The Important Function of Cellulases Watch

Elsaliu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Cellulase is produced naturally by different symbiotic fungi, protozoa, and bacteria that have the ability to catalyse cellulolysis (the breakdown of cellulose). In reality there are different types of cellulases whose activity is pH-dependent: some are more active in an alkaline environment while others are more active in an acidic or neutral one.
It breaks down cellulose into beta-glucose. But what exactly is cellulose? It is a carbohydrate and a key part of the outer cellular structure of vascular plants. Cellulase could be considered one of the most abundant compounds in the world, as it is the basic building block for much of the plant kingdom, and is a primary food for much of the world’s living organisms.
Nowadays Cellulase is used for commercial food processing in coffee. It performs hydrolysis of cellulose during drying of beans. Furthermore, cellulases are widely used in textile industry and in laundry detergents. They have also been used in the pulp and paper industry for various purposes, and they are even used for pharmaceutical applications. Cellulase is used in the fermentation of biomass into biofuels, although this process is relatively experimental at present. Cellulase is used as a treatment for phytobezoars, a form of cellulose bezoar found in the human stomach.

Cellulase is common used in the production of fruit juice and other beverages. As Cellulase is a biological catalyst, which breaks down the polysaccharide cellulose: a polymer consisting of Beta glucose molecules. Cellulase is the substance found in plant cell walls. It keeps the cells sturdy and firm. In apple juice production these cell walls must be broken in order to release the juice. Cellulase is used in the production of fruit juice because they help to maximize the yield. This is because the enzymes break down the cell walls of the fruits and this makes it easier for the juice inside the fruit to come free, whilst also reducing viscosity of the product. When the fruit's are being broken down a variety of polysaccharides are released which makes the juice cloudy, lowering the market value.

And it is also used for the production of industrial materials from plant biomass. These enzymes may also improve the fiber properties of cotton for manufacturing or clothes. The simple sugars which retain the chemical energy of lignocellulose are easily separated from the digestion products and more readily usable for animal or human food or for the production of chemicals and biofuels.

Otherwise, Cellulase is quiet benefit for our health. One study of nursing home patients taking a multi-enzyme formula containing cellulase found that they favorably increased markers of protein absorption. This indicates an improvement in digestion of a nutritional formula also given to the study participants, which would lead to an overall better nutritional status. Other tests also indicated an improvement in immune function for the patients. What is more, when the enzyme supplement was withdrawn, the positive benefits ended.

Web: http://www.creative-enzymes.com/

45-16 Ramsey Road, Shirley, NY 11967, USA
Tel: 1-631-559-9269
Fax: 1-631-938-8127
Email:[email protected]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.81%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (137)
17.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.16%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.81%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.68%

Watched Threads