The Student Room Group

Edexcel iGCSE History 2015 (1st June, 10th June)

Scroll to see replies

any ideas for the china 15 marker?
Original post by Lola1244
any ideas for the china 15 marker?

Some people are suggesting it will be on the latter period of the course so including Deng Xiaoping and his policies, the gang of four, the democracy movement and the tiananmen square massacre but it's not worth trying to predict it... it could be anything so be prepared for anything to come up!
For the 15 marker for Russia this is the structure I use:
1. P (in question)
E from sources and own knowledge
E how this made the thing in the question happen

2. P another factor from the sources
E from sources and own knowledge
E how this made the thing in the quesion happen

3. P ideally not from the sources
E from own knowledge
E how this made the thing in the question happen

Conc. Make a judgement on whether you agree with the statement in the question or not
Say how the different factors were linked
Choose the most important factor and explain why this fator was more important than the others
Original post by ronit.prais
Some people are suggesting it will be on the latter period of the course so including Deng Xiaoping and his policies, the gang of four, the democracy movement and the tiananmen square massacre but it's not worth trying to predict it... it could be anything so be prepared for anything to come up!

Any idea how you would answer how far did support for Deng Xiaooing change?
Could you say after GLF support for him within the party rose
His series of more moderate reforms like turning people back to the fields meant popular support rose
However, this new popular support fell in the Cultural Revolution
Due to the anarchy that the cultural revolution had created, eg. industrial output fell by 14% his support within the party continued to be strong
This allowed him to ease Hua out of power, his policies like ten year plan etc meant popular support changed and rose
However, popular support was limited by the fact that he did not allow fifth modernisation, corruption within the CCP, inflation and overcrowding??
Overall Deng's support within the party greatly rose as they became more concerned with improving China's economy, yet support from the people did not change much- he did not allow the reforms they yearned for
Original post by Lola1244
Any idea how you would answer how far did support for Deng Xiaooing change?
Could you say after GLF support for him within the party rose
His series of more moderate reforms like turning people back to the fields meant popular support rose
However, this new popular support fell in the Cultural Revolution
Due to the anarchy that the cultural revolution had created, eg. industrial output fell by 14% his support within the party continued to be strong
This allowed him to ease Hua out of power, his policies like ten year plan etc meant popular support changed and rose
However, popular support was limited by the fact that he did not allow fifth modernisation, corruption within the CCP, inflation and overcrowding??
Overall Deng's support within the party greatly rose as they became more concerned with improving China's economy, yet support from the people did not change much- he did not allow the reforms they yearned for

That all sounds good and you can say that support for deng increased in the great leap forward because mao failed so badly so people turned their support to deng xiaoping, liu shaochi and zhou enlai and then for the cultural revolution, mao regained his political superiority but then I can't see how you're saying the cultural revolution allowed him to remove Hua out of power because he was put in power by the gang of four however you could say that support for Deng increased after the gang of four removed the posters and wreathes from Zhou Enlai's memorial in tiananmen square in 1976 and then the gang of four were hated by everyone to people turned to Deng again and then support really increased for Deng with all of his modern policies as you mentioned however then support decreased when he refused to allow any further westernisation and democracy into china despite the desires of it in china. So yeah but you have to make sure what you are writing is still within the time frame they give you in the question. Also they give you two points and so use those and then try and remember any events that happened before, after or between the events they have given you and write at least one more paragraph with an event they have not provided you with. Good Luck.
Any ideas for either medicine or russia?? URGENT
Reply 66
Reply 67
Oh dear... What a capitulation. India questions were just what I didn't want. Be happy with a B now. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Omg that was amazing
I was so happy that prohibition came up for USA
China was great as I just studied the 1911 revolution before the exam and I had read about changes under Mao and deng.
I'd be ****ed if the tianenmen square massacre came up.
How did everyone find it?
Reply 69
Original post by Neelthesuperdude
Omg that was amazing
I was so happy that prohibition came up for USA
China was great as I just studied the 1911 revolution before the exam and I had read about changes under Mao and deng.
I'd be ****ed if the tianenmen square massacre came up.
How did everyone find it?

prohibition was awful
the question was disgusting lol
Original post by ellie98
prohibition was awful
the question was disgusting lol

Oh unlucky, I had studied that right before the exam and all of America early in the morning lol
Everything I wanted to come up came up, lucky me 😀
Reply 71
Would 50% be a C?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
50% is generally a D since normally the grade boundaries are 82 % for A* and then decrease by 10% for each grade.

Russia and China questions were great! What did you put for the changes in China's agriculture? I had a paragraph on Agrarian Reform laws and Speak Bitterness, one on MATs, one on lower and higher level APCs and my final one was on the Responsibility System under Deng...
Original post by Zizeep
50% is generally a D since normally the grade boundaries are 82 % for A* and then decrease by 10% for each grade.

Russia and China questions were great! What did you put for the changes in China's agriculture? I had a paragraph on Agrarian Reform laws and Speak Bitterness, one on MATs, one on lower and higher level APCs and my final one was on the Responsibility System under Deng...

I wrote about the agarian reform law for my first para
I wrote about the first five year plan and how Mao introduced low end and high end collectives for my second.
I wrote about the Great Leap Forward and how Mao introduced communes for my third.
I then wrote about how deng alone peasants to have private plots and how he introduced that peasants will be paid according to how much work they did for my fourth.
Reply 74
Yeah I think that is a good way to do it- I just left out the communes bit and instead split the collective paragraph into collectives and then cooperatives.
for the world war one I did:
First Para Battle of jutland inflicted heavy losses upon german navy but battle of jutland also inflicted heavy losses upon british army...
earlier battles in the war were important...
the british had the navy codebook so they could decode their messages...
this allowed them to succeed at jutland along with better armour- 29 to 17 dreadnoughts...
jutland did mean that blockade was enforced but jutland success could not have been possible without the codebook and better ships
naval blockade deprived Germany of nitrates needed to make ships effective
U boats were a more significant threat than high seas fleet...
this was overcome by anti u boat measures..
I didn't however talk about the luistiania and America entering the war- is this enough?
Original post by Neelthesuperdude
I wrote about the agarian reform law for my first para
I wrote about the first five year plan and how Mao introduced low end and high end collectives for my second.
I wrote about the Great Leap Forward and how Mao introduced communes for my third.
I then wrote about how deng alone peasants to have private plots and how he introduced that peasants will be paid according to how much work they did for my fourth.

HAHA sounds identical to my essay!
Reply 77
Original post by idkman
i'm doing
Development of Dictatorship Germany
Civil Rights USA
Colonial Rule and the Nationalist challenge India
Conflict crisis and change: China
What i really don't like about history is that there's only one past paper, other than the examination questions that are only for the topics that are in the book.
How are you guys studying for the exam? :frown:

How did ya find India?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hogree
How did ya find India?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I had a bit of a problem with India considering I didn't revise the round table conferences in too much detail because they were pretty boring! So these were my approximate answers:
a) The source suggests that the first round table conference was mostly attended by British people rather than Indians. You can tell this because the majority of the people in the photograph are wearing British clothing. It also suggests that Gandhi did not attend the conference because he cannot be seen anywhere in the photograph.

b) my similarity was that neither of them said they wanted dominion status but I barely wrote anything so idk if it was okay. My difference was that whilst one of them said there's no way the british are planning on leaving india, the other one said India wanted independence. Then I said in my conclusion that source c partially supports source b in that they agree about india not being granted dominion status but source B doesn't want to free india whilst source c does.

c) I wrote my first point about why the failure of the round table conferences led to increased opposition to british rule because gandhi didn't go which showed his supporters that he didn't want to co operate with the british so they also opposed the british - i mentioned source A in this paragraph. And I said Jinnah wasn't actually invited to the third conference which showed muslims that the british didn't want to work with muslims which increased opposition.

Then I linked this to Gandhi's satyagraha (non violent civil disobedience) campaign during the 1930s because it encouraged mass participation and I gave some examples of what gandhi encouraged like boycotting elections and not buying foreign goods and so this increased opposition. I mentioned Source D in this paragraph. I think I also mentioned source B or C in this paragraph.

Then I spoke about how the government of india act increased opposition because it abolished the dyarchy thus moving further away from swaraj (home rule), which is completely the opposite of what a lot of indians wanted. So this increased opposition. And I mentioned Source D in this paragraph.

Then in my conclusion I said the round table conferences contributed to increased opposition but the government of india act was the main reason for increased opposition because it was an official mark that the British was not planning to grant India with purna swaraj (complete independence) in the near future.

So yeah those were my rough answers! Do you think they are okay??
What did you put ?
Original post by hogree
How did ya find India?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you think China went?

Quick Reply