username1296012
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey, anyone doing pre med studies at Lancaster this year? Also, anyone who has studied it, can you give me an idea of what the course entails: are there practicals? Exams? Etc.
Thanks
medrocksmysocks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

I am doing pre-med this year. It currently involves 12 Biology modules and 3 Chemistry modules at first year university level. These are the modules I took:

BIOL111: Molecules of Life
BIOL112: Cell Structure and Function
BIOL113: Genetics
BIOL114: Biotechnology
BIOL115: Protein Biochemistry

BIOL121: Anatomy and Tissue Structure
BIOL122: Impact of Microbes
BIOL123: Infection and Immunity
BIOL124: Hormones and Development
BIOL125: Human Physiology

BIOL131: Skills in Biomedical and Life Sciences
BIOL132: Experimental Design and Data Analysis.

CHEM103: Inorganic Chemistry
CHEM104: Organic Chemistry
CHEM113: Physical Chemistry

Assessment involves repeatable online tests, coursework, end of module tests and end of year exams. End of module tests are every 5 weeks and there is usually atleast 2 coursework elements per module (Chemistry having more). The split is as follows (respective to above):

Biology: 10%, 30%, 30%, 30%.
Chemistry: 9%, 25%, 16%, 50%.

There is usually atleast one practical a week, however its usually two. There are workshops too (regular classroom size), in order to go through problems.

Don't let all this scare you haha. Premed has been a great albeit full on year for me. I have made some great friends and the small year sizes (10 for my year) means you all get close. Lancaster has a nice campus with quite a bit going on in terms of events, with alot of societies too.

Its not definite progression onto medicine, you can still get straight rejections and you do have to get certain grades to be accepted. 60% overall and 50% in 10 of your 15 end of year exam questions (for Lancaster & Liverpool) currently.

Obviously this is all subject to change, but if you are sure Medicine is your route and are lacking science qualifications, or have other unusual circumstances like me, it is a good choice to open your horizons.
username1296012
Rep:
?
Thank you, this is really useful! Do you need to do a personal statement etc. for your progression onto medicine? And are you in every day Monday to Friday?
medrocksmysocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

Yes, you need to do another UCAS application to Lancaster & other universities (if you choose). Your personal tutor is your reference, so you will have to wait until freshers week/week after to submit it. Experience and commenting on what you learnt through that experience is great. I am not sure how this will work with the inclusion of the BMAT in Lancaster's application process for 2016 entry (as I did not have to do it for this year); I assume you will have to do it the summer before you begin.

We are in every day usually, but it tails off towards the end of the year somewhat (I had Fridays off!). Wednesday afternoons are free for sport. All first year accomodation is on campus, so its only a short (5 minutes) walk if you live far away (Cartmel/Lonsdale) or only a couple of minutes if you live close (Furness/Bowland).
PremedStu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Other premed here,
dont do it if you've got another option.
Hell on earth

But you make good friends.
username1296012
Rep:
?
(Original post by medrocksmysocks)
Hi,

Yes, you need to do another UCAS application to Lancaster & other universities (if you choose). Your personal tutor is your reference, so you will have to wait until freshers week/week after to submit it. Experience and commenting on what you learnt through that experience is great. I am not sure how this will work with the inclusion of the BMAT in Lancaster's application process for 2016 entry (as I did not have to do it for this year); I assume you will have to do it the summer before you begin.

We are in every day usually, but it tails off towards the end of the year somewhat (I had Fridays off!). Wednesday afternoons are free for sport. All first year accomodation is on campus, so its only a short (5 minutes) walk if you live far away (Cartmel/Lonsdale) or only a couple of minutes if you live close (Furness/Bowland).
Oh yes I heard they were introducing the BMAT for this year! What are the chances of getting on to medicines? I read somewhere that they allocate a certain amount of places for medicine for the premed people. Are all the pre med people in the same accommodation or is it just random allocations?
Have you had an interview?
medrocksmysocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Random accomodation in the sense you pick what college and where you'd like to live, but you get matched with random people. Luck of the draw there I'm afraid.

I found pre-meds were treated the same as a regular interviewee (as it should be); we are guaranteed an interview however. 5 of our 10 cohort received offers (which is roughly in line with the 50% of people reaching interviews getting offers). Some were placed on a reserve list (which medical schools use on A level results day).

So yes, I've had my interview. I'm afraid I can't talk about that, but the information they send you contains everything you need to know.
PremedStu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Gavin the best tutor has left now anyways, don't go here, don't listen to medrocksmysocks
CharlotteBroady
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I loved my year here, although i didn't get in I'm proud of everything I've achieved.
Ean (medrocksmysocks) is a beautiful person.

Do not do this course, unless you fancy a year of competition.
Its like the hunger games.
Only one comes out alive.
Me, I died like Rue.

KTHXBI
username1296012
Rep:
?
(Original post by CharlotteBroady)
I loved my year here, although i didn't get in I'm proud of everything I've achieved.
Ean (medrocksmysocks) is a beautiful person.

Do not do this course, unless you fancy a year of competition.
Its like the hunger games.
Only one comes out alive.
Me, I died like Rue.

KTHXBI
Haha, I'm hoping I'll be Katniss then! I'm ready for a fight if that's what it takes! I'm sorry to hear you didn't get in but hopefully, you are going on to do something you will enjoy

Which is the best accommodation at Lancaster or what would you recommend?
username1296012
Rep:
?
Random accomodation in the sense you pick what college and where you'd like to live, but you get matched with random people. Luck of the draw there I'm afraid.

I found pre-meds were treated the same as a regular interviewee (as it should be); we are guaranteed an interview however. 5 of our 10 cohort received offers (which is roughly in line with the 50% of people reaching interviews getting offers). Some were placed on a reserve list (which medical schools use on A level results day).

So yes, I've had my interview. I'm afraid I can't talk about that, but the information they send you contains everything you need to know.
I suppose 50% is better than what it would be otherwise! Are the interviews in March time like usual or at a different time to those applying for direct entry to med?
medrocksmysocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Avc123)
I suppose 50% is better than what it would be otherwise! Are the interviews in March time like usual or at a different time to those applying for direct entry to med?
We have them at the same time in March.

I recommend Grizedale personally! Good bar, close enough to shops and lectures.
username1296012
Rep:
?
We have them at the same time in March.

I recommend Grizedale personally! Good bar, close enough to shops and lectures.
Haha trust a uni student to base their accommodation on the alcohol availability
Is that where you stayed?
medrocksmysocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha trust a uni student to base their accommodation on the alcohol availability
Is that where you stayed?
Haha, it's a good way to blow off steam after those tests. I stayed at County in the townhouses. Its nice, I just tend to feel that Grizedale was a bit more fun haha.
username1296012
Rep:
?
Haha, it's a good way to blow off steam after those tests. I stayed at County in the townhouses. Its nice, I just tend to feel that Grizedale was a bit more fun haha.
It's such a hard decision! I agree with that, is Lancaster a good night out?
Are there many events or things going on or societeties?
medrocksmysocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's such a hard decision! I agree with that, is Lancaster a good night out?
Are there many events or things going on or societeties?
Its okay lol. Its not a city university when it comes to night life, but the SU nightclub sugarhouse is decent, hustle is a bit of a dive but I like it and glow rooms isn't bad either.

Lots of societies, that shouldnt be a problem, think of something and there will be a society for it. We have a few campus events (stages etc) a year.
username1296012
Rep:
?
Its okay lol. Its not a city university when it comes to night life, but the SU nightclub sugarhouse is decent, hustle is a bit of a dive but I like it and glow rooms isn't bad either.

Lots of societies, that shouldnt be a problem, think of something and there will be a society for it. We have a few campus events (stages etc) a year.
That sounds okay i guess. Are you staying at lmacaster for med?
medrocksmysocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That sounds okay i guess. Are you staying at lmacaster for med?
Yes, got 2 interviews but only lancs gave me an offer . I advise you spend time researching and targetting which medical schools are most likely to accept you. For instance, Keele values voluntary work which isnt just shadowing. There is alot you can learn from the student room:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_strengths and by reading each university's admissions reqs.

You will be advised to apply to Liverpool if you come here, as they have had a previous relationship (Lancaster medical school used to be part of Liverpool). Therefore Liverpool is familiar with the qualification more so than the other unis.
username1296012
Rep:
?
Yes, got 2 interviews but only lancs gave me an offer . I advise you spend time researching and targetting which medical schools are most likely to accept you. For instance, Keele values voluntary work which isnt just shadowing. There is alot you can learn from the student room:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_strengths and by reading each university's admissions reqs.

You will be advised to apply to Liverpool if you come here, as they have had a previous relationship (Lancaster medical school used to be part of Liverpool). Therefore Liverpool is familiar with the qualification more so than the other unis.
That's brill! Well done is that an unconditional? Yes I thought it was only liv and Lancaster that you could apply to, I think I'd probably meat to stay at Lancaster too tbh! Are you living on campus or getting a house ?
medrocksmysocks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's brill! Well done is that an unconditional? Yes I thought it was only liv and Lancaster that you could apply to, I think I'd probably meat to stay at Lancaster too tbh! Are you living on campus or getting a house ?
60% overall and 50% in 10 of my 15 exam answers I need to get. You can apply to a fair few places: HYMS, Brighton and Sussex, Keele (this depends on your situation, you must contact them for clarification) and UEA to name a few.

Campus for my first year (again haha) but second year I will be renting in the private sector. You can't commit to a house really as you don't know if you'll get on!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (135)
58.95%
No (52)
22.71%
Not sure (42)
18.34%

Watched Threads