Mature student looking to go in to physics at uni, considering army apprenticeship.

Watch
bcpe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
If you read my other question you can see my whole situation,I dropped out of year 12 and subsequently failed my AS levels due to some difficult family circumstances and have now wasted a year moving around. Ideally I want to study physics at uni (I like kings but understand that might be aiming a bit too high) I was going to do an access course but as I am not 19 until next march I would have to wait until 2016 entry, I did look at redoing my Alevels but I can't afford the practical exams. Some one has now mentioned to me that I could do an apprenticeship in the army studying level 3 engineering, could anyone tell me if universities accept this or just more information about this sort of apprenticeship in general. Any advise is appreciated thank you.

I am feeling really under pressure because my dads boss has offered to train me as an accountant (he owns a construction firm and can afford it easily) but it's five years and would mean missing out on uni and following a career for money rather than interest.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
Have you considered the Open University's OpenPlus scheme? There is some information about it here. Basically you spend 2 years studying part-time at the Open University, when you have completed the necessary modules you transfer into the second year of a Physics degree at your chosen university (see list here). There aren't any entry requirements and it would give you the time and flexibility to try out this accountant job and see if you like it.
bcpe
Rep:
?
Thank you, that has changed my perspective and I am really considering it.

ArmyJobs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bcpe)
If you read my other question you can see my whole situation,I dropped out of year 12 and subsequently failed my AS levels due to some difficult family circumstances and have now wasted a year moving around. Ideally I want to study physics at uni (I like kings but understand that might be aiming a bit too high) I was going to do an access course but as I am not 19 until next march I would have to wait until 2016 entry, I did look at redoing my Alevels but I can't afford the practical exams. Some one has now mentioned to me that I could do an apprenticeship in the army studying level 3 engineering, could anyone tell me if universities accept this or just more information about this sort of apprenticeship in general. Any advise is appreciated thank you.

I am feeling really under pressure because my dads boss has offered to train me as an accountant (he owns a construction firm and can afford it easily) but it's five years and would mean missing out on uni and following a career for money rather than interest.

Hey, It's ArmyJobs here!

There happens to be quite a few people that weigh up the options of attending University or completing an apprenticeship, so your not alone!! Is there any specific engineering job roles that appeal to you?

May I ask what GCSE grades that you hold? As there are various engineering apprenticeships available to you within the British Army, and this could lead to you being sponsored to attend University.

Regards
ArmyJobs
bcpe
Rep:
?
(Original post by ArmyJobs)
Hey, It's ArmyJobs here!

There happens to be quite a few people that weigh up the options of attending University or completing an apprenticeship, so your not alone!! Is there any specific engineering job roles that appeal to you?

May I ask what GCSE grades that you hold? As there are various engineering apprenticeships available to you within the British Army, and this could lead to you being sponsored to attend University.

Regards
ArmyJobs
I have 2 A grades and 7 B grades, and am interested in engineering that is most closely related to physics and also aircrafts. Sorry for the slow reply x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.17%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (5)
10.42%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (5)
10.42%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (20)
41.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
18.75%

Watched Threads