The troubles Explained

Watch
PadraigPearse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I get the feeling that many young people in mainland Britain have little idea about the reason for the current situation in Northern Ireland and the decades of conflict that preceded it , I grew up to witness the tail end of civil war and to see the green shoots of peace emerge.

Anybody with any questions fire away!
william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I already know why the Troubles happened. I am a Loyalist. Also there is no peace. You can't have peace without Justice which hasn't been done.
PadraigPearse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
"Green shoots of peace" It impossible to deny that times have improved greatly over the past few years, also waht do you mean by "Justice"
Shabalala
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It just doesn't sit right with me that a large percentage of the politicians in Northern Ireland on both sides of the divide are former terrorist leaders who had no issue with murdering men, women and children. Both sides claimed it was a war but they had absolutely no regard for human life I remember hearing about two Australian civilians who were murdered just because they had a British Hire car in a town called Roermond in the Netherlands which was near a few Army and RAF bases in Germany yet the IRA didn't even apologize all they did was make excuses about it being a war, then there was the case of a 6 month year old child Nivruti Islania and her mother Smita who were gunned down whilst the IRA scumbags targeted the British Army corporal Mick Islania they didn't care who was in the car with him all they cared about was their hatred and taking human life in their so called war. Killing unarmed soldiers who are in civilian clothing and are not expecting it is not a war it's about as pathetic and cowardly as you can get.

Now the scum who committed those acts are free to walk the streets, maybe I could accept that if it's the price to pay for peace but what I cannot accept is the likes of Gerry Adams who attended the funeral of the people responsible for those murders and defended their actions. The fact murderers like him are now leading the country is absolutely sickening and is an insult to every innocent victim who was murdered by a bunch of thugs and religious nuts.

Northern Ireland will not fully move on until the terrorist scumbags from the past are dead and lying in the ground and a new breed of politicians who hopefully aren't motivated by sectarianism and religious hatred are ruling the country, I am astounded that the people of Northern Ireland are happy to accept a bunch of backwards dinosaurs lording it over them like they are.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree to some extent that instead of being punished, some people who resorted to or encouraged violence seem to have been rewarded and elevated on both sides sides. That bothers me, but again I suppose it is the price of peace.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (123)
43.01%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.73%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (113)
39.51%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.75%

Watched Threads