Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why will I need to have in depth knowledge of Pride and Prejudice unless I become an english teacher, or want to impress ( or scare ) Colin Firth with my knowledge.

Most stuff u learn in school is totally useless to most people but I think its the fact that u can learn it and pick up little skills like logical thinking etc.. that's are the most important things

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Xenon
    I have always asked this question and have never received a proper answer for it. Where exactly do you need all of the trig stuff and algebraic fractions unless you want to become a teacher?
    if you are an ordinary joe on the street you probably wont need these things directly - but what most people dont realise is that almost everything that we take for granted: tv's, computers, all electronics, construction etc needs a great deal of mathematics to be possible, so maths is used all around us - not just for torturing school kids

ReputationRep:
    i hate maths wen ever i do i get hedaches do u???

i hate math but i still try 1% of the time the rest i sleep

ReputationRep:
    I have always asked this question and have never received a proper answer for it. Where exactly do you need all of the trig stuff and algebraic fractions unless you want to become a teacher?

if yur a busniess worker u need math and [email protected]#$ to understand
    the F#$%ing gragh and [email protected]#$

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by XTRONY
    if yur a busniess worker u need math and [email protected]#$ to understand the F#$%ing gragh and [email protected]#$
    lol

ReputationRep:
    hey sexy's i hate maths aswell unluky 4 some im doin pythagroas aswell an im 14 aswell! wat country r u from im frm scotland the brave rok on sexy's luv ya x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    hello. we r in a maths lesson right now and are just writing to express HOW MUCH WE HATE MATHS!!! We hate it sooo much we would rather be attacked by camels in boiling lave whilst eating dried fruit. we like dried fruit though. and also, get over yourself pythagoras, u have ruined our lives. love the three bored school children aged 14 x
    u sound well sexy im 14 an doin pythagroas in maths aswell wiked! luv ya sexy x

ReputationRep:
    hey phil im sitting next to u in maths ! I hate maths 2. xxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    does it matter whether its 10 or 30?? as long as i make more money thats all that matters.

love Katy ***
    What a terrible attitude!

ReputationRep:
    Well time for a difference of opinion. I find maths a very satisfying subject and ultimately the most rewarding at A level. No other subject has so much scope over society and technological innovation.

Apart from its inherent value in society, I also believe maths is a subject which should be studied for its own intrinsic academic value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    Well time for a difference of opinion. I find maths a very satisfying subject and ultimately the most rewarding at A level. No other subject has so much scope over society and technological innovation.

Apart from its inherent value in society, I also believe maths is a subject which should be studied for its own intrinsic academic value.
    I totally agree with you, nothing could satusfy me more than solving a hard thought mathematical problem. Its the sense of dignity and pride you get if you as an individual are able to contribute towards the welfare of the community. Among other professions and subjects mathematicians have contributed immenslely towards this aim. I belive that mathematicians, scientists and economists are the most valuable entities of a community. Also mathematics is the foundation of almost everything you look at in the real world. Mathematics ability to analyse even the most complex structures and presentit in a coherent and rigrous arguement is bar none.

Its your own taste and opinion whether you liek or dislike maths, however, it terms of importance and usefulness no one can argue that mathematics is not a contender and in fact the most strongest one.

For me mathematics is my passion and obsession But I am NOT very good at it!!! therefore its not only those people who are good at maths like maths...

ReputationRep:
    maths is the best!!

ReputationRep:
    hello. we r in a maths lesson right now and are just writing to express HOW MUCH WE HATE MATHS!!! We hate it sooo much we would rather be attacked by camels in boiling lave whilst eating dried fruit. we like dried fruit though. and also, get over yourself pythagoras, u have ruined our lives. love the three bored school children aged 14 x
    firstly your in a ict room when i have maths i am in a classroom wirh a russian teacher which can hardly speak full english. now i hate maths as well

ReputationRep:
    Well If u hate maths then u hate ALL science subjects since maths is the language of science.
    By the way,MATHS RULES!

ReputationRep:
    Blasphemy!

ReputationRep:
    Maths is only a great subject to study if your lecturer knows how to teach the subject in a way which allows one to learn. The only reason I got a B at Intermediate in GCSE, opnly because my teachers knew how to teach the subject. Now that I'm studying at SL on the IB, in Maths Studies, my lecturer does not teach in a way which allows me to learn. I have had to take up extra maths classes (2 more a week). because I'm not learning anything in my actual classes.

I like maths, but only if I'm taught it in a way, whcih will allow me to learn stuff that is relevant to what I want and need to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon)
    anything from working out the distance to nearby stars without taking any measurements to finding the degree of time dilation predicted and proven by special relativity.

you should be asking that question about RE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    anything from working out the distance to nearby stars without taking any measurements to finding the degree of time dilation predicted and proven by special relativity.

you should be asking that question about RE.
    Here here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by integral_neo)
    I totally agree with you, nothing could satusfy me more than solving a hard thought mathematical problem. Its the sense of dignity and pride you get if you as an individual are able to contribute towards the welfare of the community. Among other professions and subjects mathematicians have contributed immenslely towards this aim. I belive that mathematicians, scientists and economists are the most valuable entities of a community. Also mathematics is the foundation of almost everything you look at in the real world. Mathematics ability to analyse even the most complex structures and presentit in a coherent and rigrous arguement is bar none.

Its your own taste and opinion whether you liek or dislike maths, however, it terms of importance and usefulness no one can argue that mathematics is not a contender and in fact the most strongest one.

For me mathematics is my passion and obsession But I am NOT very good at it!!! therefore its not only those people who are good at maths like maths...
    i got a fat maths teacher who only has 1 eye so i dont learn much frm him! www.philnetwork.8m.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philouston)
    u sound well sexy im 14 an doin pythagroas in maths aswell wiked! luv ya sexy x
    why do 13/14 yr old boys always feel the need to use the word 'sexy'? I bet you have bleached curtains as well don't you, you little delinquant.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.