotr By Miles!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed both LotR and HP but have to say that LotR is much much better!!!!! Plus, Tolkien is a much better writer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sas104)
    I enjoyed both LotR and HP but have to say that LotR is much much better!!!!! Plus, Tolkien is a much better writer.
    come on HP fans back me up here!!!!

CR

(Original post by CR3)

CR
    I will say Harry Potter books are much better then lotr...as for the movies i like both and i say i like hp better for some reson i just think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)

CR
    I can try - I like both HP and LOTR books, but in general I prefer hp becuase they are much easier to read - ir maybe i'm just a rubbish reader but I find I keep losing my place in LTR

The books are very difficult to judge between - I mean come HP is much more of a childrens book and a lot newer. Ask me in about 50 years when the whole HP series is out and its been around for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    If they are then they will have had the same level of success as LOTR. I personally have never read HP but I have enjoyed the movies (moron I know). Also since so many people like them I am assuming that they have that little something special. As for LOTR I read it twice in quick succession and would have to say that it is excellent. Although certain extracts are a bit long winded for me. Like the endless dwarf/elf songs. Now they were pants. The section about Tom Bombadil was also confusing as were other passages but on the whole the movies have taken out the best bits and papered nicely over the slower bits. Would you recommend that I read the HP books? We have all 5 in the house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mensandan)
    Would you recommend that I read the HP books? We have all 5 in the house.
    Yes! Definatly worth doing...the films are absolute rubbish and don't do justice to the books...

As for Lord of the Rings, well I am a massive fan of the films but *hangs head* still havn't read the books...I planned to a few years ago and started but then had to read a different book for an English assignment and didn't want to struggle through the prologue again *sigh*...I really should get on with it but am considering the lazy option (eg- borrowing my friends LOTR cds and listening to it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egan1)
    Yes! Definatly worth doing...the films are absolute rubbish and don't do justice to the books...

As for Lord of the Rings, well I am a massive fan of the films but *hangs head* still havn't read the books...I planned to a few years ago and started but then had to read a different book for an English assignment and didn't want to struggle through the prologue again *sigh*...I really should get on with it but am considering the lazy option (eg- borrowing my friends LOTR cds and listening to it)
    ssoooo...ur a HP book fan right?

CR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CR3)
    ssoooo...ur a HP book fan right?
    Clearly- you could deduce that from my continuous posting on the Ultimate Discussion thread, however I can't compare it to the LOTR trology because I havn't read it.

Film wise of course, they aren't even comparrable, as the Harry Potters are appauling...

Both books are obviously incredibly well written...but they are also both very different.
    The LOTR trilogy is set in a completely different world where as with Harry Potter, the story is set in the world we live in- in 50 years time we may well have 'flying cars' etc as it were, so the books may not hold the same 'magic' where as because LOTR doesn't relate to our technological world changes and advancements shouldn't have an affect on the story if you get me...
    Harry Potter is a book has entertained millions- of a wide age range- it can be read by children as well as being apprecitated by adults and that is one of its great strengths. LOTR would be a much harder series for young children to read and understand.

---
    -Hmmm...I really need to read/listen to them!

ReputationRep:
    HP is soooo much better than lotr

I know many people prefer the HP books, and many people prefer LOTR books. But I am just here to asrise one subject. Which do you see or hear more of? Grown adults (30+) reading LOTR? Or HP? I know some adults read HP. It may be easier to start out reading. You really have to be quite mature to read and understand all the concepts of LOTR. Now, I'm not saying people who read HP are immature. Not at all! But,Tolkien had so much to say and if you skip some you will probably miss out on something important or very interesting. LOTR is hard to start reading, at the beginning it is king of boring, but once you get past the first chapter, and you get into reading the really good stuff, you wonder "Why did I ever think it was so boring?"

ReputationRep:
    I know many people prefer the HP books, and many people prefer LOTR books. But I am just here to asrise one subject. Which do you see or hear more of? Grown adults (30+) reading LOTR? Or HP? I know some adults read HP. It may be easier to start out reading. You really have to be quite mature to read and understand all the concepts of LOTR. Now, I'm not saying people who read HP are immature. Not at all! But,Tolkien had so much to say and if you skip some you will probably miss out on something important or very interesting. LOTR is hard to start reading, at the beginning it is king of boring, but once you get past the first chapter, and you get into reading the really good stuff, you wonder "Why did I ever think it was so boring?"
    when i read LoTR..i always thought it was hard to picture what was going on...my assumptions were way off in the movie...oh yea and no doubt LoTR beats HP in the MOVIES..but not books in my opinion

CR

The lotr books are definitely better - better imagined and better written.
    Ive read most or maybe all the hp books (cant remember, but at least 3), and while i enjoyed the characters, i think that they werent that well written - i would say that jkr has some good ideas (characters, names)but cant convey them as well as jrrt did. A lot of (especially the longer hps) the story is a bit boring, but seems to take ages to happen. Also, its purely a childrens book, really, easy to read with simple storylines. i know that the beginning of lotr is very slow, but it is still much more enjoyable to read. Another question - the books are really poles apart, do you think that anyone would have bothered to compare them if the films hadn't come out at the same time?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.