How are the Edexcel GCSE science final grades calculated/given ? Watch

sugarisfunny
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm sitting edexcel gcse triple science, and I'm slightly confused as to how your final grades are calculated and given. Is it so that B1 C1 P1 and Unit 1 controlled assessment grades are totaled to give a final 'Core science' grade, B2C2P2 and Unit 2 controlled assesment totaled etc...? are your final grades classes as 'bio chem physics' seperately, or as 'core' 'additional' and 'further additional'? Excuse me for the confusing sentences- please ask me to clarify!
Lau14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sugarisfunny)
I'm sitting edexcel gcse triple science, and I'm slightly confused as to how your final grades are calculated and given. Is it so that B1 C1 P1 and Unit 1 controlled assessment grades are totaled to give a final 'Core science' grade, B2C2P2 and Unit 2 controlled assesment totaled etc...? are your final grades classes as 'bio chem physics' seperately, or as 'core' 'additional' and 'further additional'? Excuse me for the confusing sentences- please ask me to clarify!
This depends on your secondary school I believe, so go ask one of your teachers, but you'll come out with either Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSES (unit 1, 2, 3 for each) or core, additional and further (all the unit 1s together etc) as you said
vyyzx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing edexcel triple science too and your school may not be the same, but i done 3 controlled assesments ( 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 phy) and I will get 3 separate GCSE's - biology, chemistry and physics. Each will be made up of the 3 exams + the controlled assessment. e.g. B1, B2, B3 and the bio controlled assessment will make my biology grade. How have you found the core exams so far??
sugarisfunny
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lau14)
This depends on your secondary school I believe, so go ask one of your teachers, but you'll come out with either Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSES (unit 1, 2, 3 for each) or core, additional and further (all the unit 1s together etc) as you said
I'll make sure to ask my science teachers thank you!
sugarisfunny
Rep:
?
(Original post by vyyzx)
I'm doing edexcel triple science too and your school may not be the same, but i done 3 controlled assesments ( 1 bio, 1 chem, 1 phy) and I will get 3 separate GCSE's - biology, chemistry and physics. Each will be made up of the 3 exams + the controlled assessment. e.g. B1, B2, B3 and the bio controlled assessment will make my biology grade. How have you found the core exams so far??

i've also done 3 controlled assessments, one for each science subject. I see how your school works- mine may be the same or different...

I found b1 and c1 really good papers- thank God alot of the questions were the basics. Physics on the other hand, was quite challenging.. majority of my classmates came out of that exam saying it had gone really bad and I've searched around TSR and alot of people who took that exam also said it to be very hard. I found it quite difficult, but mostly because my revision wasn't up to par as best as it could've been the last six marker killed me, the 'floating ball' one how did you find core? and good luck for the remainder of your science exams!
Segsation
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you're doing triple then you'll be doing B1, B2, B3 and CAA for Biology and so on for Chemistry and Physics. People who do double do C1, B1, P1 and a CAA to make core science and again for additional science. However you can't do B3, C3, P3 and a CAA to make Extension science GCSE as Extension isn't a GCSE in its own right. Long story short, if you're doing the extension exams then you must be doing them as part of individual science GCSEs. You will get a GCSE each in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Sorry for the long answer! Good luck with your exams xxx
sugarisfunny
Rep:
?
(Original post by Segsation)
If you're doing triple then you'll be doing B1, B2, B3 and CAA for Biology and so on for Chemistry and Physics. People who do double do C1, B1, P1 and a CAA to make core science and again for additional science. However you can't do B3, C3, P3 and a CAA to make Extension science GCSE as Extension isn't a GCSE in its own right. Long story short, if you're doing the extension exams then you must be doing them as part of individual science GCSEs. You will get a GCSE each in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Sorry for the long answer! Good luck with your exams xxx
so for what youre saying, B1 B2 B3 and CAA grades are totalled to give a final ' bio ' grade, and so on?
Segsation
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sugarisfunny)
so for what youre saying, B1 B2 B3 and CAA grades are totalled to give a final ' bio ' grade, and so on?
Yep
Lau14
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Segsation)
You actually can do a "further additional science" GCSE which is B3, C3, P3! It's on the Edexcel website
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%