The Student Room Group

ArmyJobs - Army Reserve

Hi Everyone,

Fancy adding more adventure to your life?

Want to see what it’s like to work in a challenging new environment? Perhaps you want to train for a new career? Either way, the Army Reserve gives you the chance to develop your personal and professional skills in your spare time. With hundreds of roles available, there's more than one way to be the best!

Why join the Army Reserve?

Travel - Opportunity to train in places like Kenya or California

Skills - Earn military and civilian qualifications

Pay - Get paid for all of the training and Reserve duties you complete

Benefits - Joiners financial incentives and the opportunity to earn a tax free bonus every year

Fitness - Be trained by the best and become "Army Fit" in no time

If you serve in your spare time as an Army Reserve soldier or officer, you’ll earn the same rate of pay as your colleagues in the Regular Army. It’s a great way to put some extra cash in your wallet. Your pay covers time spent training and travelling to your unit, meals when on duty and a uniform. You also get a tax-free bonus if you train for a certain number of days each year. The more training you do, the more you get.

Check out Reservist rates of pay here: http://bit.ly/ReservistPay

Below are a few FAQ's:

How old do I have to be?:
To join the Army Reserve you need to be 18. You can apply to join when you are 17 years and 9 months old, so that you're ready to join on your 18th birthday.

Maximum ages for joining the Reservists:
To join as a soldier, you must apply by the time you are 49 years and 11 months. You must start Phase 1 training by your 51st birthday, and be in Phase 2 by your 52nd birthday
To join as an officer, you must apply by the time you are 48 years and 9 months. You must start your training by your 50th birthday
Rejoiners can still join as a soldier until their 52nd birthday, and as an officer (if they have previously commissioned) until their 57th birthday.

Can I leave?:

As a Reservist, you can leave at any time you want, unless you've been mobilised. You can leave just after you've joined, during training or even if you've already joined your unit. If you decide at any point that the Army isn't for you, or your life changes and you can no longer give it as much time, all you need to do is tell your superiors. They'll check that you really do want to leave and explain the procedure to you.

Are there any incentives to join?:

You will get these extra payments on top of your tax-free bounty (paid on meeting your annual minimum commitment) and your Army Reserve salary:

£300 when you’re accepted on to training

£1,000 when you complete your Phase 1 training

£1,000 when you complete your Phase 2 training

Incentive payments for ex-Regulars:As an ex-Regular you can get up to £10,000 on top of the tax-free bounty (paid on meeting your minimum annual commitment) and your Army Reserve salary.You could get:

£2,000 on approval by the CO of your Army Reserve unit

£3,000 after completing your first year full training commitment

£3,000 after completing your second year full training commitment

£2,000 after completing your third year full training commitment

To be eligible you must meet these conditions:

You must have completed at least four years Regular service with the rank of Captain or below

You must join the Army Reserve after 1st January 2014

You must have left the Regular Army no more than six years before enlisting in the Army Reserve

You must have applied for and be capable of employment in a post approved by an Army Reserve unit CO

You must be Medically Fully Deployable (MFD) or Medically Limited Deployable (MLD)

Is there any commitment?:
Depending on the unit you join, your minimum training commitment could be 19 or 27 days a year.

For more information on roles available and more on the Army Reserve check out the links below:

Army Reserve: http://bit.ly/TSRArmyReserve
Role Finder: http://bit.ly/TSRRoleFinder

Any questions you have on the Army Reserve, we are happy to answer!

Regards
ArmyJobs
i cant afford to miss any days in university so i could only join if i knew for certain that deployments and things like training courses that span over 15 days etc, would take place during summer holidays etc. is this the case?
Original post by benny-boi89
i cant afford to miss any days in university so i could only join if i knew for certain that deployments and things like training courses that span over 15 days etc, would take place during summer holidays etc. is this the case?

That's what the OTC is for :wink:
Original post by threeportdrift
That's what the OTC is for :wink:

Ye I applied to them and like many others passed but wasn't accepted due to a limited number of places, it was then they recommended joining the reserves.
Reply 4
i'm thinking of joining the army reserves when i turn 18, either 4LANCS or 6MI, by which time i'll be in my last of sixth form. is it worth joining in the last year just to leave a year later? or is it possible to take a gap year with them (not the gap year comission) and will i get deployed? And finally, is it possible to transfer to different units when i go to university?
Reply 5
Original post by ArmyJobs
Hi Everyone,

Fancy adding more adventure to your life?

Want to see what it’s like to work in a challenging new environment? Perhaps you want to train for a new career? Either way, the Army Reserve gives you the chance to develop your personal and professional skills in your spare time. With hundreds of roles available, there's more than one way to be the best!

Why join the Army Reserve?

Travel - Opportunity to train in places like Kenya or California

Skills - Earn military and civilian qualifications

Pay - Get paid for all of the training and Reserve duties you complete

Benefits - Joiners financial incentives and the opportunity to earn a tax free bonus every year

Fitness - Be trained by the best and become "Army Fit" in no time

If you serve in your spare time as an Army Reserve soldier or officer, you’ll earn the same rate of pay as your colleagues in the Regular Army. It’s a great way to put some extra cash in your wallet. Your pay covers time spent training and travelling to your unit, meals when on duty and a uniform. You also get a tax-free bonus if you train for a certain number of days each year. The more training you do, the more you get.

Check out Reservist rates of pay here: http://bit.ly/ReservistPay

Below are a few FAQ's:

How old do I have to be?:
To join the Army Reserve you need to be 18. You can apply to join when you are 17 years and 9 months old, so that you're ready to join on your 18th birthday.

Maximum ages for joining the Reservists:
To join as a soldier, you must apply by the time you are 49 years and 11 months. You must start Phase 1 training by your 51st birthday, and be in Phase 2 by your 52nd birthday
To join as an officer, you must apply by the time you are 48 years and 9 months. You must start your training by your 50th birthday
Rejoiners can still join as a soldier until their 52nd birthday, and as an officer (if they have previously commissioned) until their 57th birthday.

Can I leave?:

As a Reservist, you can leave at any time you want, unless you've been mobilised. You can leave just after you've joined, during training or even if you've already joined your unit. If you decide at any point that the Army isn't for you, or your life changes and you can no longer give it as much time, all you need to do is tell your superiors. They'll check that you really do want to leave and explain the procedure to you.

Are there any incentives to join?:

You will get these extra payments on top of your tax-free bounty (paid on meeting your annual minimum commitment) and your Army Reserve salary:

£300 when you’re accepted on to training

£1,000 when you complete your Phase 1 training

£1,000 when you complete your Phase 2 training

Incentive payments for ex-Regulars:As an ex-Regular you can get up to £10,000 on top of the tax-free bounty (paid on meeting your minimum annual commitment) and your Army Reserve salary.You could get:

£2,000 on approval by the CO of your Army Reserve unit

£3,000 after completing your first year full training commitment

£3,000 after completing your second year full training commitment

£2,000 after completing your third year full training commitment

To be eligible you must meet these conditions:

You must have completed at least four years Regular service with the rank of Captain or below

You must join the Army Reserve after 1st January 2014

You must have left the Regular Army no more than six years before enlisting in the Army Reserve

You must have applied for and be capable of employment in a post approved by an Army Reserve unit CO

You must be Medically Fully Deployable (MFD) or Medically Limited Deployable (MLD)

Is there any commitment?:
Depending on the unit you join, your minimum training commitment could be 19 or 27 days a year.

For more information on roles available and more on the Army Reserve check out the links below:

Army Reserve: http://bit.ly/TSRArmyReserve
Role Finder: http://bit.ly/TSRRoleFinder

Any questions you have on the Army Reserve, we are happy to answer!

Regards
ArmyJobs

How does training work if the regular version of what I want to do takes a whole year?
ArmyJobs - Can a woman join the 7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery as a Reservist? Thanks. Also, am I correct in thinking you would join as a Gunner-Light Gunner to get into this regiment? :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by no2573571
ArmyJobs - Can a woman join the 7th Parachute Regiment Royal Horse Artillery as a Reservist? Thanks. Also, am I correct in thinking you would join as a Gunner-Light Gunner to get into this regiment? :smile:

7 RHA are a regular regiment, so you wouldn't be able to join them as a reservist. Women do serve in the regular RHA troops, I have a friend who served with them.

The Army Jobs account on TSR hasn't been online since 2016, you'll have more luck having a look on the army website or by popping into your local armed forces careers office.

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/the-army-reserve/
Original post by moonkatt
7 RHA are a regular regiment, so you wouldn't be able to join them as a reservist. Women do serve in the regular RHA troops, I have a friend who served with them.

The Army Jobs account on TSR hasn't been online since 2016, you'll have more luck having a look on the army website or by popping into your local armed forces careers office.

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/the-army-reserve/

Thank you so much for your response. Very helpful. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest