The Student Room Group

OCR G673 SOCIOLOGY OF EDUCATION- WHO's DOING IT?!?

Anyone doing g673 sociology of education?

Let's get this thread started!!!! "hopes someone actually replies looool"😄

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haha yes I am! You got a reply! I'm actually looking for predictions for that paper? Any ideas?

Original post by stressedbrownboy

Original post by 12AS1
Haha yes I am! You got a reply! I'm actually looking for predictions for that paper? Any ideas?

No idea... I believe they may ask about role of the economy perhaps. I'll post pics of my A grade essay one sec
Reply 3
Can you email it to me? So that it is clearer and I can use it for revision. Thank you
No idea... I believe they may ask about role of the economy perhaps. I'll post pics of my A grade essay one sec
Reply 4

Hey! My teacher also thinks the needs of the economy will come up or education reproducing social class. Im so scared for it.
Original post by Rosiee_m
Hey! My teacher also thinks the needs of the economy will come up or education reproducing social class. Im so scared for it.

Lol it isnt that hard, I barely revised all year and got a D grade. If I had worked a few weeks I think I'd have even managed an A possibly. so tell me what questions are your teachers predicting ? As you have two questions to answer out of three right
Reply 6
Lol it isnt that hard, I barely revised all year and got a D grade. If I had worked a few weeks I think I'd have even managed an A possibly. so tell me what questions are your teachers predicting ? As you have two questions to answer out of three right

I know it's not that hard but im always scared for exams anyway. She thinks the other dea question will be on social class outside school factors
Original post by Rosiee_m
I know it's not that hard but im always scared for exams anyway. She thinks the other dea question will be on social class outside school factors

Hmm what sort of factors would you discuss in such a question on outside school factors and social class?Wouldn't it be cultural capital and the fact that children from middle class families were ingrained with beneficial knowledge that the school curriculum coincides with? Also how perhaps working class parents/guardians cannot afford to provide monetary assistance for their child; paying for trips and tuition for instance isnt readily available to working class statused students as opposed to that of the middle class and the upper classes?

Let's get some serious discussion going people😊
Hey can you please PM me thr A grade answer.
Reply 9
Yess found a thread lool, can someone tell me the predictions and maybe some model answers pleaseee!
Thanks
Policy predictions?
I'm doing it. What's making everyone so sure policy will come up?
Reply 12
female educational achievement hasn't come up for a while
What are everyones teachers predicting to come up? I'm doing this privately so I have no idea 😳

I am ☺️ Do you by any chance have any idea how to structure 50 markers for the G673 exams, I'm getting all muddled up. I just about know how to structure the answers for G674 though so I'm not completely stupid haha 😂☺️
Hmm what sort of factors would you discuss in such a question on outside school factors and social class?Wouldn't it be cultural capital and the fact that children from middle class families were ingrained with beneficial knowledge that the school curriculum coincides with? Also how perhaps working class parents/guardians cannot afford to provide monetary assistance for their child; paying for trips and tuition for instance isnt readily available to working class statused students as opposed to that of the middle class and the upper classes?

Let's get some serious discussion going people😊

Hiya gunna butt in here and I'm not sure if this is right but I think you could use Hendessi as an outside school factor- material factor says that poverty is often linked to culture because of family norms so that can link to ethnicity. Eysenck talks about IQ saying what you bring to school is proportional to what you take out which could link to class and ethnicity and I think Bernstein and Murray might say something similar.

Some more sociologists that link to ethnicity as being a reason for differences in educational achievement could be good out sewell who has been drummed into me almost every lesson I think 😂 gives a cultural reason of peer group and media culture (Afro Caribbean boys) says by default they reject school.Moddod says about language barriers (cultural) archer and Francis say that Chinese parents push their children to work hard and do extra work and encourage them to do well and I think driver and Ballard say something similar about Indian families. bolangnani talks about the myth of return saying that children will return to their home countries with their family for long periods so miss out and are behind on work when they come back so that's another outside factor.

Hope this helps and is actually right haha it's what I have written down on grids my teacher gave us to help with revision :smile:
Original post by Emilykatherine_x
Hiya gunna butt in here and I'm not sure if this is right but I think you could use Hendessi as an outside school factor- material factor says that poverty is often linked to culture because of family norms so that can link to ethnicity. Eysenck talks about IQ saying what you bring to school is proportional to what you take out which could link to class and ethnicity and I think Bernstein and Murray might say something similar.

Some more sociologists that link to ethnicity as being a reason for differences in educational achievement could be good out sewell who has been drummed into me almost every lesson I think 😂 gives a cultural reason of peer group and media culture (Afro Caribbean boys) says by default they reject school.Moddod says about language barriers (cultural) archer and Francis say that Chinese parents push their children to work hard and do extra work and encourage them to do well and I think driver and Ballard say something similar about Indian families. bolangnani talks about the myth of return saying that children will return to their home countries with their family for long periods so miss out and are behind on work when they come back so that's another outside factor.

Hope this helps and is actually right haha it's what I have written down on grids my teacher gave us to help with revision :smile:

I don't think ethnicity will come up as it came up last year. I haven't revised it at all D:
Reply 17
Hi guys. I've planned a social class inequality essay for the 50 marker. Hope it helps :smile:

Outline and assess socialexplanations for differences in educational achievement between social classes(50)
Thesocial class of an individual has a direct correlation to their level ofacademic achievement through the education system. As a generalisation, pupilsfrom a middle class background tend to do better than working class children,as they are at an advantage even before starting school. Although thedifferential educational achievement refers to the disparity between socialgroups; gender and ethnicity differences are also argued by alternatingsociologists to be important, as they claim that these factors help also helpdetermine an individuals’ educational achievement.
Insideschool factors, particularly relating to the Interactionist perspective oneducational attainment, can have a subsequent effect on the achievement ofdiffering social classes. Interactionists argue that the relationship betweenteachers and pupils along with key notions of labelling and stereotypic of particularsocial groups has a consistent effect on the achievement and self-esteem ofpupils. The working class pupils, for example, are prone to negative labelsfrom the middle class teachers they are taught by; who usually usestereotypical class labels including the “chav culture” and a benefitunderclass. Rist and his study show that teachers usually placemiddle class pupils as their ‘ideal student’ in terms of performance, behaviourand attitude. This group of pupils are said to be conforming to the demands ofthe hidden curriculum and due to being place in a higher regard than theirpeers, middle class students tend to get a self-esteem boost and tend toachieve above average, as expected by teachers.
Conversely,Interactionists argue that the negative labels applied by teachers to workingclass pupils has an effect on their educational feats. Firstly, negativelabelling sets in place a self-fulfilling prophecy. Jacobson (1968)argues that the stereotypical labels causes them to be internalised by theworking class pupils who responded by actually fulfilling the prophecies.Leading on from the notion of teacher labelling, selective processes are placedin schools such as setting and streaming. Ball (2003) says that byplacing working class pupils in lower sets causes them to suffer a decrease inself-esteem which causes them to resort to a negative relationship betweenthemselves and the education system. Box’s views agree with thisdisruptive connotation to streaming students as he claims that this contributesto them forming anti-school subcultural groups whose norm is predominantly torebel against the educational system.
TheInteractionist studies relating to social class can be criticised for nottaking into consideration the wider societal factors outside of schools thatcause social class inequalities. PaulWillis argues that the working class culture is undermined byInteractionists and in actual fact, pupils (backed up by the ’12 Lads’ theory)actually work to neglect the negative labels that teachers put on them.
Smith and Noble (1995) say that there are 3 mainbarriers to educational achievement that result in the outside school factor ofmaterial deprivation. Firstly, differing incomes of different social groupsmeans that working class pupils are disadvantaged because they usually haveless capital to spend on recourses such as books and extra tuition. Also,affluent parents may be able to accommodate themselves to buy housing near the“catchment areas” to be closer to the ‘best’ schooling. Lastly, stigmatisationand bullying for children whose parents cannot afford trips and other elementsof schooling affects pupils and subsequently their achievement levels.
Thereis other evidence that also suggests that material deprivation is a crucialfactor in explaining working class underachievement. Payne (2001)argues that the parents of middle class A-level students are able the use theireconomic resources to encourage their moderate intelligence children to achievehigher grades, because they are easily able to pay for re-sits and hiringprivate tutors. This ideology behind richer, middle class parents using wealthto buy education is supported by the SuttonTrust (2010). Research by the trust shows that private school pupils are 25times more likely to be given a university place as oppose to a state school childwith similar A-level grades.
It canbe argued that the emphasis put on material depravation for explaining socialclass inequalities ends up ignoring the fundamental role that teachers andeducationalists play in causing underachievement for working class pupils.
Despiteinside and outside factors relating to social class helping to show the effectof inequalities having a subsequent effect on individuals’ educationalachievement, factors including ethnicity and gender may also be equallyeffective in explaining this.
Thecultural values of pupils outside of school help shape the consequent successor failure of individuals, including aspects of ethnic minority culture such asfamily background and attitudes. Archer and Francis state that Chinese put ahigh value on educational success as it is a way ofearning prestige and honour in their community. Chinese girls therefore may bemore motivated to earn the praise and recognition of their parents and socialcommunity therefore they want to aim to achieve higher.
Another alternative perspective that could explain educationalinequality would be gender differences. Changes in the wider society includingthe changing attitude of young women towards academics, as argued by Wilkinson;and changes in the labour market during the 1970s which caused men to end upunderachieving are major reasons which there is a disparity between educationalachievements. Due to this, despite middle class people usually being advantagedmore than working class individuals- social and economic factors that affectmales and females differently may cause them to still underachieve.
Thedistinct gap between the rich and poor pupils caused by their social classbackground has an imminent effect on the outcome of educational achievement.The education secretary Michael Gove argues that the “rich, thick kids” doconsiderably better than “poor, clever children”, helping to highlight theyawning gap between working and middle class individuals. However, social classinequalities are not the most paramount in explaining why someone fails orsucceeds because factors including gender and ethnicity may also affect theoverall education experience.
Hi

Does any one know what the questions were specifically for last years exam?

That would be great help.

Thank you
Does anyone know what the questions were last year??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending