Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At our school we started learning German in year 9 and have taken a GCSE course starting in year 10. Because of this late start and little to non-existent teaching I am worried about the OCR German exams that are coming up in 2 weeks.

I have been getting A*s in my mocks thanks to the vocab I do know as well as good guessing (I do French as well so I'm very used to the format of the papers) but there is so much I do not know.

I was wondering if people could help me in suggesting good ways to revise for German in a way that I would feel more comfortable going into the exams. If you were in a similar situation in the past or know what I mean, any help/support would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hallo!

I'm just coming to the end of my A-Level in German, so hopefully my advice can be of some use!

Do you know Quizlet? I find that really useful for revising vocab - you can make lists based on different topics, e.g. media, sport, holidays, and then scatter the words and match them up, or do flash cards. I used to find having pictures to accompany vocab was really useful too, if a bit tedious!

For listening, it's really helpful to search beginners German listening exercises on Youtube and make some notes on what they say in English. Also, listening to German radio like 1 Live is good because you get used to the accents and soaking up some words, and watching German TV shows on Youtube is fun as well - when I was doing GCSE I used to love Türkisch für Anfänger (Turkish for Beginners), which is really funny. i actually didn't do much revision, I just watched that haha!

For reading, you could try reading well known children's stories or fables in German, so that you already know the plot but can just pick up vocab.

The absolute best thing though is to get a German pen pal - then you can practice writing and reading. Maybe ask your teacher if they can get in touch with a school in Germany and set up an email exchange - I'm certain that every German student would love to have an English person to talk to as well! Maybe your school will do an exchange anyway, in which case DO IT as it'll be the best experience of your life - my exchange partner is basically my best friend now! You can also use websites like Interpals to find people, but just be careful who you're talking to and what information you're giving out.

If you have any other questions about GCSE or A-Level German feel free to ask!

Ich wünsche dir alles gut zum GCSE Deutsch, sie ist natürlich die beste Sprache der Welt! Viel spaß!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by REL_96)
    Hallo!

I'm just coming to the end of my A-Level in German, so hopefully my advice can be of some use!

Do you know Quizlet? I find that really useful for revising vocab - you can make lists based on different topics, e.g. media, sport, holidays, and then scatter the words and match them up, or do flash cards. I used to find having pictures to accompany vocab was really useful too, if a bit tedious!

For listening, it's really helpful to search beginners German listening exercises on Youtube and make some notes on what they say in English. Also, listening to German radio like 1 Live is good because you get used to the accents and soaking up some words, and watching German TV shows on Youtube is fun as well - when I was doing GCSE I used to love Türkisch für Anfänger (Turkish for Beginners), which is really funny. i actually didn't do much revision, I just watched that haha!

For reading, you could try reading well known children's stories or fables in German, so that you already know the plot but can just pick up vocab.

The absolute best thing though is to get a German pen pal - then you can practice writing and reading. Maybe ask your teacher if they can get in touch with a school in Germany and set up an email exchange - I'm certain that every German student would love to have an English person to talk to as well! Maybe your school will do an exchange anyway, in which case DO IT as it'll be the best experience of your life - my exchange partner is basically my best friend now! You can also use websites like Interpals to find people, but just be careful who you're talking to and what information you're giving out.

If you have any other questions about GCSE or A-Level German feel free to ask!

Ich wünsche dir alles gut zum GCSE Deutsch, sie ist natürlich die beste Sprache der Welt! Viel spaß!
    Wow such great advice, vielen Dank There's so much there I can do, you've been so helpful!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.