Are Western feminists' priorities all wrong?

Watch
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
'Everyday sexism', high heels at Cannes, feminist jazz hands, etc., yet Yazidi women are being sold as sex slaves and raped.

Sure, Western feminists can protest both of these things, but the latter gets a hell of a lot less attention and focus from Western feminists than the former.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I find it astonishing how many radical feminists are cultural relativists who would rather respect cultural (not 'Western') and religious (not Christian) oppression of women than actually live up to the commendable ideals of feminism within a humanist mindset.

So to a great extent the answer to your OP is a yes. Not only is it an issue of priorities but underlying that is implicit racism and xenophobia or at the very least apathy towards humans on the grounds that they are 'not us'.
tomisonion
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
'Everyday sexism', high heels at Cannes, feminist jazz hands, etc., yet Yazidi women are being sold as sex slaves and raped.

Sure, Western feminists can protest both of these things, but the latter gets a hell of a lot less attention and focus from Western feminists than the former.
What is not important to vocal western feminists.

-Education for Women in the middle east.
-Women being killed for 'witchcraft'
-Women being sold into sex slavery.

What IS important to vocal western feminists.

-OMG THAT GAME OF THRONES SEX SCENE IS SO GRAPHIC!
. GAME OF THRONES IS SOOOO SEXIST!
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
bump
Philbert
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)

And who decides how much attention the feminists who are discussing each of these issues get? People who talk about popular issues get more attention, in the same way that the story about Yadizi omen wasn't the top story in most papers.

This is a good post about the "pettiness" critique: FAQ: Why are you concentrating on X ...ore important?
db_F40
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes they are all wrong

Feminism in the west is pointless.

I made a thread about it also

its here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3310247
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads