Danni_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone ,

I'm in AS right now and i'm hoping to apply for Pharmacy or Pharmacology at uni, however, i'm a bit confused about courses. In the future I would like to work in the pharmaceutical industry but I'm not sure about which course would be better. I'm also considering biochemistry (still with the same career path in mind).
Clens
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi Danni_,

Sorry that no-one's replied, maybe I can help a little. Pharmacy is the more respected degree; you cannot become a pharmacist with a pharmacology degree - although a career as a pharmacy technician would be possible. There's a lot more information that deals directly with your question on this site: http://pharmacistsalaryguide.com/pha...cy-technician/

Hope it helps
cptschwm
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Disagree with what the other poster said about Pharmacy being more respected, way to mindlessly bash Pharamacology...
Anyway, if you want a career in research then Pharmacology would be a much better degree. You can do research using after both degreea but if youre research/lab minded then youll enjoy pharmacology much more.

Do Pharmacy if youre interested in dispensing, law, ethics and getting the drug to the patient. Do Pharmacology if youre interested in drug mechanisms. Im a recent Pharmacology graduate, PM me if you need anymore advice.

(Original post by Danni_)
Hi everyone ,

I'm in AS right now and i'm hoping to apply for Pharmacy or Pharmacology at uni, however, i'm a bit confused about courses. In the future I would like to work in the pharmaceutical industry but I'm not sure about which course would be better. I'm also considering biochemistry (still with the same career path in mind).
Unicornstar8
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm confused on this
Mr Optimist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are pharmaceutical science courses out there. You can also use pharmacology and chemistry etc to get into the pharmaceutical industry, and you can certainly use pharmacy. However, pharmacy as a course is more tailored for you working as a pharmacist. Some universities are heavier in terms of their industrial pharmacy side of things, so you should take take into account if you want to apply to pharmacy.

However do note, if you apply to pharmacy and you're only interested in the pharmaceutical science then you may struggle as the course is quite integrated with so many different aspects. Therefore if you're purely interested in industry then I'd advice you to not go into pharmacy.
Unicornstar8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mr Optimist)
There are pharmaceutical science courses out there. You can also use pharmacology and chemistry etc to get into the pharmaceutical industry, and you can certainly use pharmacy. However, pharmacy as a course is more tailored for you working as a pharmacist. Some universities are heavier in terms of their industrial pharmacy side of things, so you should take take into account if you want to apply to pharmacy.

However do note, if you apply to pharmacy and you're only interested in the pharmaceutical science then you may struggle as the course is quite integrated with so many different aspects. Therefore if you're purely interested in industry then I'd advice you to not go into pharmacy.
So I'm better off doing pharmacy
Mr Optimist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Unicornstar8)
So I'm better off doing pharmacy
Well that depends on you. I am not sure what your circumstances are so I cannot properly advice you. But what I can tell you is that pharmacy is in a tough spot at the moment so make you sure you're absolutely certain you want to be a pharmacist before embarking on the Mpharm degree.
Unicornstar8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well that depends on you. I am not sure what your circumstances are so I cannot properly advice you. But what I can tell you is that pharmacy is in a tough spot at the moment so make you sure you're absolutely certain you want to be a pharmacist before embarking on the Mpharm degree.
I'm more interested in research but apparently you could go into to that route with a pharmacy degree
Mr Optimist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm more interested in research but apparently you could go into to that route with a pharmacy degree
You could but that is not a route I recommend unless you're also willing to put in all the effort for the course most of which is composed of the non industry aspect. If you're just interested in industry then you may struggle. Pharmacy course is very intense.
Unicornstar8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You could but that is not a route I recommend unless you're also willing to put in all the effort for the course most of which is composed of the non industry aspect. If you're just interested in industry then you may struggle. Pharmacy course is very intense.
What did you do?
Mr Optimist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What did you do?
I am a final year pharmacy student.
Unicornstar8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I am a final year pharmacy student.
Would you have preferred do pharmacology
What are you going to do after pharmacy?
Mr Optimist
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would you have preferred do pharmacology
What are you going to do after pharmacy?
I wanted to work as a pharmacist and become an expert in the clinical use of medicines etc. As a pharmacists, we're part pharmacologists when you think about it, but obviously a pharmacology degree would not allow me to work as a pharmacist. It all depends what you're interested. In pharmacology you learn alot more about the science of the medicines, but a pharmacy degree will combine the science, clinical guidelines, physical aspects and of course the pharmaceutical aspects etc.

I have a lot of love for my pharmacologist colleagues If I was interested in doing a subject other than pharmacy, I would have probably done pharmacology for my undergraduate course.
Unicornstar8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wanted to work as a pharmacist and become an expert in the clinical use of medicines etc. As a pharmacists, we're part pharmacologists when you think about it, but obviously a pharmacology degree would not allow me to work as a pharmacist. It all depends what you're interested. In pharmacology you learn alot more about the science of the medicines, but a pharmacy degree will combine the science, clinical guidelines, physical aspects and of course the pharmaceutical aspects etc.

I have a lot of love for my pharmacologist colleagues If I was interested in doing a subject other than pharmacy, I would have probably done pharmacology for my undergraduate course.
Oh fair enough
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.55%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.54%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.21%
I need help with my personal statement (90)
42.06%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.3%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.87%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.48%

Watched Threads