The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel English Literature: Understanding Poetry 2015 Friday *official thread*

This thread is about GCSE Edexcel English Literature: Understanding Poetry 2015 Friday.

How did you find the unseen?
Which poem did you choose if you did the Clashes and Collisions section?

Scroll to see replies

I thought the unseen poem was a good one, it wasn't too hard to analyse.
What did you think? :top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Ciara_lawlor98
I thought the unseen poem was a good one, it wasn't too hard to analyse.
What did you think? :top:

I'm guessing you done the ins won the woman working? What was the name of the poem again? Thx and also did you do the relationships collection HT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I did the relationship questions and the poem was called something like women at work... I can't remember exactly :dontknow:
Reply 4
The poem was called 'Woman Work' - Maya Angelou.

One of my friends studied this in class before the exam as a practice and it came up! lucky her!
It was okay! I compared it to Cousin Kate, strange choice i know but it worked!
Reply 6
Original post by isabellagrace
It was okay! I compared it to Cousin Kate, strange choice i know but it worked!

There's really no right / wrong. i did Half-caste. what did you write about the unseen?
Reply 7
Unseen posed no problem to most of my class and myself yet the bloody comparison screwed me over :/ I don't like Hitcher and I think the poem I chose to compare it to wasn't that appropriate hence my lack of points :'(
I
Original post by bitch.craft
There's really no right / wrong. i did Half-caste. what did you write about the unseen?

I really like it! I wrote about like first the obvious things like how long stanza shows never ending nature of her work and how the rhymingcouplets show how structured and repetitive her days are etc, but then I ran out of things to say, got a bit ambiguous and out like how nature is personified suggests her lonliness and it is her only solace as she does not have anyone else, and how the short clauses followed by enjambment showed like how she feels she is trapped by her monotone and restricting routine but wishes she could be free and unrestrained (like the running sentences). I linked that to also how the first stanza had rhyme but the others did not, they were unrestrained. Yeah, it starting getting real crazy. I did not know what to put hahahaha. What did you do?

I am so annoyed i did not take note of the picking cotton and really hot oarts as I should have noticed it was set in the southern states of america, and the fried chicken too! Lots of people at my school noticed it :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by isabellagrace
I

I really like it! I wrote about like first the obvious things like how long stanza shows never ending nature of her work and how the rhymingcouplets show how structured and repetitive her days are etc, but then I ran out of things to say, got a bit ambiguous and out like how nature is personified suggests her lonliness and it is her only solace as she does not have anyone else, and how the short clauses followed by enjambment showed like how she feels she is trapped by her monotone and restricting routine but wishes she could be free and unrestrained (like the running sentences). I linked that to also how the first stanza had rhyme but the others did not, they were unrestrained. Yeah, it starting getting real crazy. I did not know what to put hahahaha. What did you do?

I am so annoyed i did not take note of the picking cotton and really hot oarts as I should have noticed it was set in the southern states of america, and the fried chicken too! Lots of people at my school noticed it :frown:

Yeah i mentioned the same points. i said that nature seemed to be the only way of escapism for her. i got the cotton picking wrong i said that it could suggest african slavery in america (i know :s) but oh well im sure i wont get marked down for that. :frown:
Reply 10
I mentioned that the she could have possibly used death as an escape - gave evidence (can't remember what).
Then said that last stanza when it is said that the moon glow, star shine, mountains etc are her items or something maybe symbolises that her corpse has assimilated with "mother" earth - another woman - and thus she can claim it her own.

Also, the seasons symbolise mother nature herself and the way she also works tirelessly through the seasons. The fact that the speaker refers to the 'Storm' and the 'Sunshine' as beings indicates the possibility of some sort of negotiation maybe...wrote something along those lines, what do you guys think?

For whoever did Clashes and Collisions, how did you guys find it?
Original post by bitch.craft
Yeah i mentioned the same points. i said that nature seemed to be the only way of escapism for her. i got the cotton picking wrong i said that it could suggest african slavery in america (i know :s) but oh well im sure i wont get marked down for that. :frown:

It could have been! I knew a bit though as we had studied Maya Angelou in like year 9 and her poems were set in the 60s/70s i just forgot america :frown:
Original post by Akashi
I mentioned that the she could have possibly used death as an escape - gave evidence (can't remember what).
Then said that last stanza when it is said that the moon glow, star shine, mountains etc are her items or something maybe symbolises that her corpse has assimilated with "mother" earth - another woman - and thus she can claim it her own.

Also, the seasons symbolise mother nature herself and the way she also works tirelessly through the seasons. The fact that the speaker refers to the 'Storm' and the 'Sunshine' as beings indicates the possibility of some sort of negotiation maybe...wrote something along those lines, what do you guys think?

For whoever did Clashes and Collisions, how did you guys find it?

That sounds really good! I like the point about the seasons! It was okay, i rambled though ;( you?
Reply 13
I hated the second section COMPLETELY; Hitcher isn't a poem I like and the poem I compared against restricted me but it was practically too late to change - what did you compare it against?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Did any of you do the relationships question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me
I used some literary devices (and explained their effect) like lists, rhyming couplets, repetition, irony, stanza and stanza lengths but I didn't mention personification so my answer didn't have a substantial amount on imagery. I also didn't mention tone at all :frown: How many marks do you think I'll lose for this? Comparison was so much better - I did the Taking A Stand and they gave us an easy poem which many had practiced before!
For the unseen I put

Rhyming couplets in the first stanza show repetition of her life and how she wants to escape her daily life

The quote "I've got" shows how her life is a chore and the lack of rhyming couplets in the rest of the poem shows how when you are asleep your dreams are random and have no structure and how the only time the voice of the poem gets rest is when she's asleep.

The use of caesura, "fall gently,snowflakes" shows emphasis on the words fall gently which shows how she wants to escape the hardship of her daily life and this is not the job she wants to do. The word "snowflakes" further shows how she doesnt want to do this job because being physically active is usually associated with getting hot and snowflakes are cold which shows contrast.

I also talked about something paralleling her life
Oh God I somewhat misunderstood the poem... Oh god im screwed :frown: I was a mess after the exam. I spoke about the enjambment: non-stop working, no caesura in first stanza: no breaks or pauses in a woman's work if theyre in a position of a housewife. I looked at `I've gotta'; I: has to do it alone without help or assistance, gotta: no choice, has to due to her inferior position in society before the woman's right movement. Also said that it seems that Angelou seems to admire the capability of housewife's in completing such a wide range of chores in a short span of time.

I misunderstood the following stanzas. UGHH.... I said that she walks non-stop throughout all the seasons, emphasised through the first word of each stanza from 2-5, presenting a different season. I said that the last stanza is ambigious -_- and that its left for the reader to explore their own thoughts... I said that there are two interpretations: she possesses nothing of her own (presents inferior position) but can only have nature or, she has earned being able to possess nature and the world due to her hard work and continuous contribution to her family and society.

I feel like rubbish... Its no longer about getting an A* now, just that A... :frown:

I compared Hitcher to Cousin Kate.
Original post by anonymousblogger
Oh God I somewhat misunderstood the poem... Oh god im screwed :frown: I was a mess after the exam. I spoke about the enjambment: non-stop working, no caesura in first stanza: no breaks or pauses in a woman's work if theyre in a position of a housewife. I looked at `I've gotta'; I: has to do it alone without help or assistance, gotta: no choice, has to due to her inferior position in society before the woman's right movement. Also said that it seems that Angelou seems to admire the capability of housewife's in completing such a wide range of chores in a short span of time.

I misunderstood the following stanzas. UGHH.... I said that she walks non-stop throughout all the seasons, emphasised through the first word of each stanza from 2-5, presenting a different season. I said that the last stanza is ambigious -_- and that its left for the reader to explore their own thoughts... I said that there are two interpretations: she possesses nothing of her own (presents inferior position) but can only have nature or, she has earned being able to possess nature and the world due to her hard work and continuous contribution to her family and society.

I feel like rubbish... Its no longer about getting an A* now, just that A... :frown:

I compared Hitcher to Cousin Kate.

Don't stress! The beauty of the poetry exam is that it's your own opinion, as long as you can justify it then you will get marks. The only can comment on it exactly is the poet themselves

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending