The Student Room Group

Accused of coping another students work.

Copying not coping. *

My personal tutor is marking my work personally as I took a year out to have a baby and the course had changed so I could not join the others. He is also marking another students' work in the same way as she took time out for depression.
He isn't a nice person and I have complained about his behaviour to the university and the student Union so he doesn't like me now. A few students have complained about him it isn't just me.He's now claiming my work is too similar to the other woman's work that he marked a few weeks ago. That's interesting since ive never even seen her essay. He has shown me both essays and there are definite similarities but this is just chance as we haven't seen each other's work. The ideas expressed are pretty well known and would be included in all students work so I genuinely think he's just being horrible as i complained about him.

What will happen now? I can't get an answer from the university so thought I would see if anyone can offer advice.If I have previously complained about him surely he would be biased and shouldnt be marking my work?

The complaint was relating to the fact he was supposed to be giving me personal tuition on a weekly basis but he wasn't replying to emails and did not give me the tuition he was supposed t
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,
I'm doing A Levels at the moment and I kind of have the same issue. I wrote a similar quotation analysis to that of one online and I only found it AFTER I had given in my essay. The trouble is, a bit of that information that was on there was also given out during one of the lessons so I am in high hopes that it doesn't mean that I get done for it. When my Literature teacher was explaining the plagiarism process to us - i.e. What happens if we get done for it, one of my friends asked what the outcome would be if you received two similar essays and she said that most of the time an exam officer/marker can tell if it has been plagiarised - thus primarily being caused by the wording of the paragraphs.

If he really is marking you down based on the complaint that you made rather than your academic achievement - something must be done. Complaints are used to critique and improve, they shouldn't be the basis of a low grade. If you generally feel like he is subjecting you to this because of what you said, see those that deal with issues at the Uni. It isn't right and, if not dealt with, can have really bad consequences.

You can never really prove the authenticity of your work but, they should believe you. Plus, they should also ask the other girl as regards to whether she has had any contact with you since you began writing the essay - That will rest your case.

Hope this helped x
Can you put it through Turnitin?
Reply 3
I gave used turnitin and it hasn't highighted any issues
Original post by Mezza362
Copying not coping. *

My personal tutor is marking my work personally as I took a year out to have a baby and the course had changed so I could not join the others. He is also marking another students' work in the same way as she took time out for depression.
He isn't a nice person and I have complained about his behaviour to the university and the student Union so he doesn't like me now. A few students have complained about him it isn't just me.He's now claiming my work is too similar to the other woman's work that he marked a few weeks ago. That's interesting since ive never even seen her essay. He has shown me both essays and there are definite similarities but this is just chance as we haven't seen each other's work. The ideas expressed are pretty well known and would be included in all students work so I genuinely think he's just being horrible as i complained about him.

What will happen now? I can't get an answer from the university so thought I would see if anyone can offer advice.If I have previously complained about him surely he would be biased and shouldnt be marking my work?

The complaint was relating to the fact he was supposed to be giving me personal tuition on a weekly basis but he wasn't replying to emails and did not give me the tuition he was supposed t

I don't think it's serious, hun. My friend's sister got an official warning from her Uni about something like this, but the irony is that someone copied HER work, and because the uni didn't know who to believe, they chastised her as well.
Oh dear what a shame
Reply 6
I feel your situation. I have always passed my work through my Turnitin account just to be sure. It is better way to avoid such issues.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending