megbennett
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey!

I currently have a place to start a fine art course this september, however have recently decided that I want to pursue a degree in Occupational Therapy instead. In the future I really hope to get onto an MA Art therapy course, and just wondered if anyone out there has studied OT at BSc and then done an MA in Art Therapy? I understand that fine art is probably the better option if I want to be an art therapist in the future, however because of financial reasons, I will be unable to study an MA in Art therapy if I undertake a BA in Fine art.

Any help/advice/comments would be great!

Thanks!
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you want to be an occupational therapist or an art therapist?

They're vastly different subjects, so if you don't want to be an OT, I wouldn't suggest studying it. If you say to anyone in OT that you're studying it because you want to do Art Therapy, you'll get laughed at and probably offend them a bit too.
megbennett
Rep:
?
I've actually just been accepted onto an OT course and the course director (a qualified OT) admired my ambitions to study OT with the possibility of doing art therapy in the future! OT is a very creative career with some strong links to art therapy.

Have a nice day!
kiss_me_now9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wow, that's kinda surprising to be honest. OT is so much more than just drawing pictures and creative pursuits - have you thought about how you're going to cope with doing hand therapy, your physical OT placements (including elderly discharge, A+E assessments and community OT) and paediatric OT? What about palliative care and learning disabilities? Or legal/expert witness work? Doesn't seem like it'd have many applications in those fields.

Don't get me wrong, some parts of OT are relevant to art therapy but by and large there's very little to compare the two with. Art therapy is about using creativity and art to express and manage emotions but not really practical or holistic in it's approach to anything other than mental health. You may find yourself type cast into mental health roles I would imagine. I think the difference would be that OT is far reaching but Art Therapy is quite closed off to where you can go.

Maybe my attraction to the physical side of OT is showing I think there's just so many cool things in OT that have nothing at all to do with art - assistive technology, neuro-rehab, making sure an elderly person is safe in their own home - that you'd be doing your passion for Art Therapy a disservice almost by doing OT first? Who knows, you might go to your course and come over to the dark side of OT

Best of luck! x

Also, out of curiousity, why wouldn't you be able to study your MA if you do Fine Art?
megbennett
Rep:
?
I do actually want to be an OT, I think maybe my post was misinterpreted. And I actually already work in palliative care as a therapy assistant, and at a school for children with learning disabilites! I have also worked with an OT in animal assisted therapy. I've done my research, completed a wide variety of placements and know exactly what I want to do! Physical OT very much interests me, and is a large part of my role now. I work accroos a broad MDT currently and the OT's and Art Therapists work very closely together. Art Therapy is a future possibility. You can be an artist and an OT at the same time haha. I do know a lot about Occupational Therapy and I wouldn't have applied for the course if I didn't. As you say 'OT is far reaching but art therapy could be quite closed off to where you want to go'. You have to do an undergraduate degree before you can get onto an Art Therapy course anyway, so OT is a much better option to begin with. I am very passionate about the field, and OT could lead me into so many different things, not just Art Therapy. Becoming an Art Therapist is just a possibility for the future, but who knows 5 years down the line.
I cannot complete a BA in Fine Art and then an MA after, because I would be £70,000 in debt.
Thanks!
kiss_me_now9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Fair play to you then. Sorry for coming across a bit rude - sounds like you've got it under wraps!

I see all the different areas of OT and go "I WANT TO DO THEM ALLLLL!"
xkedax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi im currently in collage and I will be applying to uni next year. I'm also looking at becoming a Art therapist and I would prefer to do OT at uni rather than fine art. I am very good at art but do you think they would accept me on to the masters course of I did OT?
megbennett
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by xkedax)
Hi im currently in collage and I will be applying to uni next year. I'm also looking at becoming a Art therapist and I would prefer to do OT at uni rather than fine art. I am very good at art but do you think they would accept me on to the masters course of I did OT?
I was worried about this too. But I found out you can do foundation courses in art therapy, so that you will have a portfolio to present when you apply for your actual art therapy masters!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (27)
5.6%
Uncertainty around my education (56)
11.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (57)
11.83%
Lack of purpose or motivation (64)
13.28%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (26)
5.39%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.36%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (51)
10.58%
Financial worries (29)
6.02%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
3.94%
Exposure to negative news/social media (31)
6.43%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (48)
9.96%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (39)
8.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed