The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Should I go to LJMU?

Hi guys, I have an offer to study history at LJMU for 280 ucas points (BBC) and love the city itself. However, I want to go into teaching afterwards, and was wondering whether or not going to a uni ranked below 80 in the league tables would ruin my chances of getting on to a PGCE and then getting a job?

Would this happen? Is it a good uni?

Only serious answers please and no comparing to the UoL

Thanks
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Liverpool
Hey,

Well done on your offer. To be honest, the only thing that would ruin your chances of getting a job/doing a PGCE is not putting the work in and getting a poor degree grade. A 2:1 is a 2:1 regardless of the Uni and when you apply for a PGCE one of the big deciders is the experience you've had. That's something you'll have to get no matter what Uni you're at.

I work with two people who do PGCE's at LJMU they seem to enjoy it, seems like a very practical course.

Good luck with your decision!

Kerri

Original post by fungirl16
Hi guys, I have an offer to study history at LJMU for 280 ucas points (BBC) and love the city itself. However, I want to go into teaching afterwards, and was wondering whether or not going to a uni ranked below 80 in the league tables would ruin my chances of getting on to a PGCE and then getting a job?

Would this happen? Is it a good uni?

Only serious answers please and no comparing to the UoL

Thanks
Reply 3
I graduated from LJMU History this year and know plenty of people who have gone on to do a PGCE. There will be no problem in that area.
If you are sure that you want to do a PGCE then your uni ranking won't matter. If you change your mind over the course of the degree then you may run into difficulties later on in terms of your uni ranking and subject choice. But if you are set on doing a PGCE then you will have absolutely no problems with a degree from LJMU so long as you get your 2.1 and get plenty of work experience. LJMU is a popular uni for the PGCE too and it's actually quite competitive for the PGCE so get as much work experience as you can and work hard (Liverpool Hope is also really popular for the PGCE so if you get into LJMU for your undergrad you might want to apply to Hope for your PGCE as well as LJMU).
Best of luck :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending