The Student Room Group

Do universities accept lower grades?

Hi, I was wondering do universities accept lower grades than their entry requirements state?

I'm currently doing A-level History, Politics and Economics, in which I'm predicted C's and Russian in which I'm predicted A*

I wish to study Economics at uni, and the ones I want to go to say I need 280-340 UCAS points, and a B or C in GCSE English language and Maths - In which have B's in both.

For the UCAS points they say I need AAB or ABB or BBB. However if I get A*BCC or A*CCC will they accept me? Will my Russian sufficiently boost me? As I will have around 340-400 points?

I just want to know because my teachers are not quite sure, any response will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
There are other factors to consider, such as how oversubscribed a particular course is, if those they have already offered get lower grades etc.

But in general most universities are accepting lower grade, this is because A levels are in decline but also it is harder to get the top grades.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/11301884/Universities-admitting-more-students-with-low-A-levels.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10796685/UCAS-top-universities-should-consider-BTEC-students.html
Original post by SlimShady96
Hi, I was wondering do universities accept lower grades than their entry requirements state?

I'm currently doing A-level History, Politics and Economics, in which I'm predicted C's and Russian in which I'm predicted A*

I wish to study Economics at uni, and the ones I want to go to say I need 280-340 UCAS points, and a B or C in GCSE English language and Maths - In which have B's in both.

For the UCAS points they say I need AAB or ABB or BBB. However if I get A*BCC or A*CCC will they accept me? Will my Russian sufficiently boost me? As I will have around 340-400 points?

I just want to know because my teachers are not quite sure, any response will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

If Russian is your native language then some universities won't count it.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
If Russian is your native language then some universities won't count it.

It is my first language but I moved here when I was 6 and didn't go to school there, I was educated here and my Russian is not that good but good enough, but I am basically English by nature just not by name, If I explained this would it still not matter to them?
Don't think anyone can answer your question with any degree of certainty all unis are different - my offers were for specific grades not ucas points and it only included 3 grades - no one seemed to give a hoot that I took 4 A levels. I know of others in my year that got in with points that included only 2 A2 subjects but then a combination of other points from AS levels. Some I know missed the grades but still got in whereas others exceeded or met the points total but didn't match the grades (i.e. got AAC and not ABB) and got rejected. See its a mixed bag!

Best to just try your best to get exactly what the uni want - or call them to see if the points target can be met from 4 subjects and not the usual 3.

Good luck
It is my first language but I moved here when I was 6 and didn't go to school there, I was educated here and my Russian is not that good but good enough, but I am basically English by nature just not by name, If I explained this would it still not matter to them?

There was a very similar thread regarding an applicant with an A-level in Farsi recently. Even though you don't consider yourself a native Russian speaker you have a massive advantage in studying Russian - I imagine you can speak Russian with your parents or other relations, for example? As such, it is not a completely fair assessment of your academic ability. And if you have a Russian name, it will be obvious to the unis.

However, the 'better' the university the more likely they are to discount your Russian A-level. In general, unis which give out offers in terms of Ucas points rather than specific grades tend to be slightly less picky.
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
There was a very similar thread regarding an applicant with an A-level in Farsi recently. Even though you don't consider yourself a native Russian speaker you have a massive advantage in studying Russian - I imagine you can speak Russian with your parents or other relations, for example? As such, it is not a completely fair assessment of your academic ability. And if you have a Russian name, it will be obvious to the unis.

However, the 'better' the university the more likely they are to discount your Russian A-level. In general, unis which give out offers in terms of Ucas points rather than specific grades tend to be slightly less picky.

I see, that is right I do have an unfair advantage in the learning process as I didn't just learn it off my own back from scratch.
But will it help at all then? Say I need 340 points but only have 260 and the Russian brings me to 400 then I have 60 more than required, will they count it like that?
I know I won't get into a Russell group uni or even close to them but perhaps a mid-table uni? Like City University London or Brunel London being my highest targets?

Thanks everyone, didn't expect such quick responses!
I see, that is right I do have an unfair advantage in the learning process as I didn't just learn it off my own back from scratch.
But will it help at all then? Say I need 340 points but only have 260 and the Russian brings me to 400 then I have 60 more than required, will they count it like that?
I know I won't get into a Russell group uni or even close to them but perhaps a mid-table uni? Like City University London or Brunel London being my highest targets?

Thanks everyone, didn't expect such quick responses!

If you are just short then it can only help. Your best bet is to check with the universities directly. While doing your research, you also need to check specific subject requirements and whether unis want points or specified grades. For example, Brunel want BBB at A-level (not 300 points) including Maths - which you don't have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending