English literature Unit 2 AQA Relationships cluster (HT)

Watch
a_hussain15
Badges: 8
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi im doing the relationships cluster. Can you please tell me what you would compare these poems to?
-Brothers
-Harmonium
-Hour
-sonnet 43
-To his coy mistress
-in Paris with you
-sister Maude
Ellen h
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Brothers- sister maude (relationships between siblings), harmonium (similar nostalgic tone)
Harmonium- nettles (father and son relationship), praise song for my mother (parent from a child's perspective)
Hour- To his coy mistress and the farmer's bride (time running out)
Sonnet 43- Hour (love as a positive and powerful force), sonnet 116 (endurance of love)
To his coy mistress- Hour (preciousness of time and time going against them)
In Paris with you- Born yesterday (rejecting traditional ideas), Hour (focusing on the preciousness of the present)
Sister Maude- Brothers (sibling rivalry), Praise song for my mother (contrasting relationship)
lalaveri
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi! I'm doing Relationships as well (mostly replying to this because this is some extra revision for me!)
Brothers
Brothers obviously holds the theme of a rift between siblings, which makes it most immediately comparable to Sister Maude as it draws on the theme of conflict between siblings. The fact that it draws upon childhood makes it comparable to Harmonium, which makes the same use of memory to express regret. (Went onto Bitesize just after writing this to see if I'd missed anything - Bitesize had the same ones! I feel amazing)
Harmonium
Can be compared with Brothers, as discussed above. Can also be compared to Born Yesterday, which makes similar use of somewhat colloquial language to draw on a father-child relationship (although Born Yesterday isn't quite a father-child relationship, the same sense of love is there) - contrasts with Born Yesterday as it is written from the son's perspective, rather than the adults. Could be compared to Nettles, which also makes use of a father-son relationship and also expresses similar tones of regret. Finally, it can be compared to Praise Song for My Mother, which holds a similarly strong sense of memory and love for one's parent and also has a similar sense of loss.
Hour
Hour can be compared to Sonnet 116, which has the same themes of conflict between time and love. Hour can also be compared to In Paris With You, as it makes similar use of a 'mediocre' setting and is also very physical. It is also loosely comparable to The Manhunt as the physicality in both is similar. BBC Bitesize suggests To His Coy Mistress, as it shares the key theme of enjoying the moment rather than worrying about the future.
Sonnet 43
(Which I haven't read for months and don't remember at all - I'll get back to you once I've reread it!) Sonnet 43 can be compared to Ghazal, as it cycles through the many ways in which you could love somebody. It could be compared to To His Coy Mistress, as each seems to harbour the same intense love for the addressee. It could also be compared to Praise Song For My Mother, as it holds a similar strong sense of loving somebody. BBC Bitesize suggests Hour, for the positive portrayal of love, and Sonnet 116, for the themes of enduring love.
To His Coy Mistress
To his Coy Mistress can be compared to Hour, as mentioned above, and perhaps to Sonnet 43 (BBC Bitesize would like to point out that there is some contrast with Sonnet 43, as the latter poem harbours pure love as opposed to the physical love that To His Coy Mistress writes of), as mentioned above. It could also be compared to The Farmer's Bride, due to the vein of obsession running through both poems. It could also be compared to Ghazal, as both have somewhat sexual imagery and speak of intense love that is not necessarily requited (or at least, not as intensely requited).
In Paris With YouIn Paris With You can be compared with Hour, as mentioned above. It can also be compared to Quickdraw, as both speak of relationships that have ended in painful breakups. BBC Bitesize suggests Born Yesterday, due to the rejection of traditional themes explored in both.
Sister MaudeSister Maude can be compared to Brothers, as mentioned above. It could also be compared to The Farmer's Bride, due to the themes of conflict running through both. BBC Bitesize suggests you contrast Sister Maude with Praise Song For My Mother due to the fact that Praise Song For My Mother presents a positive family relationship whereas Sister Maude presents a negative one.

This is what I've got for these, currently, but remember that if you - in your exam - feel strongly about a poem that isn't on here, you should absolutely use it; your instinct on what to write is worth thousands more than mine to an examiner. Similarly, if you're stuck, you should also absolutely use these - it's all a balancing act.

Good luck for tomorrow - I'm sure it will be fine!
a_hussain15
Thank you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
a_hussain15
Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.9%
I'm not sure (16)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.41%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.81%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.28%

Watched Threads