The Student Room Group

Missing my firm offer intentionally

I applied to Imperial College London and Warwick for mathematics on a gap year. I firmed Imperial without thinking so hard about it, that wasn't very clever, as it happens. I later changed my mind, I want to study at Warwick, after giving much more careful consideration to the courses and what I wanted from university.

I asked the universities to allow me to switch my firm and conditional offers. It seems that that is unlikely though that that will not happen, since Warwick maths is a highly subscribed course. Warwick might not agree to it.

That's the problem. However, my Imperial College London offer requires me to get 1,1 in STEP II / STEP III. On the other hand, Warwick only requires me to get a STEP grade 2 in any STEP of my choosing.

Ergo, I will only take STEP II since I am subscribed for it atm, and thereby I will get my required grade for Warwick, Imperial will make me unsuccessful and I will go firm with Warwick on STEP results day. Does this plan seem viable to all you people? Can you foresee any problems with it?

Scroll to see replies

Well, it is strategic but something about this doesn't sound right to me.

If you are capable of doing well, I think you should maximise your potential. If you can meet your Imperial offer, and decide not to try, you're limiting yourself in a way.

However, I get that you prefer Warwick and I think your plan could work, so good luck if that is what you decide to do.
Reply 2
Why don't you want to go to ICL?
Original post by vela1
Why don't you want to go to ICL?

I like the course at Warwick more, it's more flexible, 3 years at Warwick will cost me less than 3 years at Imperial. I like Warwick's campus and accommodation more also.

The offer from Imperial also has something to do with it, giving me a Cambridge maths offer (I concede that I am on a gap year) for a course that isn't at Cambridge ticked me off a little also.
Call Imperial and ask them to cancel your application then Warwick will become your firm and only choose.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Call Imperial and ask them to cancel your application then Warwick will become your firm and only choose.

Would that it were that simple, you still need your insurance to agree otherwise you just get released to clearing. I'd in essence have the same problem I have with switching out Imperial and Warwick.
After reading the additional comments I think your plan makes sense.

Though I hope you've thought it through, don't do something you'll regret.
Original post by SimonTam
I applied to Imperial College London and Warwick for mathematics on a gap year. I firmed Imperial without thinking so hard about it, that wasn't very clever, as it happens. I later changed my mind, I want to study at Warwick, after giving much more careful consideration to the courses and what I wanted from university.

I asked the universities to allow me to switch my firm and conditional offers. It seems that that is unlikely though that that will not happen, since Warwick maths is a highly subscribed course. Warwick might not agree to it.

That's the problem. However, my Imperial College London offer requires me to get 1,1 in STEP II / STEP III. On the other hand, Warwick only requires me to get a STEP grade 2 in any STEP of my choosing.

Ergo, I will only take STEP II since I am subscribed for it atm, and thereby I will get my required grade for Warwick, Imperial will make me unsuccessful and I will go firm with Warwick on STEP results day. Does this plan seem viable to all you people? Can you foresee any problems with it?

Have you declared your STEP III on your application as pending? If so, not taking it could cause you problems, and you should at least inform the unis you are not taking it (in this circumstance they can revoke their offers, even if the exam doesn't form part of your offer).

The obvious thing to do is just to ask Imperial to release you from your offer. This will cause Warwick to become your firm. You'd lack an insurance offer, but as you don't want to go to Imperial, this isn't a major issue.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Have you declared your STEP III on your application as pending? If so, not taking it could cause you problems, and you should at least inform the unis you are not taking it (in this circumstance they can revoke their offers, even if the exam doesn't form part of your offer).

The obvious thing to do is just to ask Imperial to release you from your offer. This will cause Warwick to become your firm. You'd lack an insurance offer, but as you don't want to go to Imperial, this isn't a major issue.

I had the sense at least not to specify which STEP exams I was going to take in my application, both on my PS and on my listed qualifications (at least now I see it was good sense, hehe :smile: )

Are you sure that will work? As I understand it, if you ask to be released from your firm choice, you still need agreement from your insurance lest you be released into clearing. I would in essence have the same problem I've had with trying to switch my firm and insurance offers, as I understand it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito

You can sit the exam but just not answer any questions, so technically have taken it.
Your idea as it stands is bad.

What you should do is sit both STEP I and STEP II. Try really hard on STEP I, as its the first exam, to secure at least a 2. If you are able to do this, and you are confident you have done this, flop STEP II and that should get you into warwick.

Aiming for a 2 in STEP II is much more difficult. And if you do mess up STEP I at least you can have a go at getting at least a 2 in STEP II.
I had the sense at least not to specify which STEP exams I was going to take in my application, both on my PS and on my listed qualifications (at least now I see it was good sense, hehe :smile: )

Are you sure that will work? As I understand it, if you ask to be released from your firm choice, you still need agreement from your insurance lest you be released into clearing. I would in essence have the same problem I've had with trying to switch my firm and insurance offers, as I understand it.

You're right that you need agreement from both.

Have you actually spoken to Warwick?

Simply not taking a STEP exam would not guarantee a rejection from Imperial - you could get EEE and Imperial could still chose to take you and cause your Warwick offer to disappear in August. Trying to miss you Firm offer is just daft - I haven't heard of a case of someone wanting to switch their Firm at this point that has been refused.

Just. Speak to Warwick.
Original post by PQ
You're right that you need agreement from both.

Have you actually spoken to Warwick?

Simply not taking a STEP exam would not guarantee a rejection from Imperial - you could get EEE and Imperial could still chose to take you and cause your Warwick offer to disappear in August. Trying to miss you Firm offer is just daft - I haven't heard of a case of someone wanting to switch their Firm at this point that has been refused.

Just. Speak to Warwick.

Read through my OP, I already have spoken to Warwick, Imperial and UCAS. There is a chance though, that they won't confirm the change from insurance to firm.

If Warwick does not agree in the end, and Warwick does not allow me to change (since it's a highly subscribed course) in this case I'm asking people if my plan will work.

As for the former, yeah, it won't guarantee me a rejection but I'm asking if it's a good shot. Some of this comes down to whether or not Imperial will take a person who only fulfilled slightly less than half of their offer.

Original post by Xin Xang
Your idea as it stands is bad.

What you should do is sit both STEP I and STEP II. Try really hard on STEP I, as its the first exam, to secure at least a 2. If you are able to do this, and you are confident you have done this, flop STEP II and that should get you into warwick.

Aiming for a 2 in STEP II is much more difficult. And if you do mess up STEP I at least you can have a go at getting at least a 2 in STEP II.

Yeah, that would be a better plan, I did think of sitting STEP I but it is now too late to sign up for it either way. I'm confident can get a 2 in STEP II without issue either way.
(edited 8 years ago)
I was going to go to imperial to do maths. To be honest I am very happy I didn't that university has a reputation amongst us mathematicians and I am stressed enough as it is. Although I am not sure Warwick will be much better on that front.
Original post by Mathlover123
I was going to go to imperial to do maths. To be honest I am very happy I didn't that university has a reputation amongst us mathematicians and I am stressed enough as it is. Although I am not sure Warwick will be much better on that front.

Ah really, what kind of reputation? And where did you go in the end, then, if you don't mind me asking?

I had offers from UCL and Warwick (aswell as Bath and Bristol) for maths, firmed Warwick and put Bath as back up and am taking STEP 1 and AEA (I dont think its too late to sign up). My question is isnt that a pretty hefty back up to have? Like, I would have chosen UCL as my back up if it wasnt A*A*A, I chose Bath as only A*AA.
Original post by ez_accountancy
You can sit the exam but just not answer any questions, so technically have taken it.

Wouldn't look great on paper - something to explain to employers down the road. If OP is good enough for Warwick maths, I'm guessing he might want to apply to the kinds of employer who would care about a question mark over his academic record. Better not to take it at all, from that perspective.
IMO you should just stick with Imperial, it's 100x better.
Original post by TurboCretin
Wouldn't look great on paper - something to explain to employers down the road. If OP is good enough for Warwick maths, I'm guessing he might want to apply to the kinds of employer who would care about a question mark over his academic record. Better not to take it at all, from that perspective.

How would an employer see your STEP grades without you mentioning them? I don't think you're obligated to declare entrance exam marks on a job application, as you are with A-levels, are you?

I think you're right in principle, I did withdraw from STEP 3 to avoid any complications. Nonetheless, if I did stay registered for STEP 3 and simply not turn up, I wouldn't have to make that explicit in the future, or?
How would an employer see your STEP grades without you mentioning them? I don't think you're obligated to declare entrance exam marks on a job application, as you are with A-levels, are you?

I think you're right in principle, I did withdraw from STEP 3 to avoid any complications. Nonetheless, if I did stay registered for STEP 3 and simply not turn up, I wouldn't have to make that explicit in the future, or?

Do step III, i find it sightly easier then II.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending