The Student Room Group

OCR biology f211- 21st may 2015

How did everyone find the paper?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found it really hard
I thought it was quite a weird paper, it wasn't hard, nor easy. Many questions were quite brief. I feel that i either did very well or not very well, was hoping for more questions that needed a good understanding of the topic with fairly detailed answers, rahter than the questions they asked which were mostly small questions.
If anyone can send me the paper I will do a markscheme this evening :smile:

Email: [email protected]
Reply 4
What did you get for the question on adaptation of guard cell?
Reply 5
Original post by Munrot07
If anyone can send me the paper I will do a markscheme this evening :smile:

Email: [email protected]

Don't have the paper 😕
I was rather brief, as i hadn't even looked over that since GCSE so i just said they open and close to determine weather gas exhange/water vapour is let in our out. It's probably wrong knowing my memory haha
Reply 7
I felt like I had really deep understanding of lots of the topics but wasn't able to show that in the answers because the questions were a bit odd. Strange paper, loved the question on the alveoli with 5 marks though!!

What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be?
Reply 8
Everyone get 14 and 0.4 for their spirometer answers?

Also for the guard cell adaptation I put active pumps to control water potential and large vacuole with differing turgor pressure to open and close stomata?
Original post by Nmik

Also for the guard cell adaptation I put active pumps to control water potential and large vacuole with differing turgor pressure to open and close stomata?

My class put 13 (we conferred after the exam), i put 1.3dm, since i thought it went from 3.5dm to 2.2dm, must of misread the question or something haha
Original post by Nmik

I put 13 and 0.5.
Original post by MaddimB
I felt like I had really deep understanding of lots of the topics but wasn't able to show that in the answers because the questions were a bit odd. Strange paper, loved the question on the alveoli with 5 marks though!!

What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be?

Completely the same tbh! I think they will be high, since the people whom possibly aren't that good of biology could of got a decent mark in it so i think they be fairly high, however if everyone made little mistakes or mis-understood the question like i did then i'm sure it will bump it down a little.

Wouldn't be surprised if an A was 48-49. I didn't even know what to write for the 5 marks, i wrote the standard answer about the squamous epithelium being thin, short diffusion distance etc, however i couldn't think of anything for 5 marks so i mentioned the capillary, though it won't be part of the mark scheme since it was talking about the alveoli specifically. I just hope they don't mark me done for 'unrequired' answer or something haha.
Original post by Nmik

I got 14 and 0.5.
For the guard cell I said something about many mitochondria and I also mentioned the large vacuole which makes the cell turgid and causes the guard cell to change shape.
Reply 13
Original post by Richpeasant
Completely the same tbh! I think they will be high, since the people whom possibly aren't that good of biology could of got a decent mark in it so i think they be fairly high, however if everyone made little mistakes or mis-understood the question like i did then i'm sure it will bump it down a little.

Wouldn't be surprised if an A was 48-49. I didn't even know what to write for the 5 marks, i wrote the standard answer about the squamous epithelium being thin, short diffusion distance etc, however i couldn't think of anything for 5 marks so i mentioned the capillary, though it won't be part of the mark scheme since it was talking about the alveoli specifically. I just hope they don't mark me done for 'unrequired' answer or something haha.

Yeah I feel like if you didn't do much revision you could still do well on that paper, so probably quite high boundaries :/
Reply 14
If someone finds or does the mark scheme please reply it to me👌🏼
Wait how did you guys calculate the rate of oxygen uptake? I calculated the volume of oxygen taken up (3.5 - 2.2) and divided it by 60 seconds...
Original post by MaddimB
Yeah I feel like if you didn't do much revision you could still do well on that paper, so probably quite high boundaries :/

I just feel there wasn't much to distinguish between an A grade student and a C grade student, i normally do well on the harder questions and worse on the easier ones, since it was full of 'easy' questions i probably did bad haha.
Back in 2011, there was a question on how you would measure the rate of oxygen uptake based on a spirometer trace...This is what the mark scheme said you had to do:543678738378.JPG

So, surely you would have had to do (3.5-2.2)/60 to get dm^3min-1?
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Back in 2011, there was a question on how you would measure the rate of oxygen uptake based on a spirometer trace...This is what the mark scheme said you had to do:543678738378.JPG

So, surely you would have had to do (3.5-2.2)/60 to get dm^3min-1?

The graph provided had time at the bottom.

So that wasn't necessary. You simply had to measure the change in volume over the 60 second time period. Which I think was 0.4-0.5.
Original post by Xin Xang
The graph provided had time at the bottom.

So that wasn't necessary. You simply had to measure the change in volume over the 60 second time period. Which I think was 0.4-0.5.

Yeah I just realised that haha...It was one mark wasn't it? So not too bad lol

Quick Reply

Latest