The Student Room Group

V2: Would you be happy on 65k per year (as a final salary)?

Scroll to see replies

Hell yes if I'm single/no kids

Hell no if i had a family of 2 or more and I was the sole provider. What with private school fees and university tuition..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I would if I wasn't studying medicine at uni.
Original post by ByEeek

If you are like me and want to earn big dough, you are going to have to work for it and work bloody hard. I did a few months of contracting last year. It was nice to see the best part of £4k hitting my bank account each month, but not seeing my kids and family through the week meant it just was not worth it.

Do you mind me asking how old you are? Just I guess it would give me a comparison. My dad is currently contracting with an estimated salary of double the quoted thread title (nearing retirement). However, as you've said he's away 4 days a week.

As a contractor what level of experience do you need to get in to it? He left a full-time job for contracting but I assume leaving university you would need a few years employment prior to venturing into it?

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Yes I would if I wasn't studying medicine at uni.

Bro, IBers still make more. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

More than medicine? Not saying much lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yeah, but medics make more than 65k in terms of final salary

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd be happy with that salary.
More than enough to live comfortably by yourself and also enough if you want to start a family.
I've always thought that if you wanted to become rich, working a 9-5, or 8-5 in this case is not the way to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really comparable in terms of other perks though, you don't choose Medicine for the money, you get to help people, decent hours, chance to work outside London etc.

IB, and related jobs, you do for the money and the buzz.

OP, no, but that's just because the field I'm in places a ridiculous value on my time, wouldn't sniff at 65k doing something like teaching.
Depends if this means the relative value or actual currency.
I'm fairly certain in 50 years 65k won't be as nearly as grand as it is today.
Never.

Why?
Inflation.
In short, no. It might sound like i'm being greedy or something, but why ever only strive to earn that much?
Assuming you mean the equivalent, adjusted for inflation and so on, it's several times the average salary, so yes, I'd be happy.

Of course most people would prefer to earn more, but the vast majority of us won't get close to it. That doesn't mean you can't be 'happy' with less than your (usually quite unrealistic) ideal. I'd like to earn £50m a year, doesn't mean I wouldn't still be happy on £65k. I'd like a Ferrari, but I'd still be happy with a Mercedes.
How, pray tell, does one having salary aspirations get in the way of living?

Because too many people don't understand that aspiration really means they have to build their way there. I've seen so many graduates of all flavours refuse perfectly acceptable and reasonable jobs because their starting wages are "too low".

There is a sense of entitlement with too many people.
I'd be very happy to be earning £65k. However, with that amount of money comes lots of stress and responsibility and long hours. I'd rather earn half as much and have more free time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending