The Student Room Group

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DominoMatrix227
How difficult did you think it was compared to last year?

I can't remember last week let alone last year.
Original post by datguydj
thank you so much Mr M. think i got full marks... abiding by the fact my method marks were suffice.. just one question:
for the N=24 question, i had derived 24 from a quadratic equation i factorised... however i factorised the equation using my calculator.. would that drop me any marks?

No that's fine.
Original post by chargedpieces
Hello Mr M

for question 6 I wrote x = 2 , 3 and -5 instead of the answer you gave.
How many marks would I lose?

Drop 1.
Original post by Jay Mistry
Hi

Question 1iii) i wrote correct working, but typed wrongly into calculator producing a positive number similar to the answer - would i lose both marks

question 8 (a) i produced the correct working but again typed it wrong into my calculator, i got 27.1 - how many would be lost

question 9 (b) iiii i got one of the solutions 3.32 but not the other one - how many would be lost

1iii) lose 1

8a) lose 1 or more

9biii) lose 1
Original post by Mr M
Yes I expect so.

Thanks very much!
Hi
7iii) I have I have expanded the equation and found out 9n^2-13n+8=2075 can't really remember the numbers. But I didn't manage to factories it how many marks do you think I will get?
8b) I did logx^2+7=logy, I then put it back into the equation and make logx+logx^2+7=8, but I got the wrong answer at the end, so do I get any mark for doing this??
Original post by Mr M
Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) Core 2 Answers May 2015

1. (i) -2 (1 mark)

(ii) 3072 (2 marks)

(iii) -1048575 (2 marks)

2. (i) 21.4 (4 marks)

(ii) Increase the number of strips (1 mark)

3. (i) 32.1 (4 marks)

(ii) 22.7 (5 marks)

4. (i) 64+192ax+240a2x264+192ax+240a^2x^2 (4 marks)

(ii) 23\frac{2}{3} (3 marks)

5. y=4x327x3y=4x^{\frac{3}{2}}-7x-3 (7 marks)

6. (i) f(x)=(x2)(x3)(x+5)f(x)=(x-2)(x-3)(x+5) (4 marks)

(ii) 256 (4 marks)

(iii) The graph has positive and negative y values across this interval (2 marks)

7. (i) 62 (2 marks)

(ii) Show (3 marks)

(iii) 24 (6 marks)

8. (a) 17.1 (4 marks)

(b) x = 32 and y = 8 (5 marks)

9. (i) (a) 6πα6 \pi - \alpha (1 mark)

(b) 3πα3 \pi - \alpha (2 marks)

(ii) Draw one period of the sine graph with half the amplitude of the cosine graph (2 marks)

(iiii) 3.32 and 12.7 (4 marks)

Thanks so much Mr M. The only issue I have is the two questions on 9. that are 6pi - a and the two marker. I answered in degrees instead of radians, which is annoying. How many marks out of three will I get for that? Thanks!
Original post by Tobybeta
Thanks so much Mr M. The only issue I have is the two questions on 9. that are 6pi - a and the two marker. I answered in degrees instead of radians, which is annoying. How many marks out of three will I get for that? Thanks!

You'll just drop a single mark for working in degrees. Read the question more carefully in future!
Original post by Mr M
You'll just drop a single mark for working in degrees. Read the question more carefully in future!

Thank you!
Original post by Mr M
1iii) lose 1

8a) lose 1 or more

9biii) lose 1

This is the first time I've mustered up the courage to look at the mark scheme after that nightmare of an exam.

For the very last part of question 9 I got it to tanx = 2 and then instead of time sing by 3 I devided by 3. How many marks do you think I will get out of 4. Also do they do ECF on these papers. I got the first part of 9 wrong and the second part as I didn't realise it had been stretched, my answer to the second part would have been correct had I realised so had both my answers been scaled up I would have got the answers. Will any get any marks of the 3 for the 2 questions? Thanks. Sorry for asking a question on a dead thread and thanks for the mark scheme ( TSR should pay you for all thee help you give).
Original post by TheNervousWreck
This is the first time I've mustered up the courage to look at the mark scheme after that nightmare of an exam.

For the very last part of question 9 I got it to tanx = 2 and then instead of time sing by 3 I devided by 3. How many marks do you think I will get out of 4. Also do they do ECF on these papers. I got the first part of 9 wrong and the second part as I didn't realise it had been stretched, my answer to the second part would have been correct had I realised so had both my answers been scaled up I would have got the answers. Will any get any marks of the 3 for the 2 questions? Thanks. Sorry for asking a question on a dead thread and thanks for the mark scheme ( TSR should pay you for all thee help you give).

I've thrown the paper away now so can't really remember but yes ECF applies.
will u be posting the unofficial mark scheme for the mechanics1 exam on the 9th of june?
Reply 72
On question 5, how many marks would I lose for getting the wrong constant (second constant, of the second integration)? but everything else right for both integrations
Why is it 2N-(N-1) and not 2N-N I'm ver confused and hoping someone can explain...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending