The Student Room Group

I need option advice!!!

Hi guys, I am currently in year 11 and obviously its coming to the end of the year. I've been accepted into my school's sixth form and I really don't know what to pick? I wanted to do English Language but my school don't offer it, I could still go to my sixth form but do the course at another school.. but is it really worth it? anybody do English Language could give me advice? I also am definitely going to do a football course which you get 2 btecs from..

I'm good at drama, Spanish, food tech, PE, business etc.

I'm awful at science so that'd be a useless suggestion...

Anyone got any suggestions that could really help me out?

Thanks
Reply 1
I reluctantly chose to do English Language last minute and I couldn't be happier because now I'm going on to do it at uni. I grew to love it but I'm not gonna say go and do English Language just cos I did haha so I'd advise just doing what you enjoy. Make sure you look into what your chosen courses entail because I ended up hating a subject (art) that I thought in year 11 I wanted to pursue. You'd be surprised at how much you change your mind! Also, doing Spanish is likely to be very challenging as languages are really different at A level compared to GCSE (I do French).
Reply 2
what kind of things do you do in language? and is the exam similar to the GCSE one?
Spanish is challenging at AS in regards to the speaking aspect but it isn't too much of a step up in terms of the reading and listening paper especially as you get a mp3 for the listening so you can listen to the passages as many times as you want. Another different thing is that you have to write essays as well but in my experience I found it really rewarding and you get to know the language really well (I did Spanish AS level this year with AQA).
Reply 4
i am kind of reluctant to choose Spanish, i have a friend in year 13 who picked Spanish and says he really struggles.. compared to other people i prefer speaking and writing instead of listening and reading so im not really sure I'd like to do Spanish.. what else did you pick?
I chose History, Maths and Economics.
Reply 6
Original post by Marshmallow21
I chose History, Maths and Economics.

I've been considering History, is it good?
Yeah I really enjoyed learning the content - I did Britain in the 19th century and Napoleon which was so interesting. It is quite difficult but then all AS levels are.
Reply 8
Original post by Marshmallow21
Yeah I really enjoyed learning the content - I did Britain in the 19th century and Napoleon which was so interesting. It is quite difficult but then all AS levels are.

Thanks for the help!
That's alright. Good luck with your options!
Reply 10
All I have to add is that please, please choose something that you enjoy and know you will do well at. That is not to say that you shouldn't challenge yourself, but with a big decision like this, you should go with your heart. I speak from experience; I chose English Literature, Physics, Psychology and Sociology. I thoroughly regret taking Physics as I am terrible at it, though I believed I would manage thanks to some encouragement from my Physics teacher at the time.

I absolutely adore my other subjects though.

Go with your heart.
Original post by Thorsson
All I have to add is that please, please choose something that you enjoy and know you will do well at. That is not to say that you shouldn't challenge yourself, but with a big decision like this, you should go with your heart. I speak from experience; I chose English Literature, Physics, Psychology and Sociology. I thoroughly regret taking Physics as I am terrible at it, though I believed I would manage thanks to some encouragement from my Physics teacher at the time.

I absolutely adore my other subjects though.

Go with your heart.

I would love to do literature, but last year we took it a year early and I was really mucking around at school, not caring, not going anywhere didn't revise and failed lit, so I doubt they'd let me do it at A level if I got a D at GCSE. Real shame- target grade was an A. what do you do in psychology? my really close friend picked it she says she loves it but we've never gotten round to actually talking about what it is like
Reply 12
Original post by jaysaunderss
I would love to do literature, but last year we took it a year early and I was really mucking around at school, not caring, not going anywhere didn't revise and failed lit, so I doubt they'd let me do it at A level if I got a D at GCSE. Real shame- target grade was an A. what do you do in psychology? my really close friend picked it she says she loves it but we've never gotten round to actually talking about what it is like

You might as well inquire about doing English Lit. at AS Level, you never know. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Oh, psychology is great. I do Edexcel Psychology, but I don't believe the topics change too much depending on the exam board. We learn all about theories of the mind, memory, why we forget, why and how we interact with each other as humans, theories of interaction...all pretty existential stuff. Have a look at some of the resources and past papers here to get a feel for it. It's hard to put it all into just one post.
what kind of things do you do in language? and is the exam similar to the GCSE one?

I don't think it's similar to GCSE at all, when I was in year 11 I didn't really understand what English Language was. At AS I have to admit I found it a bit boring, it focuses on analysing different texts but the coursework allows you to do a bit of creative writing which is good if that interests you. At A2 however it's so much more interesting, you learn about how children learn to speak/read/write language and also how language has changed over time (new and old). That's all with AQA.
Original post by paigeloc
I don't think it's similar to GCSE at all, when I was in year 11 I didn't really understand what English Language was. At AS I have to admit I found it a bit boring, it focuses on analysing different texts but the coursework allows you to do a bit of creative writing which is good if that interests you. At A2 however it's so much more interesting, you learn about how children learn to speak/read/write language and also how language has changed over time (new and old). That's all with AQA.

the GCSE exam is so long and boring- and its so easy to run out of time- if anything restricts me of getting an A* it will be the timings in the exam lol
You might as well inquire about doing English Lit. at AS Level, you never know. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Oh, psychology is great. I do Edexcel Psychology, but I don't believe the topics change too much depending on the exam board. We learn all about theories of the mind, memory, why we forget, why and how we interact with each other as humans, theories of interaction...all pretty existential stuff. Have a look at some of the resources and past papers here to get a feel for it. It's hard to put it all into just one post.

what do you do in Lit? what is the coursework like and what are the exams like?
Reply 16
what do you do in Lit? what is the coursework like and what are the exams like?

For WJEC English Literature, we had to do four sections.
Two coursework pieces: an essay on a theme of our choosing within The Great Gatsby and another piece of literature, and also a creative writing piece.

For the exam, we were given a choice of theme and analyzed poems from Carol Ann Duffy and Sheenagh Pugh. We also had to analyze a modern play; Dancing At Lughnasa.

I enjoyed the two coursework pieces as I could really develop them and sink my teeth into them. I did feel a bit rushed in the exam but I managed it. I enjoyed doing the poetry section, though I did find the play a little dry.
For WJEC English Literature, we had to do four sections.
Two coursework pieces: an essay on a theme of our choosing within The Great Gatsby and another piece of literature, and also a creative writing piece.

For the exam, we were given a choice of theme and analyzed poems from Carol Ann Duffy and Sheenagh Pugh. We also had to analyze a modern play; Dancing At Lughnasa.

I enjoyed the two coursework pieces as I could really develop them and sink my teeth into them. I did feel a bit rushed in the exam but I managed it. I enjoyed doing the poetry section, though I did find the play a little dry.

thanks!
Reply 18
If you studied at two different schools then I guess your lessons could clash but you might be okay :smile:

Quick Reply