Could the world cease to exist?

Watch
The Wavefunction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Do we know of any event or series of events that if they happened would lead to the entire universe being destroyed?
From what I've read, it's going to happen eventually, but not for a looooooong time, 10^67 years, apparently.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd love if the world ended tomorrow tbh, I wanna see how it all happens
GeorgeAndLennie
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by driftawaay)
Wow, wtf is wrong with you
ArsenoliteAs2O3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The Wavefunction)
Do we know of any event or series of events that if they happened would lead to the entire universe being destroyed?
From what I've read, it's going to happen eventually, but not for a looooooong time, 10^67 years, apparently.
if the world had a beginning, then its a legitimate logical theory that the world will also come to an end. There are many events which can destroy the world such as the exploding of our sun which will happen eventually.
ArsenoliteAs2O3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If the world ended tomorrow then im afraid you probably wont be alive till the end, to witness exactly the sequence of the death of the world.
The two eds
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you hoping in the last minutes a good looking man uses his final moments (out of emotion and adrenaline) to take your 30 year long virginity away from you?
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The two eds)
Are you hoping in the last minutes a good looking man uses his final moments (out of emotion and adrenaline) to take your 30 year long virginity away from you?
1, I'm gay and
2, only 21 and
3, not a virgin

so try again
The two eds
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
1, I'm gay and
2, only 21 and
3, not a virgin

so try again
You have not lost your virginity from mere scissoring. You only lose virginity the conventional way.
driftawaay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by the two eds)
you have not lost your virginity from mere scissoring. You only lose virginity the conventional way.
l m a o
Attached files
Racoon
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think we do, its all in the book of Revelation. I don't think it will be that long.
Kanairee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think there are two most likely scenarios that would bring the world as we know it to an unnatural end. The first being technology. As advancements have progressed we have been producing 'smarter' technology designed to have less and less input from us, it is likely that at some point in the future we will create something that is entirely autonomous. If we, per chance, manage to give a machine some form of sentience, or if it happens to develop some kind of higher intelligence due to its programming, then they would be a huge threat to society, as they operate entirely on rationality. If we gave this machine a purpose, then its rational processing would lead it to make decisions that would make it most efficient in that purpose. The relevance of human lives wouldn't be applicable to a machine like this. There is the possibility that these sorts of machines may destroy the world as we know it in pursuit of their purpose.

The second being nuclear war, I suppose. The majority of humans are intrinsically defensive and when given the capabilities to exercise huge amounts of power over huge amounts of people, the results can be disastrous. I think basically what it comes down to is it'll be something of humanity's own invention that'll end up wiping us out.
shsstudent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wanna say two things. We know the most likely thing to wipe out humans. But were not willing to act today to save tomorrow.

And we all think about death and destruction to much. Our hole life literally leads up to it. So its hard not too but its probably gonna be so unimpressive and pitiful that we will be embarrassed we ever thought about it. The earths death or humans race death will probably be quick and boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thehistorybore
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thermodynamic equilibrium?
The Wavefunction
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by thehistorybore)
Thermodynamic equilibrium?
What about it?
lucaf
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did hear something to do with a "false vacuum", where the universe collapses to a lower energy state or something. A bit above my level

But really, we don't know how the universe was created, so it could feasibly be destroyed any instant by something equally unknown. But it is probably best to work on the assumption that won't happen
thehistorybore
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What about it?
Well, wouldn't that be when the world could cease to exist?
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you really want to see it visit The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
JoshDawg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
With more and more tech advancements it's giving human beings more power than they can handle or control. Certainly a large scale disaster would be caused by something like that (already have, nuclear meltdowns etc.). For some reason though I think in the future there will be a step up from nukes. Nukes are the big guns now that nobody will ever use unless somebody reaaaaally pisses somebody off. Otherwise it's bioweapons, drones etc.
Wyrley
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's several possibilities. If humans don't destroy the earth first, then our solar system will be destroyed when our sun reaches the end of its life cycle, although this won't be for millions of years. Also, there is theories that suggest eventually the universe will cease to carry on expanding and basically implode in on itself.
Trounced
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd say that the best options for the world as we know it are Asteroid impact (since NASA has a hard time seeing anything coming towards us and nothing to stop it), disease (especially with how inept we are at dealing with pandemics and the fact the antibiotics are begining to become useless thanks to the fact we are not funding them) and Supervolcanic events (like yellowstone although not in our life time). I really don't think humanity will wipe itself out through nuclear force since when it comes down to the wire neither side wants both to die, you can't win a war if you have destroyed the planet. Also I dont believe a Terminator like situation is likely, as even if someone is dumb enough to make self aware robots, it'd be stopped before it gets to bad. A grey goo scenario though would be problematic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads