The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

did any current warwick students miss their offer but still get it?

Just wondering how lenient it is is all. I realise that it depends how everyone else does and depends on course.

Scroll to see replies

The standard maths offer is A*A*A + 2 in STEP or A*AA + 1 in STEP, I know people who have A*A*A + 3 and A*AA + 3 in STEP. So people get into maths without the grades.

I also know people who got into Chemistry and Engineering without the grades.

Obviously it's not guaranteed - but it is possible.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Ive got an offer for Computer Science and abit unsure whether i'll get the grades or not
Reply 3
I do Computer Science and know a couple of people who got AAB (offer was AAA), though I have heard rumours that the offer has gone up this year, so it might not be the same.
Reply 4
Original post by m00c0w
I do Computer Science and know a couple of people who got AAB (offer was AAA), though I have heard rumours that the offer has gone up this year, so it might not be the same.

Ooh thats good to know because I have AAA as my offer
Original post by TheIrrational
The standard maths offer is A*A*A + 2 in STEP or A*AA + 1 in STEP, I know people who have A*A*A + 3 and A*AA + 3 in STEP. So people get into maths without the grades.

I also know people who got into Chemistry and Engineering without the grades.

Obviously it's not guaranteed - but it is possible.

Know roughly how many for maths who missed it? In A*A*A + 2, my A* is FM is looking more dodgy than the 2 in STEP.
Original post by Jai Sandhu
Know roughly how many for maths who missed it? In A*A*A + 2, my A* is FM is looking more dodgy than the 2 in STEP.

I don't know exact numbers I'm afraid. I personally know 2 people with A*AA3. Weirdly I know no one with A*AA2 or A*A*A3, I imagine there must be some because they would be accepted over the A*AA3's you would imagine...

Obviously no one can tell you for certain, but there is always a chance to get in without the grades. I imagine there's at least a couple of people in every year.
I rang them up and apparently if I get AAB there's a good chance that they'll still let me in. My offer is AAA for MEng Mechanical Engineering.
I know some people who got A*AA and 2 in STEP and got in for maths
Reply 9
Original post by Smug Life
I rang them up and apparently if I get AAB there's a good chance that they'll still let me in. My offer is AAA for MEng Mechanical Engineering.

That's because on there website they say they'll take you on the BEng if you miss the MEng offer... Having said that, it seems the people who got AAB last year tended to be put on MEng anyway. Just a heads up, I got A*BC last year and was accepted for BEng :smile:

If you're still at sixth form how can you start a MEng course? (instead of BEng)
Reply 11
I'm at Imperial at the moment and they gave me a STEP offer - which I missed.
Original post by Patrick2810
If you're still at sixth form how can you start a MEng course? (instead of BEng)

I don't know, I just applied for the 4 year MEng course.

Original post by roar96
That's because on there website they say they'll take you on the BEng if you miss the MEng offer... Having said that, it seems the people who got AAB last year tended to be put on MEng anyway. Just a heads up, I got A*BC last year and was accepted for BEng :smile:

Oh, cool. What subject was each grade, and how are you finding the course?
Really depends on what you are doing I think. I think for the business side and maths they might be quite hard on you're grades. I've heard of some people this year who missed their math offers but the Uni offered them discrete maths instead? I'm not sure what that entails though. Some courses will let you drop a grade, and to get a good indication you'll probably have to contact the uni itself.

Some courses are lenient and Warwick actually had a lot of courses on clearing last year, even a few places with lowered boundaries for courses like PPE and Engineering (BBB apparently!) but I think you'll struggle to find Maths/MORSe on there. I know someone who missed their psychology offer and was rejected but applied through clearing and got a place.
Reply 14
I don't know, I just applied for the 4 year MEng course.

Oh, cool. What subject was each grade, and how are you finding the course?

I'm actually starting in October as I applied for differed entry, looking forward to it! I got A* in maths, B in physics and C in geography. Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 15
What's the likelihood I'll still get in for maths with A* B (in further maths) A and 1 in step and distinction in AEA? I messed up one A2 exam really badly but know the others will go well.. And if they rejected me, could they offer me discrete maths with these grades?
Original post by aprilth
What's the likelihood I'll still get in for maths with A* B (in further maths) A and 1 in step and distinction in AEA? I messed up one A2 exam really badly but know the others will go well.. And if they rejected me, could they offer me discrete maths with these grades?

1 in STEP and Distinction in AEA o.O Damn, and here I am failing at getting a 2 in STEP or Distinction in AEA.
Reply 17
Original post by Jai Sandhu
1 in STEP and Distinction in AEA o.O Damn, and here I am failing at getting a 2 in STEP or Distinction in AEA.

Ah I just do better in pure maths and Step is more about the method than about learning formula and applying- something I'm terrible at :frown:
Original post by aprilth
Ah I just do better in pure maths and Step is more about the method than about learning formula and applying- something I'm terrible at :frown:

Huh, well I wont get a Distinction in AEA because I cant do vectors at all and vectors come up in almost every paper. In STEP I think its great fun doing the papers im just really bad even though ive done all the papers from 1987->2010 (saving the last 4). I think ive potentially got 100% UMS in both M2 and M3 B.C.S, 95% average over the two W.C.S. so I think I am pretty set for the A* in FM which I am happy about. Have you emailed the maths department? I know people have got in with A*AA + 3 and I am pretty damn sure yours out ranks that.
Original post by Patrick2810

Lots of STEM courses offer an undergraduate degree with an 'integrated masters'. Different universities, and even different departments within universities manage this differently.*, but in every instance it is an attempt to secure good students for the four years of their student loan entitlement.

* they may have two exit points e.g. BEng and MEng. Seemingly stronger students are taken for the MEng but will have to exit with the BEng if they get a 2.2 in the third year, apparently weaker students are taken for the BEng but told they can be promoted to the MEng if they get a 2.1 in the third year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending