Australia or Canada takes less time to become a solicitor with a UK Law Degree?

Watch
NotYourMom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys,

I am graduating this October with LLB Law degree at a UK university. I want to know how long will it take to qualify as a solicitor in Canada or in Australia? I did my research and it would take 3-4 years after doing the challenge exams set by NCA whereas in Australia I have to do certain exams plus a similar course like LPC in order to become a solicitor there but I won't meet the requirement in order to immigrate.

After researching and contacting the law societies in Canada and Australia, I am still confused about the procedure and how long will it take to finally find a job.

Therefore please be kind enough to share your experience and your knowledge on this topic. I am genuinely confused now after going through their official websites so don't be mad at me, please give me a detailed information about how can I qualify as a solicitor there and settle there.
danielcs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know about the length, but an LLB by itself is not enough for you to be accredited to practice in Canada. With an LLB only, you need to do 10 University/University equivalent classes at a Canadian University(about 2 years full time).

You can also do an LLM, this will take the required course count down to 5 credits. NCA exams will probably take you another year and a half to a year.

Also, this goes for Toronto (I live here, not sure about other areas of the country), If you did not go to Oxbridge/finish at the top of your class at a top 10 university the chances of you getting a job a decent law firm in the city will be almost 0. The reality of Canadian law is that there are 18 law schools in the whole country(teaching common law, not civil), and entry requirements are extremely high. Competition coming from the top 5 or so for jobs is high, and you will be competing with 25+ year olds who have completed two degrees. In all honesty, your best option if you want to get a job in the legal field is to stay in the country you got your qualification in.
Nordic
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
zero_gravity
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NotYourMom)
Hi guys,

I am graduating this October with LLB Law degree at a UK university. I want to know how long will it take to qualify as a solicitor in Canada or in Australia? I did my research and it would take 3-4 years after doing the challenge exams set by NCA whereas in Australia I have to do certain exams plus a similar course like LPC in order to become a solicitor there but I won't meet the requirement in order to immigrate.

After researching and contacting the law societies in Canada and Australia, I am still confused about the procedure and how long will it take to finally find a job.

Therefore please be kind enough to share your experience and your knowledge on this topic. I am genuinely confused now after going through their official websites so don't be mad at me, please give me a detailed information about how can I qualify as a solicitor there and settle there.
Hi there.

First of all, it is important to note which Canadian province you would like to work in. Each province has its own law society and would depend on your qualifications. However, the NCA accreditation is mandatory for foreign-trained lawyers, so you will have to submit your application first. Note that you will have to write at least 5 exams for a 3-year LLB, provided that you have had at least 2:2 in all your modules. The worse you do, the more exams you will need to take.

Like others have stated, the legal market in Canada is extremely competitive, with a limited amount of articling positions available and you will be competing with a pool of talented law students whom will have two degrees under their belt. I wouldn't necessarily say that it is impossible to work for a major law firm, provided that you have the right connections, but other than that, it will be extremely difficult to secure an articling position. You can also do the LLM programme at Osgoode Hall or UBC that would allow you to do less exams and make yourself known to law firms in Canada, provided that you have at least a 2:1. Note that this is not a LLM in the traditional sense; it is just a course that would get you in the door with access to the university's resources and career services.

I can't comment on Australia, but I would think their accreditation process would be much easier and less time-consuming than the Canadian accreditation process.
KamkamAP
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, i know this is late enough but I am in similar boat and wondering if you have an information about your experience and if you did apply/get through canada? I did my GDL and currently doing my LPC from uk, wondering about my chances to either get a paralegal job and work/study my way to qualify in Canada? Or Should I qualify and then move to canada to do exams only? or drop LPC altogether as id anyway have to spend more time and money studying in canada. Thanks in advance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (180)
24.69%
Better than expected (147)
20.16%
Worse than expected (402)
55.14%

Watched Threads