The Student Room Group

news flash: change in diet gives man hair.....(?)

why is this happening to me?

for the last 3 years, i`ve suffered from really bad "acid reflux" - the stomach acid leaking into the intenstines....but, 4 months ago, in an effort to get rid of my "i look pregnant" belly - (i`m a dude), i took up exercise - weights, power-worker, dumbells, rowing, etc, and changed my diet.

I still ate SOME c**p, like crisps, cakes, and drank fizzy drinks, but recently, i`ve changed my diet even more and cut out the c**p completely, starting drinking small amounts of milk (which my stomach could never take before), and eating kiwi fruit (never had before) as i read online about how beneficial it is.

My simple question is: is my change in diet causing me to grow my new chest hair?

(my cheat has always been smooth)

(i am already a mature male)

...or is it just coincidence?

(if not, can i grow more on my head? - joke alert!)

cheers all
Reply 1
I'm going coincidence, I'm sure there are probably deficiencies that could effect hormones/hair growth but that'd be pretty extreme to cause such a noticeable effect with no other symptoms. So yeah, go most plausible explanation.

FWIW I'm 24 and still getting hairier, my chest hair has only really become noticeable in the last year, every time I see my back there seems to be a few more hairs, I've developed fluff hair on my upper arms that will darken in eventually and my stomach hair has increased so slowly I'd probably need to take year on year comparison photos to notice much but there's a lot more of it than when I was 18. It's pretty normal, guys have different levels of hairiness and get there at different rates. I've not looked into it but I'd think most guys hit their full hairiness by 25-30 but even then it will probably continue to very, very slowly increase- either in actual increase in hairs, getting longer or getting thicker.

Also, pretty sure the hairier your body is the more likely you are to go bald. Something to do with DHT levels or receptors.
Reply 2
Original post by BKS
I'm going coincidence, I'm sure there are probably deficiencies that could effect hormones/hair growth but that'd be pretty extreme to cause such a noticeable effect with no other symptoms. So yeah, go most plausible explanation.

FWIW I'm 24 and still getting hairier, my chest hair has only really become noticeable in the last year, every time I see my back there seems to be a few more hairs, I've developed fluff hair on my upper arms that will darken in eventually and my stomach hair has increased so slowly I'd probably need to take year on year comparison photos to notice much but there's a lot more of it than when I was 18. It's pretty normal, guys have different levels of hairiness and get there at different rates. I've not looked into it but I'd think most guys hit their full hairiness by 25-30 but even then it will probably continue to very, very slowly increase- either in actual increase in hairs, getting longer or getting thicker.

Also, pretty sure the hairier your body is the more likely you are to go bald. Something to do with DHT levels or receptors.

It's interesting isn't it? And I thought development stops around the early 20s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by kka25
It's interesting isn't it? And I thought development stops around the early 20s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd go more annoying than interesting, I'd quite like to stop getting hairier now :tongue: My dad was practically hairless at my age and is really hairy now so **** knows how I'll end up :lol:

In terms of height and stuff it does, it's mostly just hair that keeps going. For some guys it just never really stops coming in. I guess everyone is completely cover in light fluff hair and if you have the genetics repeatedly exposing it to testosterone will result in it turning into proper hair
Reply 4
Original post by BKS
I'd go more annoying than interesting, I'd quite like to stop getting hairier now :tongue: My dad was practically hairless at my age and is really hairy now so **** knows how I'll end up :lol:

In terms of height and stuff it does, it's mostly just hair that keeps going. For some guys it just never really stops coming in. I guess everyone is completely cover in light fluff hair and if you have the genetics repeatedly exposing it to testosterone will result in it turning into proper hair

But the hairier you are the more masculine one becomes! :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest