MCQ: Oral Ulcers, Arthritis, Pleural Effusion Diagnosis?

Watch this thread
Cannula
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi! would you mind giving your thoughts on this question please? I've narrowed it down to two options but I can determine which

Thank you

A 33 year old female has come in with an sore joints in her hands and wrists, they are painful particularly in the morning and get better throughout the day. She also complains of a painful red eye and oral ulcers. 2 weeks previously a chest x ray showed pleural effusion

Options:

Sarcoid
Rheumatoid arhtrits
Rheumatic Fever
Behchet's Disease
Systemic Lupus Erythematous

I think its either lupus or Behchet's. Lupus would be quite consistant with the small joint arthritis affecting the hands, and the pleural effusion (which can aslo happen in Behchet's, but is more common in SLE), and oral ulcers, although when I searched online, the anterior uveitis is more consistant with Behchet's disease.

Equally it could also be Behchet's which is more consistant with the oral ulcers and red eye, although joints affected are usually larger joints like knee and elbows, but Behchet's could also cause pleural effusions albeit its less common

Thank you guys
Dexa
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Unless you're planning on becoming a rheumatologist, I really wouldn't worry about a question like this lol

I think it's lupus btw.
DoctorInTraining
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Lupus

Fits with the Dopamine Rash mnemonic
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
SLE.
If in doubt, it's lupus.
inthevale
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'd say it's probably more likely SLE. Signs and symptoms fit, and they are taking about a female of childbearing age, which is stereotypical of SLE and behcets more common in men. In MCQs, they usually say the person is from middle eastern or turkic origin if Behcets
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (68)
66.02%
No (26)
25.24%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.74%

Watched Threads