The Student Room Group

B Salters F332 Chemistry of Natural Resources 2nd June 2015 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KINGYusuf
Guys why is this permanent-dipole permanent-dipole forces & not Hydrogen bonding? Confused :/

H bonding only occurs when hydrogen bonds with Nitrogen, Oxygen or Fluorine.
Are there any main recurring patterns in f332? I am so nervous!
Original post by sharp018
Are there any main recurring patterns in f332? I am so nervous!

Usually every 3 years things return, what I do is look at previous exams and see what hasn't come up in a while. For example, for F331 it had been a while since stuff on the periodic table showed up, so I revised more for that in anticipation that it will come up, and of course it did.
Original post by Tomm1998
Usually every 3 years things return, what I do is look at previous exams and see what hasn't come up in a while. For example, for F331 it had been a while since stuff on the periodic table showed up, so I revised more for that in anticipation that it will come up, and of course it did.

Could you make some predictions about f332 using that pattern?
Reply 24
Original post by Tomm1998

Its not necessarily every 3 years, its weighted. In the course of a couple of years with jan exams etc. the whole spec will be covered. For example 1 and 2 markers on the intermolecular forces will give an indication that a big one is to feature.

This year: Homogenous Catalysts.
^dont sleep on them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
For all those interested, I have compiled a list of stuff that hasnt come up in recent years, at the expense of little preparation for the Advance Notice. If you would like to exchange advance notice stuff for the list PM me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by vuvuzela
Its not necessarily every 3 years, its weighted. In the course of a couple of years with jan exams etc. the whole spec will be covered. For example 1 and 2 markers on the intermolecular forces will give an indication that a big one is to feature.

This year: Homogenous Catalysts.
^dont sleep on them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Define a Homogenous Catalyst
Pros and Cons of Homogeneous Catalyst (pre-release)
and:
"use le Chatelier’s principle to describe and predict, in a
homogeneous reaction, the qualitative effects on the
position of equilibrium of changes in the following
conditions: concentration, temperature, pressure;"

Apart from maybe the pros and cons of homogenous catalyst - I can't see any way they can make a big question on it? Chatelier is usually only 3 marks and the definition is usually 2?
Reply 27
This comes up in the OCR B Salters spec, anyone know what it means / how you would answer it??? Its talking about electrophilic addition mechanism

"explain how the products obtained when other anions are present confirm the model of the mechanism"
Reply 28
Original post by SSD07
This comes up in the OCR B Salters spec, anyone know what it means / how you would answer it??? Its talking about electrophilic addition mechanism

"explain how the products obtained when other anions are present confirm the model of the mechanism"

Needs context. Post the whole question or something

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Would anyone be able to explain why H2S is polar?

I would have thought it would be non-polar as the 2 H-S dipoles cancel out but mark scheme says it is polar. Do the 2 lone pairs have any effect on why it is polar?
Original post by Welbeck
Would anyone be able to explain why H2S is polar?

I would have thought it would be non-polar as the 2 H-S dipoles cancel out but mark scheme says it is polar. Do the 2 lone pairs have any effect on why it is polar?

Yes the two lone pairs will exist at one end of the molecule, and bend the H-S bonds, forcing them closer together. However, you end up with lone pairs at one region (slightly negative) and hydrogens bonded at the other end (slightly positive) creating a polar charge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SSD07

This is referring to when Br-Br attacks a molecule. In the first stage, Br-Br breaks and attacks the double bond molecule. This leaves a carbocation to which any other anions can attack. If there were some Chlorine anions, for instance, these could bond, forming a molecule with both a C-Br bond and a C-Cl bond in place of where a double bond once existed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi does anyone have the June 2014 paper??

Posted from TSR Mobile
There will usually be some sort of ionic lattice diagram, a conversion from molcm^3 to gcm^3 question or another concentration calculation of the like, some sort of electrophillc addition reaction question mechanism (although this could be possible more for the advanced notice question) so maybe a nucleophilic substitution question so learn reagents and conditions. Did the paper last year and the reagents and reaction equations were mainly where I lost marks.
Can someone give me a list of:
uses for the halogens
their state and colour at room temps and
the reactions and colours that form when mixed with silver chloride please!

these always come up and i never get them right, thanks
Anyone got any stuff or predictions for the Advanced Notice?
Reply 36
Original post by KINGYusuf
Guys why is this permanent-dipole permanent-dipole forces & not Hydrogen bonding? Confused :/

because chloromethane does not contain any O, N or F atoms.

hydrogen bonding ONLY OCCURS when a hydrogen that is bonded to an O (from the water molecule) bonds to one of these atoms.

It is permanent diplole-permanent dipole bonding, as chloromethane has a Cl atom, Cl is highly electronegative and therefore this molecule has a dipole, as there is a negative charge at one end of the chloromethane. This is why the strongest bonding it can do is pd-pd. hope that makes sense. Explained it in note form ,feel free to ask if you don't get it, and ill explain properly
Reply 37
Can someone please explain how you do this. really don't get it.
Reply 38
someone please explain how you change from moldm^3 to gdm^3
Reply 39
Original post by Fangedbeast
Define a Homogenous Catalyst
Pros and Cons of Homogeneous Catalyst (pre-release)
and:
"use le Chatelier’s principle to describe and predict, in a
homogeneous reaction, the qualitative effects on the
position of equilibrium of changes in the following
conditions: concentration, temperature, pressure;"

Apart from maybe the pros and cons of homogenous catalyst - I can't see any way they can make a big question on it? Chatelier is usually only 3 marks and the definition is usually 2?

what are the pros and cons of a homogenous catalyst???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending