AQA English Literature GCSE Conflict THEMES Watch

cutestalpha
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What similar themes do poems in the conflict cluster have?
I'm trying to make a checklist so I know which poems would be good to compare with one another, any help is much appreciated
hello1404
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Background of Nature: Mametz Wood and Bayonet Charge
Conflict caused by attitudes to war: The Right Word and At the Border 1979
Armed Conflict: Belfast Confetti and The Yellow Palm
Nature: Hawk Roosting and The Falling Leaves, also potentially you could include Mametz Wood
Indirect approach to war: Mametz Wood and Poppies
Horror/Tragedy: Belfast Confetti and Bayonet Charge

hope this helps good luck!
TahmidGCSE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Suggested poems to be compared together: (Taken From a book you choose the one you can surely compare the most with)

Futility - Either 'The falling leaves' or 'Come on, Comeback' as they share the same theme of sadness and loss.
The Charge of the Light brigade - Either 'Poppies and Futility' which demonstrate the effect of conflict. Or 'Bayonet Charge' and 'Next to of course God America I' which share the theme of patriotism.
Come on, come back - Futility, The falling Leaves, Out of the blue, Mametz Wood, Hawk Roosting.
Bayonet Charge - The Charge of the Light brigade, poppies, belfast confetti, mametz wood.
The Falling leaves - Out of the blue, Mametz wood, come on comeback, futility , poppies.
Next to of course God america I - Hawk roosting, The yellow palm, The Right Word, Charge of the light brigade, Flag.
Flag - The Yellow palm , Charge of the Light brigade, next to of course God America I.
Out of the blue - Poppies, Belfast Confetti, Futility, Mametz Wood, Come on comeback.
Mametz Wood - Charge of the light brigade, bayonet charge, the falling leaves, out of the blue.
The Yellow Palm - Hawk Roosting, Next to of course God America I, The right word, At the border.
The Right Word - The yellow palm, Next to of course God America I, At the border.
At the border, 1979 - The Right word, Belfast Confetti, The Yellow Palm, Out of the blue, Futility.
Belfast Confetti - The charge of the light brigade, bayonet charge, the right word, the yellow palm.
Poppies - The Charge of the light brigade, futility, the falling leaves, come on comeback.

Hope i helped
cutestalpha
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by TahmidGCSE)
Suggested poems to be compared together: (Taken From a book you choose the one you can surely compare the most with)

Futility - Either 'The falling leaves' or 'Come on, Comeback' as they share the same theme of sadness and loss.
The Charge of the Light brigade - Either 'Poppies and Futility' which demonstrate the effect of conflict. Or 'Bayonet Charge' and 'Next to of course God America I' which share the theme of patriotism.
Come on, come back - Futility, The falling Leaves, Out of the blue, Mametz Wood, Hawk Roosting.
Bayonet Charge - The Charge of the Light brigade, poppies, belfast confetti, mametz wood.
The Falling leaves - Out of the blue, Mametz wood, come on comeback, futility , poppies.
Next to of course God america I - Hawk roosting, The yellow palm, The Right Word, Charge of the light brigade, Flag.
Flag - The Yellow palm , Charge of the Light brigade, next to of course God America I.
Out of the blue - Poppies, Belfast Confetti, Futility, Mametz Wood, Come on comeback.
Mametz Wood - Charge of the light brigade, bayonet charge, the falling leaves, out of the blue.
The Yellow Palm - Hawk Roosting, Next to of course God America I, The right word, At the border.
The Right Word - The yellow palm, Next to of course God America I, At the border.
At the border, 1979 - The Right word, Belfast Confetti, The Yellow Palm, Out of the blue, Futility.
Belfast Confetti - The charge of the light brigade, bayonet charge, the right word, the yellow palm.
Poppies - The Charge of the light brigade, futility, the falling leaves, come on comeback.

Hope i helped
The first two points were really useful so thanks so much for that but after that I am unsure of the common themes of the other poems, any more help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (68)
8.03%
I used to but I don't now (23)
2.72%