The Student Room Group

Almost completed ACCESS so UNI next

Good morning TSR,

I am currently within the dying embers of the Access to HE programme. So, I suppose to conclude the metaphor university will be my Phoenix. I am forever curious about other peoples feelings and experiences during this time so please share them here. How has the programme been for you? Perhaps you are preparing to begin the access programme or perhaps you have been there done that.

Moreover, what are you going to be studying in university? Did the application process go smoothly? Did you overcome any barriers? What does your future hold?

As a side note if anyone does have any questions or worries regarding Access I wil be happy to answer.

Scroll to see replies

How has the programme been for you?

Overall, very good. Some modules I enjoyed more than others, but that's par for the course. Met some great people on the course who have made it really worthwhile.

Moreover, what are you going to be studying in university?

Hopefully HSPS.

Did the application process go smoothly?

Frantic! Left everything till the end. Would not recommend this.

Did you overcome any barriers?

I received two rejections (Warwick, Durham) in quick succession. It made me very nervous, but it all worked out in the end.

What does your future hold?

Probably the most intense 3 years of my entire life.
Reply 2
Original post by dennismubaiwa
How has the programme been for you?

Overall, very good. Some modules I enjoyed more than others, but that's par for the course. Met some great people on the course who have made it really worthwhile.

Moreover, what are you going to be studying in university?

Hopefully HSPS.

Did the application process go smoothly?

Frantic! Left everything till the end. Would not recommend this.

Did you overcome any barriers?

I received two rejections (Warwick, Durham) in quick succession. It made me very nervous, but it all worked out in the end.

What does your future hold?

Probably the most intense 3 years of my entire life.

Thank you for your reply.

I have just looked into HSPS - the course seems absolutely fascinating. What was your inspiration/influence for choosing this potential course?

You also raise a good point regarding applications. Since most access programme courses are 1 year in length getting an application complete in time for the UCAS deadline can be a squeeze. So for any person potentially going forward on the access programme it is important to try be clear about what courses are of interest early on.

Sorry to hear of the rejections - this can be quite natural in many cases. Glad to see it has not affected you moving forward.
Reply 3
Just as another general side note curious if anyone chose the degree or university they REALLY wanted. Or have other factors dictated Choices?
Reply 4
I've just finished the 1st year of uni! I'm studying education and English studies at Durham.

I loved my access course- history and English lot were my favourites. The tutors pushed us very hard and prepared us for the demands of uni. The step up is quite a shock! Lectures are fast paced and deliver so much new information- the work load is a little crazy- it's literally 6 months so be prepared to work non-stop until May if u want a First or 2.1.

If they give u a reading list- start it now.
I've not really had a typical uni experience as I live with my daughter and husband but others have become fully emersed.

Enjoy the summer and relax before you start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by kss2660
I've just finished the 1st year of uni! I'm studying education and English studies at Durham.

I loved my access course- history and English lot were my favourites. The tutors pushed us very hard and prepared us for the demands of uni. The step up is quite a shock! Lectures are fast paced and deliver so much new information- the work load is a little crazy- it's literally 6 months so be prepared to work non-stop until May if u want a First or 2.1.

If they give u a reading list- start it now.
I've not really had a typical uni experience as I live with my daughter and husband but others have become fully emersed.

Enjoy the summer and relax before you start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is wonderful. Thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations on completion of your access course they are not easy. First year down that's brilliant. Glad to see you are enjoying your time and your degree subject. English is a beautiful area of study and I can imagine Durham complemens this perfectly.

Personally I am prepared for hard work. I have to be. My chosen subject for study is Japanese language and culture at a russel group university.

Already embracing the reading into the origins of Japan and its religious cultures.

Once again I commend you for taking the steps and progressing with your studies fabulous work.
(edited 8 years ago)
I have just looked into HSPS - the course seems absolutely fascinating. What was your inspiration/influence for choosing this potential course?

I saw the variety of subjects on offer, plus I could explore some new areas. I also like their comparative approach to politics. I also managed to shadow a student and attended a few lectures and that was ace!

So for any person potentially going forward on the access programme it is important to try be clear about what courses are of interest early on.

^^^This.

Sorry to hear of the rejections - this can be quite natural in many cases. Glad to see it has not affected you moving forward.

Thanks :smile:. Still need to actually meet the offer before it's official!

Just as another general side note curious if anyone chose the degree or university they REALLY wanted. Or have other factors dictated Choices?

Didn't really care where I ended up though I secretly wanted to read PPE at Oxford initially. LSE and UCL weren't keen on my Access Course for their PPE program. I also looked into the dual degree ESPS program at UCL but the prospect of interviews made me write it off quickly! I started looking at PPE alternatives and stumbled upon HSPS. I loved the look of it and I also loved how the modules seemed to 'coincide with my interests as well.
Reply 7
Original post by dennismubaiwa

I saw the variety of subjects on offer, plus I could explore some new areas. I also like their comparative approach to politics. I also managed to shadow a student and attended a few lectures and that was ace!

So for any person potentially going forward on the access programme it is important to try be clear about what courses are of interest early on.

^^^This.

Thanks :smile:. Still need to actually meet the offer before it's official!

Didn't really care where I ended up though I secretly wanted to read PPE at Oxford initially. LSE and UCL weren't keen on my Access Course for their PPE program. I also looked into the dual degree ESPS program at UCL but the prospect of interviews made me write it off quickly! I started looking at PPE alternatives and stumbled upon HSPS. I loved the look of it and I also loved how the modules seemed to 'coincide with my interests as well.

I must admit before reading your post I had not come across the HSPS before. The flexibility of the course seems fantastic. Really great choice. Exploring new horizons is what university is all about.

Shadowing is a wonderful idea and great advice for anyone who is not quite sure about taking the leap forward to university study.

Oxford is a brilliant dream. You can still achieve this with postgrad study so dont give up on this.

Conditional offers are nerve racking but you will make it.
Original post by Seiza
Good morning TSR,

I am currently within the dying embers of the Access to HE programme. So, I suppose to conclude the metaphor university will be my Phoenix. I am forever curious about other peoples feelings and experiences during this time so please share them here. How has the programme been for you? Perhaps you are preparing to begin the access programme or perhaps you have been there done that.

Moreover, what are you going to be studying in university? Did the application process go smoothly? Did you overcome any barriers? What does your future hold?

As a side note if anyone does have any questions or worries regarding Access I wil be happy to answer.

Hi I know what you mean I've also been wondering what people's access course experience is like!
I've nearly finished my health science access course. Its been quite a year. I'm going into Audiology and am on track to meet the offer of my chosen university (45 credits at distinction!).
I decided to take my tutor's advice at the beginning of the course and start the work given as soon as I received it and I'm glad I did! I finished my final biology exam this week and and there was a psychology assignment due a couple of days after, but I actually finished it quite a while ago and handed it in a couple of weeks back to concentrate on revision! So it's possible!
There were however two assignments I did 'the night before' because of pressures from life and work and I do not recommend it at all. Doing work like that does affect the quality of your work. So I learnt my lesson from it lol.
For now I must say after this hectic college year it's very strange not to have any assignments to worry about , so I'm going to make the most of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by bibliboo
Hi I know what you mean I've also been wondering what people's access course experience is like!
I've nearly finished my health science access course. Its been quite a year. I'm going into Audiology and am on track to meet the offer of my chosen university (45 credits at distinction!).
I decided to take my tutor's advice at the beginning of the course and start the work given as soon as I received it and I'm glad I did! I finished my final biology exam this week and and there was a psychology assignment due a couple of days after, but I actually finished it quite a while ago and handed it in a couple of weeks back to concentrate on revision! So it's possible!
There were however two assignments I did 'the night before' because of pressures from life and work and I do not recommend it at all. Doing work like that does affect the quality of your work. So I learnt my lesson from it lol.
For now I must say after this hectic college year it's very strange not to have any assignments to worry about , so I'm going to make the most of it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply and sharing some of your experience.

On track for the maximum 45 credits at distinction is an incredible achievement especially in the science based pathway. Very well done. Audiology what a fantastic area of study truly fasinating. Language is a big passion for me personally so just briefly touching on studying the human ear. Incredible.

I have been much the same completing work early it is vital for good marks consistently in the access programme. However, yes the odd last minute assignment as crept in also. It is a shame but can not be avoided on some occasions but it absolutely adds to the level of stress hugely.

The year does go by so fast in a breeze really quite amazing. It's funny how at the start of the year you think how long you going to have to wait to reach your dream of university study then the next moment you wake up and it is 20 days until final hand ins. I hope your post inspires other science lovers who are worried about the level of requirements needed to reach their goals.
Which access course are you doing?
Yes the year has flown by incredibly fast. This time last year I was simply applying for the course lol. Amazing how much work has been done since!
At the start I was very worried about how well I'd be able to adjust after 11 years in retail and doing absolutely nothing scientific! Especially when I consider how badly I did in A levels all them years back (yes that includes biology A levels lol)
But after the first couple of weeks I just clicked and got on with it ! I now wonder why I couldn't have done the same as a 17 years old! You live and learn!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Which access course are you doing?
Yes the year has flown by incredibly fast. This time last year I was simply applying for the course lol. Amazing how much work has been done since!
At the start I was very worried about how well I'd be able to adjust after 11 years in retail and doing absolutely nothing scientific! Especially when I consider how badly I did in A levels all them years back (yes that includes biology A levels lol)
But after the first couple of weeks I just clicked and got on with it ! I now wonder why I couldn't have done the same as a 17 years old! You live and learn!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I currently studying on the humanities and social sciences pathway. Holding conditional for Japanese studies. 30 distinctions are required for my course.

Ah yes last year I did not even know the access course existed. Never been on UCAS before. Did not even possess functional skills level 2. Never written an essay and suffer from border line dyslexia. This struggle with language is fueling my passion to progress further into the study of it.

I commend you for taking the leap out of an established career for something you have ambitions for it is a wonderful thing.

Yes that just clicked moment comes as a great realisation as you understand that you are capable of more then you ever gave yourself credit for in the past.

Acces changes lives not just academically. I often jest that this is my form of therapy.
Wow I rate that it can't have been easy making that first step. Good on you for overcoming your dyslexia and going for it. The access course is a good learning curve.
It's a shame when some people in your class are not able to get the most out of it due to personal problems isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Wow I rate that it can't have been easy making that first step. Good on you for overcoming your dyslexia and going for it. The access course is a good learning curve.
It's a shame when some people in your class are not able to get the most out of it due to personal problems isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Not easy step at all I was a complete wreck really during enrolment process and up to the front doors on the first day of the course. However, a moment clarity stepped forward were said to myself I can't let the anxiety of the situation overrule me. So I spoke my mind and interacted. Now I can't get rid of people needing my thoughts and confidence boost! Hehe I jest again but funny how life turns around like that.

I fear some others on the course are almost reserved to their fate. Kind of like that bad habit of feeling not worthy of university. Even though the majority are actually reaching their targets I just feel sometimes their targets are lower then the potential I see within them every day. It is difficult coming from an economically deprived area in which people don't feel they are worthy of what they are capable of. breaks my heart to see it.
Reply 14
Original post by Seiza
I currently studying on the humanities and social sciences pathway. Holding conditional for Japanese studies. 30 distinctions are required for my course.

Ah yes last year I did not even know the access course existed. Never been on UCAS before. Did not even possess functional skills level 2. Never written an essay and suffer from border line dyslexia. This struggle with language is fueling my passion to progress further into the study of it.

I commend you for taking the leap out of an established career for something you have ambitions for it is a wonderful thing.

Yes that just clicked moment comes as a great realisation as you understand that you are capable of more then you ever gave yourself credit for in the past.

Acces changes lives not just academically. I often jest that this is my form of therapy.

Thank you for your wonderful comment! Access and academic work really does change you, I feel like a completely different person; someone who is valuable and worthy of obtaining a degree. I have moderate dyspraxia but I don't let that hold me back- it's just about finding out what suits you best.
Even this year at uni my written skills have improved, my essays this year cannot be compared with anything I had done on my course last year.

Language is a commendable subject and a very interesting one too. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours 😄
Reply 15
Original post by kss2660
Thank you for your wonderful comment! Access and academic work really does change you, I feel like a completely different person; someone who is valuable and worthy of obtaining a degree. I have moderate dyspraxia but I don't let that hold me back- it's just about finding out what suits you best.
Even this year at uni my written skills have improved, my essays this year cannot be compared with anything I had done on my course last year.

Language is a commendable subject and a very interesting one too. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours 😄

Thank you once again for the reply.

I'm glad to see you are feeling an improvement from univeristy study that's fantastic.

It is great to see that change has been a positive thing for you aswell. It is easy to underestimate just what possibilities are out there. As mature students it is often the case whereby we become defined by bad experiences in the past such as schooling. However, the freedom of which information and in turn knowledge is becoming open to more and more people through technologies and the Internet mean that we can now right those past woes and realise that failure was not due to poor individual potential but to poor information accessibility and delivery. Universities are now embracing these new measures and I hope to see more and more mature students realising that they have the capacity to dance with ideas, knowledge and information instead of being alone in the chair of past school examination horrors.
I have finished my first year at university but I still remember doing my Access course. It felt neverending! After I completed one assignment, the next one comes along. It was literally never ending. I was working different shifts as well so I had to organise my time and be more efficient. I had two weeks to complete an assignment, which usually consists of research (I was doing Social Science). But as it was going towards moderation, I was getting my work done in less than a week and obtaining merits and distinctions, mosrly. I felt extremely happy once moderation was complete and I received my certificate! I will say this - it was worth it! I am really glad I done it! Now it is the waiting game to see if I have passed my first year :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Butterfly92xo
I have finished my first year at university but I still remember doing my Access course. It felt neverending! After I completed one assignment, the next one comes along. It was literally never ending. I was working different shifts as well so I had to organise my time and be more efficient. I had two weeks to complete an assignment, which usually consists of research (I was doing Social Science). But as it was going towards moderation, I was getting my work done in less than a week and obtaining merits and distinctions, mosrly. I felt extremely happy once moderation was complete and I received my certificate! I will say this - it was worth it! I am really glad I done it! Now it is the waiting game to see if I have passed my first year :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello and congratulations on completing the access course and making it through your first year of university that is a brilliant achievement well done. I wish you best of luck with the results.

Yes I agree about the assignments. As the course is one year long (normally) there is so much to fit in and many stresses. Though it is absolutely brilliant preparation for university stresses. I do am doing social sciences and it is a really interesting mix of ideas concepts and theories. Perfect for getting the juices flowing for university. It is great to see you got the grades you wanted.

You raise a good point about the extra responsibilities that are inevitable surrounding mature student study such as work commitments. This is usually quite different from those studying a levels out of school. These pressures do add to the stress of the course no doubt. However, meeting people from all walks of life can be a fascinating experience and almost like a social study in of its self. There are many ups and downs attributed with the access course but I advise any one who is reading this who has perhaps not reached there dream of university or looking into a field of study they always wished they had. Who is feeling despondent or is dissatisfied with their position in life be that there job, career or lack there of. Please consider changing your life with the fantastic opportunities in which the access programme provides and please please please do not let the lack of confidence you may have be a barrier to opening up a world of inspiration, thought and above all fulfilment.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm nearing the end of my access to nursing course :biggrin: I have 3 pieces of work to be given back before I'm signed off but it looks like I'll be getting Distinctions in each applicable module. Before I started the course I would have never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be capable of that.

The workload of the course has been quite intense and very testing at times but it has been completely worth the hard work. As others have said, it is just assignment after assignment but if you start the assignments as soon as you get them, then you will be in a good position to do well. I'll be going on to do a Nursing degree at Northumbria University which includes full time placement and assignments, so I believe that the Access course has readied me to cope with the intense workload.

I was lucky enough to receive an offer from each university I applied at but the application process was quite stressful. The best advice is to begin your personal statement before you even start your access course, this way you will give yourself a head start over the other students beginning with you. It will also show your lecturers that you are focussed and determined which can only be a positive thing as they are the ones who will be writing your UCAS reference.
Reply 19
Original post by alpaca13
I'm nearing the end of my access to nursing course :biggrin: I have 3 pieces of work to be given back before I'm signed off but it looks like I'll be getting Distinctions in each applicable module. Before I started the course I would have never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be capable of that.

The workload of the course has been quite intense and very testing at times but it has been completely worth the hard work. As others have said, it is just assignment after assignment but if you start the assignments as soon as you get them, then you will be in a good position to do well. I'll be going on to do a Nursing degree at Northumbria University which includes full time placement and assignments, so I believe that the Access course has readied me to cope with the intense workload.

I was lucky enough to receive an offer from each university I applied at but the application process was quite stressful. The best advice is to begin your personal statement before you even start your access course, this way you will give yourself a head start over the other students beginning with you. It will also show your lecturers that you are focussed and determined which can only be a positive thing as they are the ones who will be writing your UCAS reference.

Good afternoon

Congratulations on nearing the end of your access course and on the distinctions. Really great job! Nursing is a wonderful vocation and I commend you for pursing this. Those last pieces of work can be the most stressful!

Congratulations also on your university offer fabulous! You are right in the fact that the access programme does show you exactly what you are capable of and it looks like you are ready for great things.

The personal statement can seem at times and overwhelming nightmare so that is good advice to start early. It is important to put across your personality onto the page. Start strong on the course make an impression on potential referees and this little page of a few thousand characters could be the key to unlocking your dreams.

Once again thank you for an inspiring post.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending