The Student Room Group

Integration by Parts of Fractions?

Hello I am revising for my maths exam and came across some questions I was unsure of:

a) x/e^x

b) ln4x / x^3

Thanks in advance for all the help
Original post by Peace&Love
Hello I am revising for my maths exam and came across some questions I was unsure of:

a) x/e^x

b) ln4x / x^3

Thanks in advance for all the help

1ex=ex.\frac{1}{e^x} = e^{-x}.
Original post by brittanna
1ex=ex.\frac{1}{e^x} = e^{-x}.

Yes does that mean x/e^x is xe^-x?
Yes does that mean x/e^x is xe^-x?

Yes! And x^3 is similar.
Yes! And x^3 is similar.

so does this mean the lnx question is

x^-3 ln4x?
so does this mean the lnx question is

x^-3 ln4x?

Yep :biggrin:.

Thanks so much!

Just to confirm would the overall answer to part b be:

(-1/2)(x^-2)ln4x - (x^-2)/4

I haven't actually written my answer with brackets but just to make it clearer for you to see what I mean.
Just to confirm would the overall answer to part b be:

(-1/2)(x^-2)ln4x - (x^-2)/4

I haven't actually written my answer with brackets but just to make it clearer for you to see what I mean.

Yeah, I think that's correct :biggrin:. Remember, a good way of checking your answer is to try differentiating it to see if you get back to what you started with.
Yeah, I think that's correct :biggrin:. Remember, a good way of checking your answer is to try differentiating it to see if you get back to what you started with.

ok thank you. the answer in the book is -ln4x/2x^2 - 1/4x^2 is this the same thing. Sorry i get confused
ok thank you. the answer in the book is -ln4x/2x^2 - 1/4x^2 is this the same thing. Sorry i get confused

Yeah, they're the same as x2=1x2x^{-2} = \frac{1}{x^2}. Maybe if you write times symbols between each of the parts, it might help you see how the two answers are the same a bit more clearly :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending