English literature unit 2 conflict cluster

Watch
atruezulu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
could i link flag with any other poem and why exept for at the border and poppies?
_lotty_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You can link it quite well with 'next to of course god america i' since both poems have underlying themes of anti-patriotism.
atruezulu
Rep:
?
(Original post by _lotty_)
You can link it quite well with 'next to of course god america i' since both poems have underlying themes of anti-patriotism.
reckon i could link it with the right word as both have perceptions and challenging assumptions?
Jamesstanley0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Next to of course God america i, they both have similar views sort of on patriotism but express them in different ways, for example next to of course God America i focuses on mocking patriotism and expresses it in a satirical manner whereas flag focuses on the negatives. It mentions how it can blind people and the strict structure is a representation on how patriotism is ruling. Both poems show how patriotism can be blinding/confusing as in flag it mentions "it will blind your conscience" where in next to of course God America I, it makes inter-texts references for example quoting the bible and the national anthem, this shows how the poet wants to show how patriotism can confuse people as the speaker can't come up with their own ideas, they have to use other ideas. Hope this helps and good luck! I'm so nervous haven't revised the poems! Hoping for some luck
atruezulu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jamesstanley0)
Next to of course God america i, they both have similar views sort of on patriotism but express them in different ways, for example next to of course God America i focuses on mocking patriotism and expresses it in a satirical manner whereas flag focuses on the negatives. It mentions how it can blind people and the strict structure is a representation on how patriotism is ruling. Both poems show how patriotism can be blinding/confusing as in flag it mentions "it will blind your conscience" where in next to of course God America I, it makes inter-texts references for example quoting the bible and the national anthem, this shows how the poet wants to show how patriotism can confuse people as the speaker can't come up with their own ideas, they have to use other ideas. Hope this helps and good luck! I'm so nervous haven't revised the poems! Hoping for some luck
Good luck mate im literally hoping the few poems that ive revised will manage to appear as im very nervous, also thnks for the info and to be honest i hate next to of course god america i but if i need to write about it i will....Good luck
Jamesstanley0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks! And I hate come on come back so much also the right word as I feel I have points to make but not comparison points!! Hopefully something like flag comes up as I like that poem and have a lot to say about it
atruezulu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jamesstanley0)
Thanks! And I hate come on come back so much also the right word as I feel I have points to make but not comparison points!! Hopefully something like flag comes up as I like that poem and have a lot to say about it
1 last thing, how are you going to structure your answer, i was thinking either lots of short comparative paragraphs or only a few long paragraphs as i think longer ones would be easier as you can write a lot about a little but im not entirely sure. What are you planning to do?
Jamesstanley0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was going to aim to spend 45 minutes on the comparison question, that's with roughly 5 minutes planning my answer, by the this I mean deciding which other poem to use and jot down 5 points to make, I will then put a single line through so the examiner doesn't mark it. Then I was going to aim to spend roughly 6-8 minutes on a paragraph writing in detail of comparison, analysis and poets intentions. This should take me 45 minutes. I will then spend 30 minutes on the unseen, I'll spend 5 minutes reading/highlighting then do a brief plan. I will then try and do 5 paragraphs again but this time shorter and not as in depth compared to the first question. Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
16%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (62)
31%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (24)
12%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.5%
I think it's an unfair expectation (52)
26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.5%

Watched Threads